Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 116551 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #850 on: 27 March 2024, 15:59 »
PS, get some photos up!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #851 on: 27 March 2024, 16:37 »
Picked up my second MK8 yesterday. A MK8 R Performance Pack with DCC. Hope it lasts longer than my ED45, which lasted about 2 months before selling it on and keeping my ED40. I think the ED40 will be finding a new home this time round.

Love the traction and the true manual shifting in special mode. Feels quicker than the ED45 and the S005 tyres are far better than the S001!

Should feel quite a bit faster than the ED45... the wonders of AWD!

And yes S005 is not the BS we got from BS on the 001's. Definitely not appalling the S005.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #852 on: 27 March 2024, 21:27 »
Oh, and unless absolutely necessary, don’t sell the Ed40, you’ll regret it.

Wise words Exonian! I am tempted to keep it but not sure I can justify running two golfs but at least the ED40 will not depreciate at that high a rate.

The car (Lapiz Blue) looked stunning when I picked it up but a wet drive changed that but hopefully I’ll get some pics up soon.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #853 on: 29 March 2024, 17:10 »
More photos in a week or so when I will summarise my initial thoughts but really like the car and very glad I bought it.

Looking a bit dirty at the moment. Love the Lapiz blue.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #854 on: 29 March 2024, 19:58 »
More photos in a week or so when I will summarise my initial thoughts but really like the car and very glad I bought it.

Looking a bit dirty at the moment. Love the Lapiz blue.

Perfect R imo wheels look mint!
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #855 on: 29 March 2024, 20:56 »
Love the nose to nose shot Paul70, you can really see the passed on design DNA.

How about a back to back mini review?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #856 on: 29 March 2024, 21:11 »
Finished off the half-done factory vinyls on my Clubby today, thanks to Aidan at Just Car Care for fitting them after its detail.

« Last Edit: 29 March 2024, 21:16 by The_Doc »
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #857 on: 29 March 2024, 22:26 »
Finishes it off nicely Doc  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #858 on: 29 March 2024, 22:45 »
Cheers @Exonian. I’m still not sure what made them leave it off in the first place. How’re you doing with the R? I went from a similar AWD hatch to the clubsport and I find I have way more fun than I used to in that.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #859 on: 29 March 2024, 23:08 »
Popular suspicion at the time of launch was that the car was going to be called GTI Cup but pulled as it was too close to Cupra. Probably a myth but would explain why they left half the decals off.

Three months in with the R and all it has done is rain, rain, rain so I guess the 4wd has had its uses.
These days I rarely get any fun from motoring. I’m either sat in a queue of traffic or gingerly commuting in the early morning wondering whether something with 4 legs and lots of body hair is roaming about around each corner. Not very exciting reading I’m afraid!
With the rear diff in the 8R it does corner similarly to the Clubby but the occasional slight torque steer is absent on the R when performing a rare (for me) overtaking manoeuvre.
If I’m honest I should’ve bought an up! GTI years ago and just ran that as the fun would have been more present in my real world daily driving. However I’m getting old so appreciate creature comforts and the IQ lights are a revelation in the dark mornings (and evenings).
Now the R is well run in with over 2k miles it would be interesting to take a Clubsport out for a spin again as a reminder of how they compare directly.
It might be my imagination but the R seems to pull slightly better at certain RPM, more cleanly if you like, but is significantly worse on fuel even when pootling around stuck behind slow traffic.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner