Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 11463 times)

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #20 on: 30 December 2023, 09:13 »

You will love the white car, isn’t too bad for keeping clean. I have had 4 previous white cars. 7.5 Golf R, Edition 40 GTI Clubsport, Audi S3 and Edition 35 GTI.

Lovely photos Davey, a great selection of whiteness!

Ok, Top Trumps time - I’ve had in white a mk1 GTI back in the day, followed by a white 205 1.9, then a white mk2 GTI (a whole spectrum of other colours in the middle) then a white mk7 PP, a white 7R, white mk7 GTD, white Ed40, white TCR, white mk8 Clubby and now Daisy.
I’m oblivious to micro swirls but tar spots are my nemesis! 😁

Some cracking cars there.  :smiley: I definitely think white is one of the best colours for the performance golfs, especially against the contrast of the black trim etc. I fancied a change this time a went for the lapiz blue which also comes up really well when clean which isn’t for long with the way the weather is at the minute. Congrats again on your new car and health to enjoy.
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 30 December 2023, 09:52 »
I know what you mean about the tar spots on a white car.  I currently have a pearl black Tiguan R, (although looks good, its not my first choice in colour as it was the colour they had on stock car and orders were being delayed for the obvious reasons at the same time last year).  From experience i can confirm Black is notorious for showing dirt, and all imperfections in the paintwork such as every scuff, hairline scratch etc  which would not be as obvious on a white car.  I think i would rather take my chances next time with tar spots on a white car again than have all scratches and scuffs being made blatantly obvious for everyone to see.  Oh and the matt/satin finish on golf/tiguan R mirror caps is even worse for showing scuffs and scratches...  i personally miss having the option for decent carbon mirror caps which support side assist and actually fit properly. As i would swap them instantly.  My last carbon mirror caps hid a lot more scratches etc than the satin silver caps do.

Totally agree on white v’s black paint colour. I’ve owned five black cars in the past and they look great when just cleaned, but keeping them looking that way is a real labour of love. Same goes for many other dark paint colours.

The Pure White paintwork on my Polo GTI+ is a doddle to maintain in comparison with previously owned black / dark coloured cars. It’s much easier to deal with a few tar spots on my white paintwork than having to get the machine polisher out to sort out the visible micro swirling on black / dark coloured paintwork. Even with my ‘safe’ three bucket wash method, after 39-40 months ownership there are some (inevitsble) micro swirls on my car, but they can’t really be seen so I’m happy to leave them. I also don’t have to worry so much about washing my white car when the sun is shining as the paintwork doesn’t heat up as quickly as it does on a black car, so unsightly dried on water spots aren’t such an issue.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 30 December 2023, 17:17 »
Congratulations @Exonian on the new R.  She looks great in white, and I'm sure Daisy will provide you with many dairy enhanced motoring miles.  :grin:

For me too it was only the athestics of the addition of a rear wing for the R, that meant that performance pack had any draw to specifying it.  The drift mode would get absolutely no real world use in my usage of the vehicle, more a marketing point/check box against other brands' hot hatches I thought.

Though like @SRGTD (and sharing similar views on diamond-cut wheels) I think Daisy would look better in like some painted hooves!  :wink: But your car, so absolutely your choice.  19" wheels look good on the Mk8 and the design of the Estorils mean they're not too fiddly and should be easy to clean.

Get enough tar spots and you've a Friesian in the making.  :smiley: 
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 30 December 2023, 17:57 »
Lovely car, congratulations. Seems to be hit and miss which of the last builds came with an engine cover from the factory

Thanks Clarky  :smiley:  I’m wondering if maybe there’s a factory cut off where the VIN’s of vehicles built before a certain date automatically go into the recall and the engine covers get sent to dealers to sort out, and after that date they’re factory fitted.
I’ll ask the supplying dealer when they do their courtesy call to see if their workshop has any idea.

@ Davey-c  there was a lovely Lapiz R20Y sat in the showroom when I collected my car and I’d previously been offered a cracking deal on one recently via Inchcape but I deemed it not ideal for early morning country road commutes with scratchy prickle bushes and jutting sticks to contend with. As the R’s signature colour it’s the “right” colour but not necessarily the most practical for everyone. If I’d still lived on the edge of the city and therefore used different roads I think I’d have plumped for it.

What’s the HK system like on your R? That was the one option I was mulling over repeatedly but elected not to as I didn’t rate the HK system in my BMW. However the Dynaudio in my TCR was superb. Having found the standard mk8 system ok-ish I eventually decided to stick with it but nagging doubts remain.

@Brenbo  having had three black cars and a further three with black (factory option) roofs I generally avoid the colour like the plague!! It definitely needs a day’s dust on it after a wash to hide its sins 😁

I’m not so keen to hear the satin silver mirror caps show the marks as my 7R metal type mirror caps seemed tough as nails and didn’t have a single blemish on them.

@SRGTD white or silver would always be my first choices of colour purely from an ease of looking after standpoint. Closely followed by light grey. My worst colours I’ve owned have been black and dark blue to hide sins without regular polishing.
Tornado Red seemed pretty good as did SEAT’s Lazuli Blue which I had and it hid everything from dirt to swirls. Almost maintenance free!! 😁

Congratulations @Exonian on the new R.  She looks great in white, and I'm sure Daisy will provide you with many dairy enhanced motoring miles.  :grin:

For me too it was only the athestics of the addition of a rear wing for the R, that meant that performance pack had any draw to specifying it.  The drift mode would get absolutely no real world use in my usage of the vehicle, more a marketing point/check box against other brands' hot hatches I thought.

Though like @SRGTD (and sharing similar views on diamond-cut wheels) I think Daisy would look better in like some painted hooves!  :wink: But your car, so absolutely your choice.  19" wheels look good on the Mk8 and the design of the Estorils mean they're not too fiddly and should be easy to clean.

Daisy’s under bumper udders are more in focus with her bobtail spoiler, but the longer tailed Performance Pack breed are more distinctive and easier to spot amongst the herds of SUV’s in car parks.

Great point about the tar blobbing - I’m off to find a newly tarmacced road now to enhance her flanks… :afro:  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 30 December 2023, 21:57 »
Lovely car, congratulations. Seems to be hit and miss which of the last builds came with an engine cover from the factory

Thanks Clarky  :smiley:  I’m wondering if maybe there’s a factory cut off where the VIN’s of vehicles built before a certain date automatically go into the recall and the engine covers get sent to dealers to sort out, and after that date they’re factory fitted.
I’ll ask the supplying dealer when they do their courtesy call to see if their workshop has any idea.

@ Davey-c  there was a lovely Lapiz R20Y sat in the showroom when I collected my car and I’d previously been offered a cracking deal on one recently via Inchcape but I deemed it not ideal for early morning country road commutes with scratchy prickle bushes and jutting sticks to contend with. As the R’s signature colour it’s the “right” colour but not necessarily the most practical for everyone. If I’d still lived on the edge of the city and therefore used different roads I think I’d have plumped for it.

What’s the HK system like on your R? That was the one option I was mulling over repeatedly but elected not to as I didn’t rate the HK system in my BMW. However the Dynaudio in my TCR was superb. Having found the standard mk8 system ok-ish I eventually decided to stick with it but nagging doubts remain.

@Brenbo  having had three black cars and a further three with black (factory option) roofs I generally avoid the colour like the plague!! It definitely needs a day’s dust on it after a wash to hide its sins 😁

I’m not so keen to hear the satin silver mirror caps show the marks as my 7R metal type mirror caps seemed tough as nails and didn’t have a single blemish on them.

@SRGTD white or silver would always be my first choices of colour purely from an ease of looking after standpoint. Closely followed by light grey. My worst colours I’ve owned have been black and dark blue to hide sins without regular polishing.
Tornado Red seemed pretty good as did SEAT’s Lazuli Blue which I had and it hid everything from dirt to swirls. Almost maintenance free!! 😁

Daisy’s under bumper udders are more in focus with her bobtail spoiler, but the longer tailed Performance Pack breed are more distinctive and easier to spot amongst the herds of SUV’s in car parks.

Great point about the tar blobbing - I’m off to find a newly tarmacced road now to enhance her flanks… :afro:  :grin:

@exonian yea lapiz blue looks well on the R but I think white is still my favourite, I’ve the R 20 Years so think that’s the best colour due to being the anniversary model. As for the HK, it’s ok, but not out of this world IMHO. It is definitely worth the money as it wasn’t an expensive option and if you like listening to music at a decent volume level then it’s worth it. I have only had the car since mid Nov so still getting used to it. I have been playing with the audio settings and also the stereo/surround settings. I mostly just use dance music downloaded via podcasts. I had Dynaudio in my previous 7.5 R which I think had a more punchy base but I always found it hard to find a decent setting, especially with different sources and sometimes the base sounded a bit boomy. I think sound quality was better using CD’s on the Dynaudio system which isn’t an option on the Mk8. I also think steaming music via Bluetooth in the 20 Years on the HK may cause a loss in quality and I haven’t tried to steam using a cable as the car never came with one so can’t comment. I am also guessing that depending on what streaming service is used will also have an impact on the sound quality.
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2023, 22:18 »
Thanks Davey, my loss then!  :grin:
To be honest I generally only have the volume pretty low listening to the radio much of the time. I go through stages of listening to streamed music and made more of an effort when I had Dynaudio.
It was one of those options they pulled briefly and then seemed to reinstate again.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 30 December 2023, 22:49 »
Thanks Davey, my loss then!  :grin:
To be honest I generally only have the volume pretty low listening to the radio much of the time. I go through stages of listening to streamed music and made more of an effort when I had Dynaudio.
It was one of those options they pulled briefly and then seemed to reinstate again.
No problem at all. I originally had an order in for an R at a time when HK couldn’t be ordered. I had no info or updates at all from the supplying dealer I order the car through so changed to the 20 Years through someone else and found out the HK could then be ordered again. The VW car ordering/build process has been crazy over the last couple of years. From reading some of the stories other forum members have had on this forum as well as the R forum, it makes no sense sometimes the way cars are built and delivered. Not sure if there are any plug and play options for sound system upgrades like there was for the 7/7.5 if yiu ever fancied an upgrade? I know helix and audison were a previous ootion.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 31 December 2023, 00:06 »
Hi Exonian and congratulations on your new toy  :smiley:

I'm with you on Pure White being the best colour for a Mk8 (in the absence of White Silver which I loved on my Mk7.5) but with a few others on having a hatred of diamond polished alloys solely because of deterioration issues.

Like you've said though you can always get them painted if that happens.

You said the end of your 3 year warranty was a factor in the change, but couldn't you have just bought a new 1 year “All Component Cover“ warranty from VW to put your mind at rest?  I'm guessing £400-£500 could be the going rate for a 3 year old Clubby and it would have given you more time to see what the Mk8.5 might offer.

My Clubby lease is up in 6 months and I'm thinking of extending the lease and buying the comprehensive warranty to keep my options open for another year and to see how car prices change in that period.

Anyway Daisy looks ace and I may still get an R some day if my luck is in.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 31 December 2023, 10:22 »

I'm with you on Pure White being the best colour for a Mk8 (in the absence of White Silver which I loved on my Mk7.5) but with a few others on having a hatred of diamond polished alloys solely because of deterioration issues.

You said the end of your 3 year warranty was a factor in the change, but couldn't you have just bought a new 1 year “All Component Cover“ warranty from VW to put your mind at rest?  I'm guessing £400-£500 could be the going rate for a 3 year old Clubby and it would have given you more time to see what the Mk8.5 might offer.

My Clubby lease is up in 6 months and I'm thinking of extending the lease and buying the comprehensive warranty to keep my options open for another year and to see how car prices change in that period.

Can you buy an all component warranty from VW these days? You used to be able to buy an extension to the factory warranty prior to registration of the car for either 4 years or 5 years, but VW stopped doing these around 2019 if I remember rightly.

Oddly though, you can still get these for Seat and Audi - bought a 5 year extension for my S3, it cost £530. The hope is that if I don't keep it 5 years, having that factory warranty extension will be a good selling point privately or to a non-Audi dealership.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 31 December 2023, 11:00 »

Can you buy an all component warranty from VW these days? You used to be able to buy an extension to the factory warranty prior to registration of the car for either 4 years or 5 years, but VW stopped doing these around 2019 if I remember rightly.

Yes, the All Component warranty is still available.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-services/my-car/important-information/warranties-and-insurance/warranties.html

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl