Author Topic: Low oil warning  (Read 5422 times)

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
Low oil warning
« on: 07 March 2014, 17:13 »
Just done approx 8,000 miles and got a low oil warning come up on the dash.

Checked the dipstick and it was just above the lowest mark.  Added a litre of oil and now seems to be at the top of the mark.

Do new cars usually need an oil top up before the first service interval?
(silly me - I didn't check the oil levels at collection.)
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Low oil warning
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2014, 17:33 »
dippy_x: Only 1 of my 7 TDIs have ever used an appreciable amount of oil between services, and that was a 2005 MK5 GT 140TDI PD. It was run in by driving it down from Lookers in Burnley where I bought it (broker buy), to my dad's house in Southampton, where we went on the Southampton to Le Havre ferry. As soon as we were on French soil, I had the amber warning for low oil. The oil was on the bottom of the dipstick and took a full litre to get to full. A few days later, the car was driven back up to Newcastle. So the car spent its first 700 miles on the motorway, sitting at 75mph in 6th. Not ideal running in conditions.

That car used a litre every 2k miles.

As far as VW are concerned, unless the car is using more than a litre of oil every 1000 miles, they don't see an issue.

How was yours run in?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2014, 18:03 »
From Warrington back to Edin was the first trip - I was careful to vary the journey / speeds / rpm.  Came off motorway every hour and occasional drops downs to 50mph and then back up again.  It showing full on the dipstick now - will be interesting to see what happens in the next 8,000 miles!
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2014, 18:12 »
From Warrington back to Edin was the first trip - I was careful to vary the journey / speeds / rpm.  Came off motorway every hour and occasional drops downs to 50mph and then back up again.  It showing full on the dipstick now - will be interesting to see what happens in the next 8,000 miles!

Hopefully it was a low fill from the factory. I will be checking my oil tomorrow!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2014, 20:37 »
This forum really does make me paranoid. :embarrassed:

Oil OK.
Suspension pucks removed.
No suspension squeaks (been over way too many speed bumps, and again just to check).

It is really good though to know of any common faults/issues.
I'm approaching 10k and faultless so far but it's always good to know what to look out for.
 :smiley:

Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2014, 20:51 »
I've not even checked to see if the GTD had a dipstick... I just assumed it didn't as my A4 didn't have one.
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline GTI-7-Performance

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2014, 06:57 »
Such is the expectation that VW's cars will burn oil that my last two have been supplied by the dealer with a litre of oil in the driver's door - in a plastic can, of course.

Drove 65,000kms in the 1.4 Polo and never put any oil in. Up to 4,500km in the Golf with no top-up - yet...

Offline Ap69

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2014, 07:39 »
I checked mine 1st day was shocked to see the oil at the bottom of the stick (Just above the min mark) VW said  it passed its pdi as its above the min. I didntn expect to have to buy oil on the 1st day. I don't recall a car ever coming back from a service to be at the min mark.
Golf Gti 3dr Night Blue Manual

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2014, 08:26 »
I checked mine 1st day was shocked to see the oil at the bottom of the stick (Just above the min mark) VW said  it passed its pdi as its above the min. I didntn expect to have to buy oil on the 1st day. I don't recall a car ever coming back from a service to be at the min mark.

That's pretty shocking.  What's next?  Cars delivered with tyre tread just above the legal limit?  It's legal right?

Offline Mike S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2014, 13:20 »
8,200 miles now on the clock and my oil inspection light shone bright last night ! I'm not using my Gti today (not for that reason !!) but I will be checking it out tonight......
GTi Mk7 Night Blue 5 Door. Winter Pack. Nav Pro. Keyless. ACC.