Author Topic: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....  (Read 13364 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....
« Reply #120 on: 03 February 2023, 17:35 »
So latest data suggests that ev values of 3 year old cars has dropped by nearly 7% in Jan 2023 compared to petrol and diesel drops of about 0.1%. Dealers had typically an 80% turn over of ice cars in Jan compared to 20% of evs. They might be a touch more affordable before long if you want one at the moment! Honda say small evs are not economic to build but bmw seem to manage with the mini although manufacturing is moving to China shortly.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #121 on: 03 February 2023, 20:04 »
Having read various things recently on the state of play for EV sales in the UK there are some changes in the market for sure.
A few things I’ve noticed are some manufacturers dumping their fleet/press/staff cars into dealership forecourts in January likely because they had to pre-register lots of new EV’s in December 2022 to meet zero emissions car sales targets or get fines. This sheer number of cars hitting the market in January has caused a natural dip in prices on its own.
Supply seems to have improved on new cars and I’d hazard a guess that sales have slowed dramatically with huge interest rate hikes and masses of potential customers taking part in strike action therefore seeing big drops in income and a reluctance to take on debt or empty savings pots on luxuries. These type of potential customers would be ones who would have salary sacrifice cars open to them which would probably be more attractive than a personal purchase owing to very high PCP rates.
I’ve read a couple of posts where people attempting to sell EV’s are finding the trade unwilling to bid on their cars right now, but demand and hence prices for petrol powered cars are strong. It’ll no doubt change again soon but an awful lot of this negativity towards EV’s is down to the crap charging infrastructure and an awful lot of bad press surrounding that. Literally this afternoon whilst going to collect an emergency prescription for  someone I passed the only two chargers in the town centre both roped off as out of action.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #122 on: 04 February 2023, 10:35 »
Ive actually been looking at the MINI level 2 again due to my left knee giving me some issues i think its really time for my trusty Leon to go after 18yrs :undecided: .  Its duties is basically grocery getter and local errands so an EV would probably be a good replacement for it but keeps thinking as a car guy would a JCW auto be a saver bet.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #123 on: 04 February 2023, 10:43 »
Ive actually been looking at the MINI level 2 again due to my left knee giving me some issues i think its really time for my trusty Leon to go after 18yrs :undecided: .  Its duties is basically grocery getter and local errands so an EV would probably be a good replacement for it but keeps thinking as a car guy would a JCW auto be a saver bet.

Mate has one, lovely car but winter range is 100 miles. Suits him as he leases it through his company so it’s practically free net of tax and his commute his about 15 miles a day. He’s having to drive to Cheltenham today so taking his wife’s diesel Clio. You pays your money, you takes your choice. I’ll stick with ICE.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #124 on: 04 February 2023, 12:39 »
Snoopy, the new JCW’s look superb with their beefy cartoonish bumpers, and they do actually sound pretty good too, but for pootling around there’s no way they can match the immediacy of power delivery the electric makes. Use it for 90% local driving and it makes huge sense as it just picks up its skirts and goes at sub-motorway speeds. Once you’ve driven a MINI EV you’ll understand.
Tough choice though as the JCW offers a lot too in different ways.
If you’re going to get a MINI EV then there’s a huge choice at the moment as MINI have dumped it’s fleet of 12-18 month old  cars onto forecourts around the country; at around £25-26k for a L2 they make a decent buy as a first foray into EV ownership in something that’s not as big and heavy as a battle tank and still has proper buttons and a decent BMW UI.
While there’s still a good choice of very low mileage year old examples about you could potentially pick through the colour and spec that suits you best rather than wait an age for a non discounted new one. As little as a month ago it would have made better sense to buy new but the prices have finally dropped on main dealer used ones. Used ones as a cash buy look attractive whereas at 13.9%  :shocked: APR on a PCP they definitely don’t!

Adam, your mate has the benefit of the best of both worlds. Small EV for local use and Diesel for longer range. The right horses for the right courses.
Like yourself, petrol still makes best sense for me as although I have a sub 30 mile round trip commute in the week where the MINI EV would be superb in the lanes, my sister lives 160 miles in one direction and my father 130 miles in t’other. It would potentially take two charges just to reach my sis in bad weather. Mind you I only visit her about once a decade… 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 04 February 2023, 13:28 »
Totally agree 👍
The smooth acceleration of his Mini is a real giggle and he doesn’t need the range. Next car I get the missus (whenever that maybe) will be an EV as it will never be more than 15 miles from home and I’ll keep my GTI until it turns into dust.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.