Author Topic: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Conker

• I live here
Re: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!
« Reply #20 on: 03 August 2007, 17:18 »
AlanD asked what my niggles on Mk4 are:

1) Front suspension is sloppy and squeaks/rattles massively at slow speeds so im guessing its bushes, but poss bushes and dampers.
2) Brakes are squidgy and distribution doesn't feel right - It used to feel as solid as a rock under heavy breaking. I've had brand new discs fitted (by the main stealer as well) so it should be tip-top.
3) Drivers Recaro has developed an annoying creak in the side support.
4) Rear washer is fooked (brass washer pipe inside the unit) and is setting off my alarm... Simple fix I can do but its still a pricey-ish part.
5) Air conditioning is temperamental... Lovely and cold for 20 min then goes warm... Again prob just needs refilling with coolant, but its more £Â£Ã‚£.
6) The daft tw-ts at work who can't reverse into a space properly have put two scratches on the passenger side. :angry:

I actually feel a bit better after getting that lot off my chest. Plus its literally just come back from the garage with a fully passed MOT!   :grin:

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2007, 17:19 »
Having driven 8v, 16v, 1.8T, GT TDI 150 I would say (echoing the posts of others!)

mk2: more fun on A and B roads, people will admire it, cheap to own and service if you are mechanically competent, you feel like you are driving it as apposed to riding in it

mk4: much better for the motorway or if you do a lot of miles, more refined and quiet, air con! You arrive much fresher after a long journey  :grin:

Put it this way, I would not swap my mk2 for a mk4, but thats me being sentimental  :rolleyes:.  I would keep the mk2 and get a something more modern if I had lots of miles to do.  The point about reliability is fair enough, but in my experience the mk2 is very reliable if it’s well looked after.  I have only had one break down (water leak onto coil) in 9 years and 130K (touching wood now)  :smiley:

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2007, 17:21 »
(touching wood now)  :smiley:

i can see you like mk2's but thats a bit much.  :laugh:

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2007, 17:26 »
^ pmsl  :laugh:

btw, is your sig Curbar Edge?

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2007, 17:34 »
froggatt , but good spot anyway. i assume you're a climber or walker?

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 03 August 2007, 17:40 »
 :cool:

Not a climber or walker.  Curbar etc used to be part of my daily commute thrash  :grin: (Worksop to Chapel-en-le-Frith).  I used to really enjoy going on the back roads  :smiley:

Sorry about hte hijack Conker  :embarassed:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #26 on: 03 August 2007, 18:13 »
AlanD asked what my niggles on Mk4 are:

1) Front suspension is sloppy and squeaks/rattles massively at slow speeds so im guessing its bushes, but poss bushes and dampers.
2) Brakes are squidgy and distribution doesn't feel right - It used to feel as solid as a rock under heavy breaking. I've had brand new discs fitted (by the main stealer as well) so it should be tip-top.
3) Drivers Recaro has developed an annoying creak in the side support.
4) Rear washer is fooked (brass washer pipe inside the unit) and is setting off my alarm... Simple fix I can do but its still a pricey-ish part.
5) Air conditioning is temperamental... Lovely and cold for 20 min then goes warm... Again prob just needs refilling with coolant, but its more £Â£Ã‚£.
6) The daft tw-ts at work who can't reverse into a space properly have put two scratches on the passenger side. :angry:

I actually feel a bit better after getting that lot off my chest. Plus its literally just come back from the garage with a fully passed MOT!   :grin:

You will get exactly the same with a MKII, but not pay a fortune to put it right. As I said before, these cars need to be kept on top off, so you will get your hands dirty more often.

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #27 on: 03 August 2007, 18:36 »
hers my 2 pence worth...
I have '90 valver, my dad has a mk4 anni (180bhp).

I would prefer to take his for a motorway trek but would take mine as a daily driver every day of the week! even tough he has more power/torque mine would detroy it on the twisties!!!

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 03 August 2007, 18:57 »
I'd probably get out and drive a couple of mk2's first if i were you, can be difficult to decide even from a test drive though.

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

Offline vin1.8t

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 03 August 2007, 21:18 »
the mk2 are a great classic car but would you get a real good 1 for the money?
me personly would never get rid of a mk4 1.8t for anything
id spend the extra to get it all working 100%
but only you can make your mind up you wouldnt ask advice here of what women should i marry?
i know marrige isnt as important as this but couldnt think of anything as important
for sale mk4 1.8 turbo gti with revo remap bmc n milltek