Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 11445 times)

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2023, 06:49 »
Congratulations @Exonian

Wow, that is quite a back story. I’d expected a late month deal when someone had made you an offer you couldn’t refuse.

I think reluctant changes are sometimes better than those that are fully planned, although ordering in May might seem fully planned out. I can see how you would have been used to the Clubsport and then you wonder if you are “doing the right thing” with a change.

I understand the thinking (and worry) about keeping the Clubsport beyond the end of the 3yr warranty and that it could have ended up as an expensive post warranty car. Good to hear you mini review about the Clubsport as I’ve been thinking it might be an option for me.

Sorry that the changeover cost was more than it might have been with used prices softening. I’ve always loved the R and I think VW got the package so right. Enjoy your new toy.

I look forward to your thoughts during the year with your experiences of living with a late model 2023 mk8. I wish you a peaceful and silent New Year (unless it’s exhaust noise as you race up the gears)
« Last Edit: 29 December 2023, 07:03 by AndyGTI »
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 29 December 2023, 09:44 »
Nice one, got to love a white Golf

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2023, 11:15 »
Congratulations on the new arrival.  I am also a sucker for a white golf or in my case it will most likely be a white golf XL (Tiguan R MK3) when VW release it.  Enjoy your new set of wheels.  I see you don't have the performance pack, to be honest i wouldn't order it myself if i were to order another new golf R, as it was fairly harsh/hardcore for day to day driving on my last golf R Mk8.  I never got any real benefit from it apart from waking up the neighbours early morning.  :whistle:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2023, 12:31 »
Looks good Mr Ex, and in the best colour IMHO - not that I’m biased :whistle:.

Because of my aversion to diamond cut alloys, I’d swap the wheels though. A nice set of anthracite alloys would look good (IMHO of course).

Enjoy! :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2023, 22:46 »
Let me introduce Daisy.
She’s a little white and black moo-cow with a fine set of udders dangling below her nether region

You will love the white car, isn’t too bad for keeping clean. I have had 4 previous white cars. 7.5 Golf R, Edition 40 GTI Clubsport, Audi S3 and Edition 35 GTI.

2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2023, 22:53 »
I had a feeling you would do something like this.  :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2023, 23:14 »
Congratulations @Exonian

Thanks Andy  :smiley:

I’d heartily recommend a Clubsport, it’s the pick of the range in my eyes. I almost cancelled my order and nabbed another Clubby which was a cancelled order from the same dealership but alas that wasn’t to be.
Personal opinion is a white or Moonstone Clubsport on Adelaides is the best looking mk8, the graphic designers running the launch promo seemed to agree!
It looks purposeful with a nod to the Ed40 in the styling, shares the relatively light-footed handling and superb cornering grip of that car too albeit slightly less light maybe but better cornering dynamics and no overboost nonsense.

At the risk of boring everyone I’ll do a few updates on the R as time goes on. Discovery today being it has an engine cover fitted 😁
I’ve not driven it at all on day 2 but went outside to do the We Connect set up shenanigans which admittedly wasn’t the faff it was in the last car so I’ll assume updates have gotten that to work better over the last three years. Thought I’d pop the bonnet to have a look under there and check if there was an engine cover.

A very Happy New Year to you too Andy

Nice one, got to love a white Golf

Thank you  :smiley: and I can’t disagree with the “colour” after a string of Pure White examples!

Congratulations on the new arrival.  I am also a sucker for a white golf or in my case it will most likely be a white golf XL (Tiguan R MK3) when VW release it.  Enjoy your new set of wheels.  I see you don't have the performance pack, to be honest i wouldn't order it myself if i were to order another new golf R, as it was fairly harsh/hardcore for day to day driving on my last golf R Mk8.  I never got any real benefit from it apart from waking up the neighbours early morning.  :whistle:

Thanks Brendan and it’s good to see you’re enjoying the Tig-R so much you’re thinking about another. That says a lot.  :smiley:

No Performance Pack on mine, however it wasn’t even available at time of order; to have that option it meant an R20Y which I didn’t really want because of the (admittedly lovely) leather seats. I had indeed pondered whether I’d have specced the PP and I don’t think I would have even if I could. The spoiler was the only real draw as it does give the rear a bit of a visual lift. The 19’s I’d have specced annyway and the drift mode was of zero interest or use to me.
I’ve yet to treat the neighbours to a 5am start-up but the Clubsport wasn’t the quietest, not a patch on the guy across the road’s M2 Comp which is very vocal (and not actually in a nice way if I’m honest unlike the M3 his mate owns which sounds glorious)

Looks good Mr Ex, and in the best colour IMHO - not that I’m biased :whistle:.

Because of my aversion to diamond cut alloys, I’d swap the wheels though. A nice set of anthracite alloys would look good (IMHO of course).

Enjoy! :smiley:

Thanks SR  :smiley:

Obviously you’re not paint colour biased at all!  :grin:

Believe it or not I actually specced the polished Estorils deliberately as I like the look of them.
Maybe once they get discoloured, if VW refuse to warranty rectify the finish, I’ll get them repainted in grey or even something different.
They’re shod in delightful Bridgestones too…  :rolleyes:

I had a feeling you would do something like this.  :grin:

I’d hate to disappoint!  :laugh:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2023, 23:24 »

You will love the white car, isn’t too bad for keeping clean. I have had 4 previous white cars. 7.5 Golf R, Edition 40 GTI Clubsport, Audi S3 and Edition 35 GTI.

Lovely photos Davey, a great selection of whiteness!

Ok, Top Trumps time - I’ve had in white a mk1 GTI back in the day, followed by a white 205 1.9, then a white mk2 GTI (a whole spectrum of other colours in the middle) then a white mk7 PP, a white 7R, white mk7 GTD, white Ed40, white TCR, white mk8 Clubby and now Daisy.
I’m oblivious to micro swirls but tar spots are my nemesis! 😁
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2023, 00:08 »
Lovely car, congratulations. Seems to be hit and miss which of the last builds came with an engine cover from the factory
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 30 December 2023, 06:39 »
I know what you mean about the tar spots on a white car.  I currently have a pearl black Tiguan R, (although looks good, its not my first choice in colour as it was the colour they had on stock car and orders were being delayed for the obvious reasons at the same time last year).  From experience i can confirm Black is notorious for showing dirt, and all imperfections in the paintwork such as every scuff, hairline scratch etc  which would not be as obvious on a white car.  I think i would rather take my chances next time with tar spots on a white car again than have all scratches and scuffs being made blatantly obvious for everyone to see.  Oh and the matt/satin finish on golf/tiguan R mirror caps is even worse for showing scuffs and scratches...  i personally miss having the option for decent carbon mirror caps which support side assist and actually fit properly. As i would swap them instantly.  My last carbon mirror caps hid a lot more scratches etc than the satin silver caps do.