Author Topic: The end of MK8 is near….  (Read 2616 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
The end of MK8 is near….
« on: 17 November 2023, 22:06 »
All Golf etsi DSG variants removed from ordering with immediate effect….
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: The end of MK8 is near….
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2023, 10:41 »
I have my black armband ready
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2023, 14:21 »
etsi are all DSG aren't they?

So basically no etsi
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2023, 10:07 »
Unless they are selling lots of new EVs which i dont think they are, new car sales persons salaries are going to be badly affected i would think

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2023, 13:43 »
Unless they are selling lots of new EVs which i dont think they are, new car sales persons salaries are going to be badly affected i would think

It’s only Golf models that are being gradually wound up over the coming months, and haven’t the GTI/R models been off the order books since May? (and there are literally dozens of examples of those currently unsold and advertised).
The Golf isn’t the seller in once was, SUV’s are where it’s at and no doubt the limited supplies of drivetrains are currently being diverted to unfulfilled orders of Golfs and higher selling T- Rocs/Crosses/guans while they get ready to bolt on bigger bumpers and central media screens to the “all new” (not new at all) Golf next year.

I don’t think EV’s have particularly huge demand right now (particularly uncompetitive ID’s)  but my two nearest dealers seem to be turning over plenty of stock so the sales people don’t seem to be starving just yet.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2023, 18:34 »
The Golf isn’t the seller in once was, SUV’s are where it’s at and no doubt the limited supplies of drivetrains are currently being diverted to unfulfilled orders of Golfs and higher selling T- Rocs/Crosses/guans while they get ready to bolt on bigger bumpers and central media screens to the “all new” (not new at all) Golf next year.

If there's anything to be said about the mk8 golf in general, dropping from 2nd best selling car in the UK in the late mk7 (2019) to 8th in 2022 and so far not in the top 10 at all for 2023.

A polarising exterior aesthetic and hostile interior from its traditionally ergonomic and simple interiors are to blame.

I still maintain if VW re-released the mk5 with a few updates to the interior and standard specification it would sell like mad.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2023, 19:55 »

They don’t sell a great deal of Golf’s through the retail channel. Most of there sales are made up of Polo, SUV’s and EV’s.

Absolutely not what it once was and the small SUV’s like T-cross, T-roc and Tiguan take the Lions share of the proper retail punters.
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2023, 21:21 »
VAG are pretty much the only ones pushing a medium sized ICE hatchback and expecting it to sell loads.

I personally think their go forward Golf badge on an EV idea is also a bad commercial one.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2023, 22:02 »

If there's anything to be said about the mk8 golf in general, dropping from 2nd best selling car in the UK in the late mk7 (2019) to 8th in 2022 and so far not in the top 10 at all for 2023.

A polarising exterior aesthetic and hostile interior from its traditionally ergonomic and simple interiors are to blame.

I still maintain if VW re-released the mk5 with a few updates to the interior and standard specification it would sell like mad.

Nah, hatches have just gone out of fashion.

The mk8’s looks are a bit… err, acquired but the mk8 interiors are most definitely given a bad press. They’re absolutely nowhere near as bad as people make out and in fact are in no way worse than a mk5.
The mk5 had as a whole car an air of solidity about it but no current car is made like that nowadays as it would weigh far too much with all the necessary tech and emissions gear. The mk5 interior was far from plush, shove your elbow into the middle of a mk5 door trim and it bends as much as a mk7/8 or whichever, many of the mk5 plastics are quite hard and the dash was a massive step down from the mk4.
The mk7 interior is overrated and the mk8 interior underrated (which isn’t saying much in the latter’s case!).

The Focus used to top the sales charts for years long before the Golf scraped much more than a bare top 10 spot, closely followed by the Fiesta. Where are any of these cars now? Out of fashion. On their way out or gone. None of them turned into bad cars, it’s just that people got brainwashed into something else.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2023, 22:43 »
People seem to want to sit higher, go slower and pay more for the priviledge in something that has a boot more or less the same size as the equivalent hatch. :rolleyes: