Author Topic: Golf GTE  (Read 6344 times)

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf GTE
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2014, 11:07 »
Although different, but the same :)   , I had a Vauxhall Ampera on a 3 day test drive.

It seems to have pretty much the same figures as the Golf GTE, from a miles driven on electric only point of view etc, albeit the Golf has more power available.

Anyway, I drove the Ampera exactly how I would drive in my normal way of working, but perhaps hammered it a bit more to test out the performance.  All in all I did 185 miles at 177mpg. Pretty good I think.  But, you really need to be able to top the electric up at every opportunity ideally.  The Ampera needed around 7 hours I recall from standard mains plug.

The hybrid, plug in tech definitely works, it is just the purchase cost and charging opportunities that are holding it back for now.  If you worked at an office with parking near a 13 pin plug and an extension lead you would be quids in ...

As for the Ampera?  too compromised for me, had some very nice features, but then didn't have and cant spec things like an auto dimming rear view mirror.  The fact the it is only a four seater is that cars biggest draw back though.  Did drive very nice though and each journey became like a game of electric v's petrol usage, not sure if that novelty would wear off though.

If the Golf came in at 30K for a well specc'd one, that would become viable to a heck of a lot people I think, especially with Golf residuals.  The batteries will always be a concern though in the 2nd hand market, hugely expensive still.
Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2014, 11:17 »
Presumably it has a tiny fuel tank?

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2014, 12:21 »
Presumably it has a tiny fuel tank?

I would assume so, 188mpg and 580 miles a tank is less than 3 gallons.  Plus the batteries have to go somewhere...

It says on a normal 3 pin plug full charge is 3.5 hours. These actually sound really viable. I 'd drive it to work and back, then charge overnight in the garage.
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2014, 12:34 »
They also state that although the brochure says 188mpg it actually did 235mpg on the test drive.

Car in "actually does more than the claimed mileage" shocker!!!!

:wink: :grin:
Golf GTD Mk VII | DBP | DSG | Discover Nav

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2014, 12:37 »
Very interesting indeed - I wonder what a charge costs plugged in to a home wall socket?

I think that for pure e-cars with about an 8 hour charge, the cost per day was apparently less than 15p per day, IIRC.

I can't imagine that it will be significantly more than that.
Golf GTD Mk VII | DBP | DSG | Discover Nav

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2014, 13:20 »
Very interesting indeed - I wonder what a charge costs plugged in to a home wall socket?

I think that for pure e-cars with about an 8 hour charge, the cost per day was apparently less than 15p per day, IIRC.

I can't imagine that it will be significantly more than that.

Most of the charging costs touted by the likes of Nissan for the Leaf etc were based on overnight charging under an "Economy 7" tariff, which is just under half the price alomst everyone pays for their electricity. Real electric miles on the Leaf are about 6p (3p on Economy 7), compared to 12.4p for a 50mpg diesel (fuel/electricity comparison). The leaf costs you £90 a month in battery rental if you don't pay silly money up front for one.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2014, 13:38 »
I'm gonna be controversial here, apologies. But all this is sounds like a false economy. Doesn't sound like it saves that much money? AND… all this 'I'm saving the planet' stuff is false too. The CO2 may not come out of the back of the car when in electric drive…. No, the CO2 was produced at the power station! And there's all the deadly acid cr*p in the batteries… where are they going to be ethically disposed of? As you can see… I'm not convinced. :wink:
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline GTI7me

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2014, 13:48 »
As above, completely agree. Besides, the GTI is always going to be more fun  :wink:

J

2013 GTI (GONE) - 2014 GTI Performance Pack - Manual, Discover Nav, 5 door, Park Assist

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2014, 14:10 »
It's not really false economy because no one has released cost figures, the figures mentioned here are just us lot talking from past knowledge or what is on the market now.

Also, 200mpg isn't false economy. It all depends on the plans offered by VW.  It will also depend on how people buy. If 3 year PCP/PCH then battery life won't be an issue, although how it affects the GFV will matter.

Also, the cost of 3.5 hours per day electricity will pale in comparison to the £10 a day I have to work.

Finally, no one is claiming this is a hippy friendly world saver , it is about how the costs will affect the individual, which is how it is being marketed.
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline karlak

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2014, 14:26 »
I know the 177mpg I got over 3 days in the Ampera was no false economy.

My company pay me per mile travelled, based on around 35 mpg.  I was quids,, no false economy there.  If we are talking about true ecological credentials then we can debate, but the fact was I did 177mpg :)

Covering 20,000 miles a year,,, kerr ching :)

Ordered 06/01/14.  5DR GTD DSG, Red. Park Assist | Rear Camera | Keyless entry | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | Pro Nav.