Author Topic: Tyre pollution tax?  (Read 857 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Tyre pollution tax?
« on: 27 February 2023, 13:57 »
Just read that the government is researching tyre pollution particles (pm 2.5), as more are created from tyres than from diesel exhausts, with the intention of introducing a pollution tax. The easiest way to implement this IMO is by using car weight but lots of caveats to this solution. Might reduce the number of SUVs and make EVs less attractive and replace some of the monies lost from EVs not paying fuel tax?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Tyre pollution tax?
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2023, 15:16 »
BEV's will pay road tax from 2025...

BEV tyre tax will be bad news.... when combined with the proposed MOT every 2 years not 1... you'll get people not buying new tyres even if they are worn out - because the likely tax point is just to stuff the tax on tyre sales. Road deaths will increase - you won't have to worry about micron sized particles if you are hit by a three tonne milkfloat.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
Re: Tyre pollution tax?
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2023, 18:12 »
I may be being naive but the quote I read specifically stated the research was not being performed to inform taxation policy. The inference was (possibly correctly) made by the newspapers to embellish the headline  a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised though. It's the logical next step after attacking diesel cars and then ICEs in general.

I agree, the state of the general population's tyres is atrocious, let alone if you start putting additional taxes on the replacements.

mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+