Author Topic: Remap on Mk7.5 R Estate  (Read 1224 times)

Offline A13XDB

• Not said much yet
Remap on Mk7.5 R Estate
« on: 04 April 2023, 15:41 »
I had a remap put onto my car a little over 500 miles ago, today I had it put back to stock under a 30 day return/money back policy.

I found it to spoil the car. It was just too harsh.
The only way I could describe it is that it's like exchanging the Mrs for a nymphomaniac half your age. In theory a fantastic idea however in reality just too much after a while.

Previous
Alfa Romeo 146 Ti
Mercedes C230K (W202)
Mercedes C200K (CL203)
Mk4 R32
B6 Passat Estate SEL TDi 170 DSG
2014 Mk7 GTI PP DSG
2010 Mk6 Gt TDI 140 DSG
2019 Mk7.5 GTD DSG
Current
2019 Mk7.5 R Estate DSG
2012 Skoda Yeti SE Tdi 4x4

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Remap on Mk7.5 R Estate
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2023, 15:53 »
Bad map would be first guess, always use a decent company a good map will dive as normal until you press the go pedal. Also depends on your driving style, if you use the accelerator as an on off switch no map will be suitable.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2023, 20:41 »
I had a remap put onto my car a little over 500 miles ago, today I had it put back to stock under a 30 day return/money back policy.

The only way I could describe it is that it's like exchanging the Mrs for a nymphomaniac half your age. In theory a fantastic idea however in reality just too much after a while.

Who did the remap?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2023, 10:49 »

Who did the remap?

If it wasn't Revo, get yourself to Revo.

Offline Jace

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2023, 11:26 »

Who's software did you have ?

Did you have the DSG done too ?

I have a 7.5 stg2 R estate with REVO software for both engine & DSG & its drives perfectly.
2018 Golf R 7.5 Estate > Full Revo stg2 set up

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2023, 15:55 »
Thankfully I’m not a deluded orange skinned billionaire, so chasing young nymphomaniacs with my wallet has never really figured. At my age I’m happy if my recycled evening cuppa can hit the piss pot in the dark at 3am without getting my feet wet, that’ll do me.

Mid-life crisis remaps did feature strongly in my life though, quite a few of them in fact. Some better than others. Even the REVO ones weren’t completely without downsides.
Fluctuating boost, clutch slip, odd noises…
Would I do it all over again though? … Hell yeah!

Well, it depends on the car really.
I used to really enjoy the smaller turbo GTI engines and TDIs with remaps as they spooled nice and low in the rev range and gave a mighty shove of torque right where it’s most useful.

I added a BMS JB1 to my 2015 R and yes, it made it quicker but not really usefully quicker. In fact to keep speeds sensible on the road I had to change up at 4000rpm and therefore drove it like a Diesel with half a Diesel’s economy.
I’m sure it would have been great if I used it on track or lots of traffic light Grand Prix races but I didn’t.
The turbo and extra boost didn’t really suit my brisk but relaxed driving style and I actually enjoyed driving the car more once it was returned to standard as I could make more use of the lovely way the engine revved and piled on the power smoothly.

Horses for courses I guess.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline A13XDB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2023, 12:41 »
It was a known and respected remap howver it would be unreasonable to name the provider.

The change was not for me.
Previous
Alfa Romeo 146 Ti
Mercedes C230K (W202)
Mercedes C200K (CL203)
Mk4 R32
B6 Passat Estate SEL TDi 170 DSG
2014 Mk7 GTI PP DSG
2010 Mk6 Gt TDI 140 DSG
2019 Mk7.5 GTD DSG
Current
2019 Mk7.5 R Estate DSG