Author Topic: Paint!!!  (Read 1493 times)

Offline zxrmatt

• Not said much yet
Paint!!!
« on: 08 October 2004, 16:35 »
Removed a black sticky strip from my car over the wkend and found out why it was on there.

The car has been resprayed on wing and door, but only half way up! Hence sticky strip covering this up.

I have polished alot of the join out but on the wing it is a lot more noticable due to a ridge where new paint suddenly stops.

I want to rub this down to try and smooth out a bit. Could i use a very fine wet and dry compound to do this and if so, how fine a compound and any advice on best way to do it?

I`ve heard washing up liquid can be used instead of water?

Offline tobz.

• I live here
Re: Paint!!!
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2004, 16:45 »
Hi me again!
Another job I have just completed in the last couple of weeks (rubbed down doors and repainted up to the plastic rubbing strips on my doors). The finest grade of wet & dry is 1200 but this is still too coarse for blending in paint jobs. You need to get yourself some cutting compound, this comes in a what looks like a small pain tin and is available from all decent car accessory shops. It's a little bit coarser than t-cut but not as coarse as wet & dry.
Do not under any circumstances use washing-up liquid on your paintwork though. It dulls your paint big time, I can't remember the science behind it but there is a reason.

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline zxrmatt

• Not said much yet
Re: Paint!!!
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2004, 17:01 »
Cheers again Matey!  ;D