Author Topic: ACC - mind of its own ?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
ACC - mind of its own ?
« on: 25 August 2023, 19:09 »
Hi all,
Anyone experienced this ... and is it normal ?

Travelling on a dual carriageway, I entered at 50mph restricted zone due to roadwords. With average speed cameras, I set the ACC to run at 52mph.  To be honest, this is the only time I use ACC.

The roadworks ran for 5 miles, and the ACC managed by speed perfectly among traffic.

Then, at the end of the roadworks, we passed the national speed limit sign, and the ACC flashed up "70mph speed limit detected" and the ACC set point immediately increased to 70mph. The car then shifted down and accelerated hard, with absolutely no input from myself. Although it was safe, it was quite unnerving.

Surely, the ACC set point should not change by itself .... or should it ?

Any thoughts ?
Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: ACC - mind of its own ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2023, 23:19 »
Yup, adaptive cruise with traffic sign recognition... Or if you hit travel assist and not just cruise then it's doing Lane assist as well.

The only thing to watch out for is on motorways with variable speed limits it will adjust the speed down...but only after you've passed the gantry... Which if equipped with speed cameras you'll get zapped.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2023, 22:31 »
I noticed it also does things like roundabout ahead and starts slowing down.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2023, 22:02 »
Yup it's using map data.

Also uses it for the dynamic headlights
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2023, 10:06 »
You need to go in to the Assist menu and then click on the 'Car in front' icon to access the ACC menu and then turn off 'road layout preview' and 'speed limit preview'. These two (badly worded settings) cause ACC to follow speed limits and slow down for roundabouts etc. Switch them off and everything is back to normal!