Author Topic: Climate control in winter  (Read 3090 times)

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
Climate control in winter
« on: 13 December 2012, 08:04 »
Hi all,

I was just wondering what people tend to run there climate control on during the winter. I just leave mine as normal with ac on and just put the temperature up.

My brother tends to turns his on and off in his mk6. He has a 12 plate and with the cold weather over the last few days seems to be getting condensation inside the back window.

I was wondering if its genuine issue with a seal or if there is a best practice to how climate control is used.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Climate control in winter
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2012, 08:24 »
Mine is set permantly at 19/20 with no A/c rear window may steam up from exhaust gases hitting it, then I just use the rear demister.  I may add that over night my beast sleeps in the garage, although it does sleep in a carpark during the day but its not frozen at the moment by the time I have left work.  I didnt think a/c worked when it was too cold anyway.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2012, 08:29 »
My A/C is off in winter most of the time unless I get steamed up.

If he doesn't want to have his on the entire time, to avoid misting, he needs to turn the A/C off for a good 5-10 mins before he finishes his journey as the A/C system as it warms up when it's been turned off condenses, hence dampens the car.

Use the high-auto climate setting with it off also
Carbon Grey Edition 35, DSG, ACC, Cruise Control, Luxury Pack, RCD 510, TPMS

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2012, 08:45 »
My Golf doesn't have climate, but my Passat does. I leave that set at 22 on Auto all the time through the winter and use the heated seats if it's really cold outside.

The air con doesn't work below cira 3 degrees, so it can steam up if I get in with wet boots on. I have to put it onto demist with the fan wound up a bit then.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2012, 09:10 »
I turned mine to 22/22 Auto when I picked the car up, 2.5 years ago, and it hasn't been off since.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2012, 09:44 »
I leave it on auto almost all the time and use the demist when required. The only time I turn off the climate is if I drive with the windows open which is probably a few times a year.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2012, 21:19 »
My Golf doesn't have climate, but my Passat does. I leave that set at 22 on Auto all the time through the winter and use the heated seats if it's really cold outside.

The air con doesn't work below cira 3 degrees, so it can steam up if I get in with wet boots on. I have to put it onto demist with the fan wound up a bit then.

Oh yeah the heated seats are used for the first 5 minutes to get the rump toasty.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2012, 07:36 »
No a/c and set to 19/auto....some of you lot must be reptiles as I sweat at anything higher  :laugh:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2012, 10:02 »
yeah 19 or 20 for me too! makes me want to nod off if its too hot in the car!

i have the altea set to 20 but the mrs always has it on 22 but shes a cold arse!
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2012, 10:08 »
The lower the temperature you set the healthier your bodies working, according to a Radio Programme I heard once.

18/19 your young.
22 just means your old!  :laugh:

61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.