Author Topic: MK7.5 Fuel Consumption.  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
MK7.5 Fuel Consumption.
« on: 02 March 2024, 14:41 »
Over the past couple of months fuel consumption has been pretty poor, only short journeys of about 4 miles, all in traffic, rarely above 30mph and usually less than 2K rpm - c. 22-23mpg.
Longer run today, about 90 miles, mostly motorway at c.65 - 70 mph, only got 33mpg. Identical journey last year got 44mpg, albeit at 10mph faster.
Thoughts? GPF needs a regen? Italian tune up needed or something more serious?
No warning lights though exhaust does appear to be a bit louder sometimes (that might just be my imagination though)
Answers on a postcard please🙏
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: MK7.5 Fuel Consumption.
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2024, 15:12 »
It's trying to regen. Mine did the same, poor economy and a noisier exhaust. Also noticed the fans on after switch off. A good run and all was good afterwards.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2024, 15:20 »
It's trying to regen. Mine did the same, poor economy and a noisier exhaust. Also noticed the fans on after switch off. A good run and all was good afterwards.

Cheers Watts, ISTR that to regen, rpm needs to be in excess of 2K? Is that correct, if so, what you are saying makes perfect sense🤞🤞
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2024, 15:51 »

Cheers Watts, ISTR that to regen, rpm needs to be in excess of 2K? Is that correct, if so, what you are saying makes perfect sense🤞🤞

Not sure about the 2k, I just had a good steady run at motorway speeds and all was good again. It was trying to do it for about a week before hand, I was wondering if I had a hole in the exhaust! :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2024, 16:37 »

Not sure about the 2k, I just had a good steady run at motorway speeds and all was good again. It was trying to do it for about a week before hand, I was wondering if I had a hole in the exhaust! :laugh:

Sounds same as mine, I’ll put on some more coal on the way home next week👍🤞

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2024, 22:36 »
Agree sounds like a regen - first thing I notice is the exhaust sounding rather fruity, then the plummet in mpg - usually cured by a steady motorway run at 60mph or above.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2024, 08:57 by Rudedog »
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2024, 07:44 »
Agree sounds like a region - first thing I notice is the exhaust sounding rather fruity, then the plummet in mpg - usually cured by a steady motorway run at 60mph or above.

My car’s a 2020 Polo GTI+ with the 2.0 litre EA888 Gen 3b engine and a GPF. In the 3.5 years and 15.5k miles I’ve owned it from new there’s been three active / forced GPF regenerations and there are a few noticeable tell tale signs when it’s happening;
  • a louder - almost booming - exhaust note
  • a slight hesitancy and when accelerating and engine idle lumpiness
  • a hot smell
  • engine fan running
  • stop start is inactive, so the regen process can continue without interruption
  • significant worsening in fuel consumption; around a 30-35% deterioration in mpg. The process uses additional fuel to help raise the temperature in the exhaust so accumulated particulate matter in the GPF can be burned off
When I’m aware my cars performing a GPF regen and I’m getting towards the end of my journey, I’ll extend the journey a few minutes / miles if possible so that the process can complete. If not, it will recommence on the next (and subsequent) ignition cycle(s) until it’s finished. Normally with my car, it takes around 25-30 minutes for an active / forced GPF process to run; after that, everything’s back to normal again.

If you’re doing a high proportion of short journeys on an engine that’s not up to optimum temperature, you’ll experience more forced GPF regenerations than if you’re doing mainly long(er) journeys. On longer journeys on a fully warmed up engine, GPF regenerations will be passive and you’re unlikely to be aware of them happening as the exhaust temperatures will be sufficiently high to neutralise accumulated particulate matter in the GPF.

With my car, the process for helping to keep the GPF clear is use the car’s engine braking when the engine’s up to optimum operating temperature. This was recommended by @monkeyhanger (his wife owned a GPF equipped Polo GTI+). Quote from @monkeyhanger’s post on the Polo forum from a few years ago;

‘Engine braking pulls air through the engine that isn’t used in combustion of fuel ("motoring") and ends up in the exhaust where the oxygen is available to burn off the soot as CO2..

I do this periodically on longer journeys - when at cruising speed, drop a gear to increase the engine rpm’s and then let the car decelerate under its own steam to draw air into the exhaust, accelerate back up to cruising speed and then repeat the process a few times. This is actually the officially recommended process for clearing a blocked GPF that’s quoted in some Seat Leon owners manuals.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2024, 09:58 »
Thanks for taking the time to post the above, very useful info👍

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2024, 12:20 »
Thanks for taking the time to post the above, very useful info👍

You’re very welcome.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2024, 08:30 »
Up in the Lakes on holiday at the moment so got up early and went for a spirited drive along the A591 and A590 for about 35 miles. Followed SRGTD’s advice, lots of acceleration and coasting, all clear now. MPG normal and booming exhaust noise gone👍.