Author Topic: A BMW drivers view of the GTI !  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: A BMW drivers view of the GTI !
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2007, 18:13 »
Review of the new BMW M3 here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2007/07/14/nosplit/mfbmw14.xml

Particularly like the summary here:

We like: Gloriously unapologetic power and performance from BMW’s racing division.

We don't like: Uncouth engine note, scary handling when pressing on (or not), lack of steering feedback, carbon-fibre roof, image as a drug dealers’ car, 11mpg means a life spent with oil company free gifts.  :grin:

I've always hated the lack of steering feedback in BMWs!  I really don't get why some motoring journos rave about "dead" centre-feel from bimmer steering gear!  :sick:

Another sweet quote:
The car is untypical of M-sport's traditional understatement and makes the Audi RS4 look very grown up - no clues for guessing why I like that!  :smug:

Another one:
Perhaps all this is a way of saying I'm not good enough fully to exploit the handling of the new M3, but this is nevertheless a heavy-duty car with a lot of performance and not a lot of feedback to the driver. What feedback you do get tells you that if you use its performance, it feels horribly almost out of control for quite a lot of the time. I don't mind admitting it frightened me a bit
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline BodyThief

• Not said much yet
Re: A BMW drivers view of the GTI !
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2007, 20:16 »
I always felt that the steering in the 330 was heavy and stodgy. The GTi steering doesnt have a great deal of feel, but is lighter and quicker.  The car feels more lively as a result, and doesn't rip your arms out at parking speeds!