Author Topic: Mk8 order?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline The Cardinal

• Just got here
Mk8 order?
« on: 20 December 2023, 14:57 »
Hi,

I'm new around here - but I've got plenty of VAG blood in me: past cars include RS3, S3s, supercharged R32, GTI and many more. 

I bought my current GTD as a bit of stop-gap earlier this year, when I went down from two cars to one.  It's doing a great job and has some personal touches, but it's coming up for 8 years age and I'm now looking at a new or near-new car.  I'm undecided on which model: mostly like a Clubsport, R or GTD in that order.  Or possibly an S3.  I'm not in a hurry. 

The car has to cover a lot of needs, living in a city centre and doing local runs (subtle cars work well) but with plenty of long trips. 

Just a couple of questions:

- I've only looked online, but it seems new orders for hot Golfs are suspended / stock cars only? 
- Anyone regretted going to a Mk8 from a Mk7?  One other option is a Mk7.5... ;)
- Views on whether to wait for a Mk8.5 (presumably another 18 months until a factory order would arrive)?

Current: 2016 GTD - DSG, VW Rotary wheels, Stage 1 map, GTI-style rear valance

Past: RS3, S3s, supercharged R32, GTI and many more

Offline Dogman12

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk8 order?
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2023, 15:38 »
I bet you should wait for the 8.5 and see what they show. After that making some decision. They should definitely start teasing it in early new year.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2023, 18:23 »
Welcome your Eminence  :smiley:

It must be hard to step back after some of those cars you’ve had in the past.
Mk8 Golf R/Clubsport orders were halted in mid May 2023 to catch up with a huge backlog of orders and these have been dripping through ever since and that’s now turned into a full flow with around 100 available cars listed on VW’s website having gone from one extreme to another.

My recommendation to you would be to nab a Golf R 20 Years from dealer stock if going PCP or a 12 month old R or Clubby if buying cash as there are some deals to be had.

I’m a serial Golf owner of over 30 years more on than off. I had 5 mk7’s and have now had a mk8 Clubsport for exactly 3 years - absolutely no regrets here and the longest I’ve owned a car. I really rate it. Fast as hell on flowing roads when you’re in the mood, does an easy 40mpg in light traffic if you’re in a more relaxed mood. Subtle but still distinctive in looks.

The 8.5 will be revealed early next year. Will it be worth waiting for? Who knows.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The Cardinal

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2023, 21:31 »
Thank you, your Exeter-iness.  :smiley:

Yes, the GTD was a bit of an adjustment after the one-off spec RS3 I had last... (and I've always thought its number plate would be good for an R).

...but in truth I was most often driving around in its running mate, a Skoda Fabia. So, the Golf has actually been an upgrade most of the time.  It's only when you hold your foot down for longer periods that its limits are more obvious.  Plus the wife's happy with it. :grin:

Ideally I'd go back to two cars, but really there's only a need for the one plus this heirloom of a van that can never be sold for sentimental reasons:

As you can see from my list, I've had nice cars in family use in the past and it's been a bit upsetting to see them subjected to my wife and kids!  But on the other hand I do think we need a newer car if it's just the one...  I'll report back with how I get on.
Current: 2016 GTD - DSG, VW Rotary wheels, Stage 1 map, GTI-style rear valance

Past: RS3, S3s, supercharged R32, GTI and many more

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2023, 22:08 »
Just my 2 cents

I recently grabbed an in stock new mk8 Clubsport with a nice chunk taken off list price. But it’s still over 40k on the road with a few options

The 8.5 will be even more expensive and I’d bet it’s over that 40k tax band without any options
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2023, 19:40 »
A mapped GTD will hold its own against almost anything point to point but maybe not quite the engine character of the RS3 or VR6, and I bet the charged R32 wasn’t quite as fuel efficient 😁

The camper looks mint too  :cool:

Looking forward to seeing where your search takes you.

Just my 2 cents

I recently grabbed an in stock new mk8 Clubsport with a nice chunk taken off list price. But it’s still over 40k on the road with a few options

The 8.5 will be even more expensive and I’d bet it’s over that 40k tax band without any options
Indeed Clarky.
With the Clubby and R well into “luxury tax” even before paint and options added now it’s quite possible even the regular GTI will be over £40k when the facelift arrives.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2023, 17:47 »
Exonian, I went away after reading this look at r20y's stock.... Jeez!

Too rich for me!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2023, 22:14 »
@fredgroves check out Tractor Dave’s post. Apparently he knows someone with stock to shift so you might get a good deal that way. Worth a punt at least if you fancy an R.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2023, 22:43 »
Think the cheapest I've seen is 47k...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2023, 10:05 »
I think there is no chance of a Golf Gti under £40k when the facelift is unveiled.

I think the “story” about possible manual returning is magazines clutching at straws and putting 2 + 2 = 5.
the strong rumour which I think was pretty much official was “no more manual GTIs to help with CO2 emissions and upcoming Euro 7 regs.”

Now that Euro 7 is not going to be as bad as first thought the magazines are going, “Ah manual GTI to survive” but all makers are trying to cut costs with development etc and emissions still needs to be lower each year for the annual targets. Therefore I think other than perhaps a special edition I think that’s it for manual.

Also the only hope I see for a car under “VED supplemental charge” is if the Govt decides at the Budget in March, that the £40k limit should be “adjusted”…….nothing to do with an election of course.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black