Author Topic: R reviews  (Read 13984 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: R reviews
« Reply #40 on: 24 April 2021, 18:19 »
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 25 April 2021, 14:55 »
Joe Achilles review.

https://youtu.be/u1pnpzlI4Es

I just watched that review whilst eating lunch (leftover cold sausage and feta cheese salad if anyone is interested  :rolleyes:  :grin: ) and have to say it’s definitely one of the best I’ve seen.

Shame it wasn’t the full fat PP model as featured in the link Fred put up versus the M135i which I also just watched.

I agree with just about everything Joe says about the mk8 looks and switchgear aside from the AID and the steering wheel. Two of the mk8’s standout features for me are the shape/size/sculpting of the steering wheel and the AID clarity.
Obviously I have zero experience of driving an 8R but I think he covers it well there from a performance point of view.
Driving it normally wasn’t covered too much but then again they tend to gloss over that in most road tests.

Moving on to the vid Fred linked to, the Car Gurus twin test.
Well the R was in a silly expensive (but no doubt popular) spec and the BMW looked a fairly standard one, I’ll have to take the result at face value as the presenter is a bit of an R fanboy.
Yes, the EA888 feels more eager flat out but the M135i is a great daily with a better programmed gearbox and more torque for less than 8 tenths normal driving.

https://youtu.be/3Zk8zO3wsXU

Despite the “presenter’s” enthusiasm I fell asleep watching this one.
Not that it was a bad vid, I just think I’d OD’d on Golf YouTube vids for one lunchtime...

My thoughts, well the guy looks a bit like a younger version of my younger brother (I think it must be the eyebrows as my bro doesn’t do enthusiasm!), I quite liked his jacket and, well we all know the R is the best car on the Internet already don’t we.

Ok Wide, where’s your review?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 25 April 2021, 15:47 »
Is the R the only MK8 Golf with 4 pipes? If so, I saw the back of a white one today. The only badging on the back was the awful but in trend stretched G   O   L   F.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 25 April 2021, 15:53 »
Probably an R-Line then as it has mock 4 pipes and G O L F lettering where as a full-fat R has just half an R under the roundel handle
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 25 April 2021, 18:13 »
Probably an R-Line then as it has mock 4 pipes and G O L F lettering where as a full-fat R has just half an R under the roundel handle

Well that's an upscale in fakery. Didn't realise tge R-line was faking the tail pipes now too. Does it also have an R looking interior too, to complete the proper Sheep in Wolf's clothing effect?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 25 April 2021, 19:21 »
Yep, exact same seats except the print is a different colour (grey vs blue and grey).
There’s an R-Line that lives just around the corner from my house and it’s a definite double take thing every time I see it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Darlo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 26 April 2021, 10:09 »
I’ve done 500 miles in my R so far. When I done a few more I will write a summary of my thoughts if people are interested.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 26 April 2021, 15:15 »
Driving a CS and R back to back on Wednesday, I will let you know the outcome

MK7 GTi

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 26 April 2021, 16:03 »
I’ve done 500 miles in my R so far. When I done a few more I will write a summary of my thoughts if people are interested.

We are indeed very interested. Your thoughts will be incredibly relevant as you have a broad range of comparison benchmarks as well as your personal appreciation  and otherwise of different aspects of the car.

Driving a CS and R back to back on Wednesday, I will let you know the outcome

Really looking forward to reading that. Probably not as much as you’re looking forward to the actual driving though!! Lucky man! :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 26 April 2021, 16:06 »
Really looking forward to reading that. Probably not as much as you’re looking forward to the actual driving though!! Lucky man! :afro:

Yep should be good, it will be a small write up im not one for books :laugh:

MK7 GTi