Author Topic: Tyre wear so far - just for information  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Tyre wear so far - just for information
« on: 15 June 2014, 22:11 »
Hi guys. This post is more for information than anything.

Had the GTD just over 9 months now and covered 7,200 very enjoyable miles. Touch wood, the car's been perfect, no squeaks, rattles or warning lights (and I hope it stays that way).

Normally about this time I do a tyre rotation fronts to rear, and that's what i did today. armed with my digital tread depth, when the wheels were off the car i took some readings, this is what I found (don't worry, there's no shock horror surprises)

Both sides of the car are wearing the same as each other to within 0.2mm so thats good

Tyres were measured across all 3 tread bands of each tyre, and whilst the outsides on all are wearing just a little bit more than the insides, they were all within 0.3mm of the inside of the treads.

So fronts were at the minimum part 4.95mm

Rears at the minimum part were 6.8mm

TBH, considering the Bridgestone Potenzas spent a lot of time spinning in the wet cold winter, I don't think they are wearing too bad considering the power and torque available, and the heavy weight of the diesel lump.

I hoping that now swapping fronts to rears I might get 15-18k miles out of a set which I'd be fairly happy with.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Tyre wear so far - just for information
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2014, 22:16 »
On the mk6 I had 27k out of the front on Bridgestone RE50A. 43k on the back but only replaced them as the saw toothing was driving me mad. They did start with 9mm mind to.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2014, 22:34 »
I'm down to 2.5 (outsides) to a bit below 4.0mm (inside) on my front ones after nearly 23k miles. (rears are 5-6mm)
Trying to wear them down to 2.0mm in the next 3 weeks so leaseplan will replace them before my 4k road trip across scandinavia...
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline GiT1984

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2014, 16:28 »
Jeez - I'm halfway through my front Conti's in 3,500 miles ....

M.
2014 Mk7 GTi - CSG, PP, Leather, DSG, ACC, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera, Rear Airbags, Winter pack.

2013 Porsche Boxster S

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2014, 09:58 »
My front Pirelli P Zero's (19" standard tyres) have all but given up the ghost after 16,000 miles.