Author Topic: A heavy heart  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
A heavy heart
« on: 09 October 2022, 15:51 »
So, I came to a decision this week after many weeks of pondering and tooing and froing. The CS has been put up for sale through Motorway.

I had a heated exchange with VW recently about the sensor issues (pointing towards a new steering wheel) which they were flat out denying was the issue. Only after I sent them a video (whilst I was driving).of the problems did they finally acknowledge there was an issue and book it in for two days next week to have a look at it (this will be the 6th warranty/ software related visit in 16 months)

So after test driving a 330i BMW last weekend I made the decision to go down the route of a company car instead and cash in on the equity of selling a 16 month old GTI CS.

Economically it makes sense I’ll be able to put a few grand in the bank and will be better off each month.

I know there are other cars out there with faults but the software niggles I believe will continue to plague the Golf for a while yet and I’m not prepared to have to keep going back and listening to the service desk tell me “there’s no fix for that yet VW are working on it”

Sadly otherwise its a brilliant car but the issues are spoiling an otherwise exciting and enjoyable ownership experience. I know I will miss it as I will remember the B-Road blasts I’ve enjoyed in the car but being better off and having some cash in the bank will hopefully sweeten the deal!!!

More importantly I will miss this forum, everyone has been so friendly and helpful  :cry:
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: A heavy heart
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2022, 17:32 »
Just wondering... when VW put your car into their Approved network won't they will have had to fix the issues your car has otherwise any new owner will just be back at the dealership or rejecting the car?
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2022, 17:35 »
Probably just valet it and stick it in a forecourt.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2022, 17:40 »
It’s always sad when someone decides to sell a car that has many positives, but because of software faults and niggles that VW either can’t fix or don’t yet have fixes for, the time comes when enough is enough. 

Your post sounds very similar to a recent one over on seatcupra.net forum where a forum member has just got rid of a current model (mk4) Seat Leon they’d owned for nearly two years because of ongoing unresolvable software issues that have plagued the car since day one. They’ve actually replaced it with one of the last of previous generation (mk3) Leon’s and have said it’s good to be back in a previous generation car, which is what they had before getting the mk4. 

As you’ve said, there will be other cars out there with faults. As far as software issues are concerned VW or the wider VAG do seem to have more than their fair share since moving software development in-house.

Good luck with the BMW - I quite like the idea of owning a BMW; maybe one to add to the list of possibles when the time comes to change. I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it and what you think of it once you’ve had a chance to clock up a few miles.

As for missing the forum; you don’t have to as there’s no need to be a stranger. Although I own a VW, I’ve not owned a Golf for six and a half years and I still visit the forum regularly!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 09 October 2022, 17:57 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2022, 18:49 »
Just wondering... when VW put your car into their Approved network won't they will have had to fix the issues your car has otherwise any new owner will just be back at the dealership or rejecting the car?

Nope, it will be up for sale just as it is... some people moan about the problems, some people chuck the car back at VW for a refund over problems, most do neither believe it or not...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2022, 20:08 »
It’s always sad when someone decides to sell a car that has many positives, but because of software faults and niggles that VW either can’t fix or don’t yet have fixes for, the time comes when enough is enough. 

Your post sounds very similar to a recent one over on seatcupra.net forum where a forum member has just got rid of a current model (mk4) Seat Leon they’d owned for nearly two years because of ongoing unresolvable software issues that have plagued the car since day one. They’ve actually replaced it with one of the last of previous generation (mk3) Leon’s and have said it’s good to be back in a previous generation car, which is what they had before getting the mk4. 

As you’ve said, there will be other cars out there with faults. As far as software issues are concerned VW or the wider VAG do seem to have more than their fair share since moving software development in-house.

Good luck with the BMW - I quite like the idea of owning a BMW; maybe one to add to the list of possibles when the time comes to change. I’d be interested to hear how you get on with it and what you think of it once you’ve had a chance to clock up a few miles.

As for missing the forum; you don’t have to as there’s no need to be a stranger. Although I own a VW, I’ve not owned a Golf for six and a half years and I still visit the forum regularly!  :smiley:

You’re right I was a previous member and didn’t leave I just went away for a bit until I got my 7.5!!!

After the test drive that was the straw that broke the camels back the 330i I test drove was a 2020 car and as nice as it was it was going to cost me more each month for an older car. On the company car list is the 330e but also Polestar and Tesla, I’m taking a 6month old Merc A250e from the fleet for the short term while I decide what I’m going to get it’ll serve a purpose and allow me the time to go and have a proper look and test drive of the various options. Still not fully convinced by electric but I need to do the maths!

Hopefully the visit to VW this week will get the faults fixed (new steering wheel perhaps) and whoever buys it will be getting a car that is working as it should I just don’t have the confidence that the issues won’t return in the future!
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2022, 20:11 »
It's a pity that your Mk8 hasn't worked out for you Foxy.  I imagine I'd be looking elsewhere too if my CS had caused me as much hassle as yours.

I've been relatively lucky so far, but who knows how long it'll last.   I share my car with my wife now as we sold one during lockdown, so I'd be looking at an xDrive BMW rather than RWD as I know it's no fun when we get ice & snow.   An xDrive 3 series touring is top of my 'replacement' list at the moment.   I hope you'll have better luck whatever you choose.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2022, 19:29 »
Don't  blame you.
Sad they think it's OK to release something so untested, don't  think I could own a mk8 sadly the more I read these type of stories.  :sad:
« Last Edit: 11 October 2022, 19:30 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2022, 21:00 »
Don't  blame you.
Sad they think it's OK to release something so untested, don't  think I could own a mk8 sadly the more I read these type of stories.  :sad:

On the flip side, my sept 2021 built GTI (MY22) was on 1804 sw from new and has been on 1896 sw for several months now and I’ve had no issues I can recall, absolutely love the car, I traded in my 2020 M135i xDrive for it as I missed my Mk7 GTI so much! It’s worth remembering that you generally only hear about the problems on these forums, all the normally functioning cars without issues simply go unreported!
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2022, 11:33 »
Same as Carlos here. Have my car a year now and aside from some initial pain getting the "primary user" setup I've had zero issues. In fact I'd go as far as saying its the most reliable VW I've owned yet! I had it back to the dealers for the first time 2 weeks ago just for the routine service.
My previous MK7's (GTI and R) were both back to the dealers for niggly warranty issues in the first months of ownership, likewise a MK6 GTD I had.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.