Author Topic: Advice needed - mk7.5 or 8.5?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
Advice needed - mk7.5 or 8.5?
« on: 17 October 2023, 17:17 »
Hi all,

Would really appreciate some advice on this. I've booked myself for a test drive for this 7.5 which I am seriously considering: https://www.parkwayvolkswagen.co.uk/used-vehicle/134968/volkswagen-golf-hatchback-5-doors-dsg-petrol-deep-black

I wasn't keen on the mk8, and have been waiting for the 8.5 so I can place my order. However, now I am stuck between that and the 7.5. I originally had a mk7 which I loved and regretted selling.

DTD would offer a sizeable discount on the 8.5 but this 7.5 would still work out over £10k cheaper I suppose. I've always owned cars from new though, but what would you do? Is this 7.5 good value?

Thanks in advance!

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
Re: Advice needed - mk7.5 or 8.5?
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2023, 17:19 »
Also, are those alloys genuine VW?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2023, 17:31 »
New car or used car...

Thats what it boils down to. The Mk7.5 is all 3+ years old now.

No idea when the order books will open on the 8.5 yet, but based on the mk8 debacle, if you don't take one from dealer stock when they are released then you won't see one for 1+ years. My guess would be dealers will have their stock in January 2024... but because presumably you want a GTI.... it could be much later. They don't tend to prioritise the performance golfs...

What didn't you like about the Mk8? You know the 8.5 won't be radically different right?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2023, 19:19 »
I think the price difference on a MK8.5 GTI in metallic paint with upgraded alloys etx is going to be a lot more than £10k more than the used car….

Plus when the hell are you going to get one given this issue with the factory in Slovenia and the fact the 8.5 isn’t even available to order yet and probably won’t be till next summer at least I don’t suppose you will actually get one till the end of next year…
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2023, 19:44 »
Hi @jon87

Good topic as that is how I’m thinking in terms of my next car and I’ll be looking next year (2024)

Fred has hit the nail on the head in terms of 7.5 …now or 8.5 …sometime in 2024 or later.

Over on the 8.5 thread someone has mentioned November 2023 for an unveil of facelift. My past record isn’t great on guessing VW but I can’t help thinking that 50th Anniversary date in 2024 will be marked by something from VW (I thought I’d seem a date of first debut of Mk1 in Feb 1974 , but can’t find it now and only see that production started in March 1974.  Geneva motor Show anybody….yes it is happening in 2024.
But Autumn unveil of facelift and then cars in Jan or April next year is in line with previous models.

VW have been stung by the (rightful) criticism over infotainment performance. Choosing my words carefully as a lot of touchscreen may appeal. I believe from new release of Passat and Tiguan we have a pretty good idea of what infotainment on facelift will look like and it’s also pretty much confirmed that buttons are back on the steering wheel.

Interior trim wise, the car magazines talk about VW wanting to up quality in the cabin and I think they will use a “fake” alcantara (from recycled something or other) which the ID3 has received in its facelift. I think it looks ok (and with some nice red stitching will be perfect😂😂)

Price wise, I think that gap could be a little bigger than you estimate. I’d say with GTI (base) facelift will be over £40k before options). You mention DTD and that’s where my car came from but there is something on the horizon which may throw a spanner in the works.

Been meaning to start a topic to see what people think about “Agency Model” which Manufacturers all seem to be heading towards. The info across several publications is that VAG are changing by end of 2023.
What I don’t know is how this affects people like DTD which are using Fleet side of the business, if I am correct.

Agency model is where manufacturers set a price for everyone and pay dealers a single handling fee for any sale/delivery. So there isn’t any haggling with Dealer (Merc introduced it in UK at start if this year). The OEMs say well it’s a single transparent price across all dealers, but it Looks to me as a crafty way to maintain high prices. So hopefully DTD etc can continue as before, but perhaps discounts will reduce… but I saw Whatcar had said discounts last month had increased as supply came back. So we’ll have to see.

So your car price comparison might actually be a gap of £15-20k for the 7.5 to 8.5

The wheels… I think they are genuine GTI option wheels but they have been sprayed all black. I’m just trying to locate a match via autotrader.

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2023, 19:46 »
Evo1986 and Fred make good point on waiting times but there is always the old adage….Good things come to those who wait😂😂
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2023, 20:25 »
That 7.5 looks a good spec, Dynaudio, art velours and Seville wheels, all options. Low mileage and what appears to be a set of recent Michelins, PS4 or PS5 so someone has cared for it. No idea if the price is good or not but the car definitely looks worthy of viewing.

As for 7.5 or 8.5. Why not buy a 7.5, great car and you could have had a couple of years out of it before your 8.5 turns up. If you still wanted one. :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2023, 21:43 »
Evo1986 and Fred make good point on waiting times but there is always the old adage….Good things come to those who wait😂😂

Not always... Read the rest of this board!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2023, 22:34 »

Good point, but surely they can’t screw up the 8.5 too
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2023, 08:09 »

Good point, but surely they can’t screw up the 8.5 too

All brand new models have issues.... all of them.... even facelifts. Remember foglight gate?