Author Topic: Engine bay  (Read 1548 times)

Offline jc_tattooer_

• Not said much yet
Engine bay
« on: 01 April 2023, 20:58 »
So, I think I want to give my bay a clean, it’s dusty, and just not very clean, to my standards anyways. I’ve not cleaned a bay since I had my fiesta RS turbo years ago, which was a lot simpler than my GTi I’m sure.

Should it be running when I do it, or not? Are there areas I should avoid? Should I just wash or waterless clean? I don’t want to remove grease that needs to be there. Any tips well received
‘18 Mk7.5 GTi DSG deep black pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Engine bay
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2023, 21:55 »
Just clean the visible plastic bits.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2023, 15:51 »
APC in a spray bottle, a long bristle brush and some scrap microfibres is all you need. It's not necessary to power hose the engine bay in my opinion, you open yourself up to unnecessary risks and computers aren't cheap.

Last two I did:

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline jc_tattooer_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2023, 19:07 »
Fair comments guys, thanks, I’ve a bag full of cloths I can go at it with, just spent a while on it, just a general clean, been to Blackpool today came back to it covered in seagull sh!te, so could leave it so it’s had a bubble bath, I’ll do the bay tomorrow

Offline jc_tattooer_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2023, 20:24 »
•Update•

Went down my local place to pick up some G-techniq stuff, got a new ceramic coat, will be applying that after the it’s come back from the Bodyshop,  they had some brushes too, and interior and an exterior, so grabbed them, dusted down the bay, then with some rags and plastic cleaner, got it to where I want it, finally…. Saying that it’s going in the body shop soon so no doubt I am gonna be doing it all over again…. Got the passion back for it all again now, after a good 10 years away from it all…. Can’t wait to hit some shows