Author Topic: The end of MK8 is near….  (Read 2617 times)

Online Adam T7

• I live here
Re: The end of MK8 is near….
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2023, 05:24 »
Tesla owners complaining? Go Google that...

The bloody things make a mk8 look well done...

You are always a beta tester with a tesla

A week ago we were felling a large tree in our front garden so I warned neighbours of access and safety. Next door asked if he could park his Tesla right underneath where the Tree Surgeons were working😄
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2023, 13:12 »
 :grin:  :grin:
Are Teslas really that bad?!

Changing the subject slightly but still relevant as it’s a Golf chassis and running gear, a colleague of mine has just taken delivery of a Cupra Leon 245PS on a 0% finance deal and it’s a very very nice bit of kit.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2023, 14:04 »
:grin:  :grin:
Are Teslas really that bad?!

Changing the subject slightly but still relevant as it’s a Golf chassis and running gear, a colleague of mine has just taken delivery of a Cupra Leon 245PS on a 0% finance deal and it’s a very very nice bit of kit.

How does the build quality look compared with the Golf? Have to say, Cupra go out of their way to make the model line up confusing with V123Z etc....

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2023, 14:21 »
Build quality feels easily on a par, if anything I’d say it’s more solid.
The interior feels nicer than the Golf and A3, the seats actually feel firmer although they look quite similar to the mk8 seats.
This is a VZ2 which is probably the most popular model. The seat cloth reminds me of the standard Cupra Born seats (not the alcantara ones) and there’s no wireless charging or IQ lights, no rear door panel illumination or adjustable boot floor.
That’s it for minor demerits.
The boot seems deeper with a spare wheel underneath in this car (he didn’t pay extra for it so assume standard), the front door interior handles which are the first things you come into contact with and are hard low grade plastic in the mk8 are nicely finished with stitched trim, that alone gives the experience an initial lift. Loads of leg room in the back, more than a Golf.
You sit nice and low, the window line adds to this, the central screen seems fractionally bigger and crisper but that might be my imagination. The dash lighting is good and general fit and finish seem fine, in some areas I thought it even felt up to BMW F40 1 series but that might just be because it was literally brand new.
Outside the car looks squat, nicer than it looks in photos. The standard 19” wheels fill the arches well, no spacers needed!
He said it rides nicely and quiet on the move. I didn’t go out in it, just had a nose around and started it up.
Most models except the fancy special editions fall below the £40k rip off tax too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2023, 14:37 »
Thanks for that. I sat in Formentor not long after they came out and I recall it felt a nice place to be. Spacesaver as standard - who would have thought?! Pretty rare these days.
Interesting that it has 19s as standard.
Looking on their website, they seem to have a few cars available - like Audi, unlike VW......

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 21 November 2023, 15:42 »
Looking at VW’s website quickly, they currently have 63 Clubsports and R’s available around the country plus numerous discounted in-stock ones on Autotrader, plus quite possibly plenty more knocking about not advertised.
43 Cupra Leons in 245 and 300PS flavour currently listed new and available on cupraofficial.

My colleague waited about three or four months for a build slot. He was expecting it around mid December but I guess one benefit of the defined trim levels is manufacture is more simple and a cancelled order or showroom stock allocated car can be diverted straight to a customer.

The Formentor is a nice bit of kit, also on 0% 😁
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2023, 07:55 »
My favourite part of top gear/grand tour was the tribute pieces they did, whether it be a racing legend or or a manufacturer, the Saab one was good. Anyway, I remember the Sierra/Mondeo send off… they blamed the Citroen Picasso and Vauxhall Zafira for starting the “I want to sit higher” trend. Unfortunately, the hatchback has followed suit. I actually blame the Ford Kuga and Nissan Qishcash (was given (not chose) the latter as a company car :sick:, I chose the 7.5 GTD after it’s return)

I get my car review fix from YouTube nowadays. It’s definitely true that the Golf 8 got an absolute bashing for its touch buttons yet it wasn’t the first and it’s definitely not been the last. Now, most presenters just give the cars a passing comment like “I preferred the previous generations buttons”.

I think it was because the Golf was so mainstream that it received such a bashing. I’ll give you another example, a few smart phones had gone completely buttonless front, then Apple announced the iPhone would loose the trusty home button… remember the outrage?

People have now accepted the iPhone and the buttonless front is common place on all new phones, the big difference is…. You’re not allowed to use a phone whilst driving!

I’m sure in time (unfortunately after accidents) the manufacturers will say “with our intelligent voice control… bla bla bla, there’s no need to touch the screen”. But when you have to press a soft key or jab a screen to change the driving mode? Maybe in the Lake District where motorway junctions lead to twisty fun we should turn the slip road’s hard shoulder in to a ‘sport car mode setup lay-by’?
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 22 November 2023, 10:23 »
All Golf's seem to be taken down from drivethedeal. Guessing it may just be temporary, but who knows.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #28 on: 22 November 2023, 10:50 »
Maybe in the Lake District where motorway junctions lead to twisty fun we should turn the slip road’s hard shoulder in to a ‘sport car mode setup lay-by’?

That bit is easy enough to do... one physical button press! Actually its a couple of physical button jabs to cycle it to Sport mode.... same as it was on the Mk7....

Assuming you don't want just a chicken nugget flick if you don't have DCC...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC