Author Topic: Whats the Best Fuel for my GTI?  (Read 16276 times)

Offline Creepy Coupe

• I live here
Re: Whats the Best Fuel for my GTI?
« Reply #70 on: 04 May 2007, 09:44 »
TT asked
Aye me too.  But it might just be a turbo or FSI thang - and CCs has neither!  But on my fuel filler flap, if defo says 98 as the preferred, then something like 95 with reduced performance.  I just wondered if CCs .:R32 said the same?

No my flaps say 95, and I thought the R32 had an FSi fuel system ?

I too initially thought the 32 had FSI (VW stealers again!!!) - but have subsequently been told it definately does not.  CC, look on your plastic engine cover - if it does have FSI, then those three letters will be adorned on the cover.  Alternativley, remove the cover, and look for the injectors, and more importantly, the ultra high pressure FSI fuel pump.  To id the pumps, look at the pics of the engine in my RS4 thread - there are two pumps, one for each bank, sitting on the red-tops, near the rear RS4 carbon cover.

mind you it is a lazy engine, I mean 250 from a 3.2 is hardly pushing the envelope

I'll look tomorrow, starnge though as the fuel pumps kick in when I open the drivers door, just like the Gti, thought that was asign of FSi.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #71 on: 04 May 2007, 10:13 »
TT asked
Aye me too.  But it might just be a turbo or FSI thang - and CCs has neither!  But on my fuel filler flap, if defo says 98 as the preferred, then something like 95 with reduced performance.  I just wondered if CCs .:R32 said the same?

I too initially thought the 32 had FSI (VW stealers again!!!) - but have subsequently been told it definately does not.  CC, look on your plastic engine cover - if it does have FSI, then those three letters will be adorned on the cover.  Alternativley, remove the cover, and look for the injectors, and more importantly, the ultra high pressure FSI fuel pump.  To id the pumps, look at the pics of the engine in my RS4 thread - there are two pumps, one for each bank, sitting on the red-tops, near the rear RS4 carbon cover.

mind you it is a lazy engine, I mean 250 from a 3.2 is hardly pushing the envelope

I'll look tomorrow, starnge though as the fuel pumps kick in when I open the drivers door, just like the Gti, thought that was asign of FSi.

That'll just be the normal lift pump, mounted in the fuel tank, or it could even be the purge pump for the carbon canister.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Creepy Coupe

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 04 May 2007, 10:29 »
TT asked

That'll just be the normal lift pump, mounted in the fuel tank, or it could even be the purge pump for the carbon canister.

The noise comes from upfront, so I suppose it's the latter.

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #73 on: 12 July 2007, 09:46 »
so tesco is the best? thats good for me not far to go!

i get mine today!! (if all goes right!)
SteveS

ED30: Carbonio Intake & Filter | Blueflame TBE | Ebach Sportlines | Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert | Forge DV | REVO Stage2 [353BHP/360lb/ft]

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #74 on: 12 July 2007, 10:32 »
What's the best fuel? - Isn't this a no-brainer? - Shell V-Power.

Why? - Because it has important additives which contribute to the health and longevity of your valuable FSI engine.

Do you trust Tesco? - I don't!

As others will have doubtless already posted: Only use 95 RON in emergency, the 2.0T FSI runs best on >98 RON.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #75 on: 12 July 2007, 11:12 »
No, the best fuel, now proven by two independent tests:
- Tesco 99 RON
A close run second would be:
- Shell V-Power 99 RON
SteveS

ED30: Carbonio Intake & Filter | Blueflame TBE | Ebach Sportlines | Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert | Forge DV | REVO Stage2 [353BHP/360lb/ft]

Phil mcavity

« Reply #76 on: 12 July 2007, 16:00 »
Tesco 99 is the best and proven aswell over shell v-power.Your local tesco may only do 97 octane as most of the smaller tesco outlets only do that grade, if so , get the V-power but you will pay over the odds for it, (as long as tesco dont balls up like recently), hope you finally pick up the beauty today mate, let us have some pics s.a.p.

Offline SteveS

• I live here
  • GTI ED30
« Reply #77 on: 12 July 2007, 16:20 »
cheers! :D

how do i tell if its 97 or 99... it should be labled?

http://www.greenergy.com/tesco_99_octane/where_to_buy.html
Watford is on the list!! woot!
« Last Edit: 12 July 2007, 16:24 by SteveS »
SteveS

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #78 on: 12 July 2007, 16:24 »
Tesco 99 is the best and proven aswell over shell v-power.Your local tesco may only do 97 octane as most of the smaller tesco outlets only do that grade, if so , get the V-power but you will pay over the odds for it, (as long as tesco dont balls up like recently),

....Two very strong reasons to drive past Tesco stations without stopping. Not only is V-Power more consistent but has the additives. Each to their own though of course :cool:.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline fliptophead

• Not said much yet
« Reply #79 on: 14 July 2007, 18:15 »
I'm really peee'd off that nowhere north of Yorkshire, and south of the Scottish borders has the fuel...

Clearly they must think we can only survive on the 97 octane stuff... BOOOOO!

They must think that nobody north of Yorkshire has cars that need the good stuff....  Shame be upon them!

You have to laugh though... I got back from my hols a couple of weeks ago, and was looking at the grade of fuel out there...
83 octane was the cheap stuff, and 89 was classed as super grade ( one place had 93 but was charging silly money ... well ok a couple of quid a gallon)...

Not only do the americans have smaller gallons, they have much weaker fuel... probably explains why the Mustang ( eugh ) I hired did about 5mpg when I caned it.
ED 30 ... Best car I've had yet.....

3 door Steel Grey ED 30 GTI rear tints, IPOD connection, parking sensors, Lux pack 1, auto dip/fold mirrors...