Author Topic: OEM Wheel Supplier  (Read 3215 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: OEM Wheel Supplier
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2022, 23:00 »
£1,000 or thereabouts is probably the current going rate for a brand new genuine 19” OEM Pretoria alloy for the Golf.

Best way to tell if a Pretoria advertised for sale is a genuine one or not is to ask to see the reverse side of the spokes to ensure the important identifying marks are there. The offset of a replica is also likely to be be slightly more aggressive than the offset of a genuine OEM Pretoria, and the OEM centre caps might not fit a replica Pretoria.

Bear in mind that OEM Prets were available for other VW models (e.g. T-Roc R, Passat) with a different offset to the Pretoria’s fitted to the Golf. There’s also an OEM 18” version that is available from VW’s accessories range, so it’s important to check that any Pretoria alloy advertised for sale had the correct part number and spec details for the Golf.

The genuine OEM 19” Pretoria for the Golf will include the following information stamped into the reverse side of the spokes;
VW Part no; 5G0601025AJ or 5G0601025CK
Size and offset; 8J x 19 ET50
Manufacturer - Borbet or BBS (probably Borbet, but BBS did make some of the early Pretoria’s for VW)

There’ll also be the VW logo, and (I think) a JWL test certification mark stamped into the back of the spokes.

I’m assuming you’re not interested in a refurbished alloy? If you are, always ask the seller to confirm it’s not suffered any structural damage / structural repairs. Also, the silver colour of the Golf’s Prets seems to be a difficult colour for many wheel refurb companies to get an accurate colour match on, so there’s a risk a refurbished wheel might not match the other wheels on your car.

All good advice, thank you. As background, I'm just swapping a wheel that got damaged with a pothole impact and am going to get it refurbished and have that as a spare. Given the car, I want to keep OE wheels and all the others are in perfect condition. Dealing with a claim with the local council who quickly tried to dismiss despite having dashcam video evidence, photographs of the hole and so forth. They changed their tune when I sent a lawyer's letter.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2022, 23:02 »
Why not just run the T-Roc Pretorias like I did? £1,400 brand new from Volkswagen for a set of 4, only difference is they aren’t forged, which is a good thing as they’re less likely to buckle and they’re et45 which saves you from fitting 5mm spacers.

3G0071499 2ZT

Yeah, I'm dealing with a buckled wheel due to pothole damage as I said to SRGTD so this is a good thought. Assume they come in 19?

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2022, 23:05 »
If you only want one wheel, and it needs to be genuine 19 inch for Golf, this one works out a couple of hundred cheaper than the dealer.

Be warned though they don't accept returns.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/192541794539?fits=Year%3A2019%7CMake%3AVW&hash=item2cd462a0eb:g:daUAAOSwc~5a-98R

Thanks for the tip, have you dealt with them?

Interesting, a friend in the US with a 7.5R said his cost him US$785.00 (same part number) which prompted my initial post. Thanks for the advice.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2022, 23:07 »
VW in St Andrews is selling some 18s at 1400 but with new premium contact 6 tyres so that’s under 1k for the wheels themselves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324926590219?hash=item4ba7224d0b:g:Cm0AAOSwysBgkQ0a

Thanks but I'm after 19". Might have been an option before I bought these for winter: https://www.racingline.com/cup-wheels If you're after 18s, they're a great choice.

VW_Golf_nut

« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2022, 06:12 »
£1,000 or thereabouts is probably the current going rate for a brand new genuine 19” OEM Pretoria alloy for the Golf.

Best way to tell if a Pretoria advertised for sale is a genuine one or not is to ask to see the reverse side of the spokes to ensure the important identifying marks are there. The offset of a replica is also likely to be be slightly more aggressive than the offset of a genuine OEM Pretoria, and the OEM centre caps might not fit a replica Pretoria.

Bear in mind that OEM Prets were available for other VW models (e.g. T-Roc R, Passat) with a different offset to the Pretoria’s fitted to the Golf. There’s also an OEM 18” version that is available from VW’s accessories range, so it’s important to check that any Pretoria alloy advertised for sale had the correct part number and spec details for the Golf.

The genuine OEM 19” Pretoria for the Golf will include the following information stamped into the reverse side of the spokes;
Manufacturer - Borbet or BBS (probably Borbet, but BBS did make some of the early Pretoria’s for VW)

There’ll also be the VW logo, and (I think) a JWL test certification mark stamped into the back of the spokes.

I’m assuming you’re not interested in a refurbished alloy? If you are, always ask the seller to confirm it’s not suffered any structural damage / structural repairs. Also, the silver colour of the Golf’s Prets seems to be a difficult colour for many wheel refurb companies to get an accurate colour match on, so there’s a risk a refurbished wheel might not match the other wheels on your car.

All good advice, thank you. As background, I'm just swapping a wheel that got damaged with a pothole impact and am going to get it refurbished and have that as a spare. Given the car, I want to keep OE wheels and all the others are in perfect condition. Dealing with a claim with the local council who quickly tried to dismiss despite having dashcam video evidence, photographs of the hole and so forth. They changed their tune when I sent a lawyer's letter.

If council are at fault you are entitled to be put back into the same position prior to damage, so, just get a brand  new wheel from VW, same spec tyre, keep all the invoices and claim the costs back.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2022, 09:21 »
If you only want one wheel, and it needs to be genuine 19 inch for Golf, this one works out a couple of hundred cheaper than the dealer.

Be warned though they don't accept returns.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/192541794539?fits=Year%3A2019%7CMake%3AVW&hash=item2cd462a0eb:g:daUAAOSwc~5a-98R

Thanks for the tip, have you dealt with them?

Interesting, a friend in the US with a 7.5R said his cost him US$785.00 (same part number) which prompted my initial post. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry, no. Haven't dealt with them. Always worth having a look on German ebay though for VW stuff if you can't find what you want in the UK.
7.5 GTD

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2022, 11:14 »
Why not just run the T-Roc Pretorias like I did? £1,400 brand new from Volkswagen for a set of 4, only difference is they aren’t forged, which is a good thing as they’re less likely to buckle and they’re et45 which saves you from fitting 5mm spacers.

3G0071499 2ZT

Yeah, I'm dealing with a buckled wheel due to pothole damage as I said to SRGTD so this is a good thought. Assume they come in 19?

They're only 19 but only also come in matte grey. With this in mind you'd need to run two on the rear and then you'd have a staggered set of pretorias as well as refurbish two to colour match.

Either way I'd look into the price of two just as an option.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2022, 06:29 »

If council are at fault you are entitled to be put back into the same position prior to damage, so, just get a brand  new wheel from VW, same spec tyre, keep all the invoices and claim the costs back.

Council are at fault. Getting the money out of them is proving to be fun. I half expect them to pay me in 2p pieces at this rate having looking at their financials.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2022, 08:01 »
Quick update. Turns out VW dealer was the cheapest and easiest place to buy an authentic wheel. Or rather the least likely route to have a complete nightmare with returns!