Author Topic: Cost of living making me consider going back to diesel  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Happy

• Not said much yet
Thinking about giving up the GTI in favour of a diesel. Looking at a Honda Civic or Ford Focus where mpg is quoted in high 70's - so real world maybe 55mpg.

Energy price cap rise due in October and I still feel violated from the last rise.

I know I'll probably regret it but kind of feel backed into a corner.

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Cost of living making me consider going back to diesel
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2022, 13:02 »
Peace of mind is underrated, it's just a car at the end of the day!

Although the injectors are a weak point, I know someone that got real world 65mpg out of a 1.6 GT TDI pre-facelift.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Happy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2022, 13:57 »
Peace of mind is underrated, it's just a car at the end of the day!

Although the injectors are a weak point, I know someone that got real world 65mpg out of a 1.6 GT TDI pre-facelift.

Cheers, might look in to that.

Online symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2022, 15:18 »
Be careful with Focus diesels, especially the 1.6 DV6 unit, as it is known for problems.

By brother has a 1.6 TDi Skoda Octavia, and that easily does 55-60mpg and it isn't too slow, has plenty of room etc.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2022, 14:11 »
Granted that Diesels are cheaper now due to demonisation but would it really make *that* much of an impact to your daily driving?
At some point you’re going to have to sell the Derv car too so you’ll get less back (theoretically, unless they suddenly come back into fashion if China kicks off with Taiwan and we stop importing electrical things from there bearing in mind the amount of Western investment in Chinese EV’s) so that will kind of even out.

Diesel seems to be 6 to 8p a litre dearer everywhere I’ve gone past recently and the GTI happily runs on 95 and can easily do 40mpg in cross country use using sensible driving techniques. Unless you’re doing mega miles you probably won’t save a fortune and won’t be sat in such a nice car. Nicer things tend to cost a bit more but they make you… err, Happy  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Happy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2022, 14:39 »
 :smiley: good point well made, sir

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2022, 14:46 »
Thinking about giving up the GTI in favour of a diesel. Looking at a Honda Civic or Ford Focus where mpg is quoted in high 70's - so real world maybe 55mpg.

Energy price cap rise due in October and I still feel violated from the last rise.

I know I'll probably regret it but kind of feel backed into a corner.

Before my MK7 GTD I had a MK6 2.0 litre 140bhp diesel for about 6 months. I used to get about 650 miles to a tank, compared to 400-450 in my MK7. I am not sure if the MK6 had a bigger tank, but it was a great car. Only cost me 5K and was very eco!
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Happy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2022, 21:25 »
No longer a GTI owner - traded it in today. If anyone in Norwich is interested in a night blue gti with leather then swing by Holden Honda before it heads off to auction.

Far too good a car for auction.

Anyway, all the best everyone.

Happy

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2022, 07:18 »
No longer a GTI owner - traded it in today. If anyone in Norwich is interested in a night blue gti with leather then swing by Holden Honda before it heads off to auction.

Far too good a car for auction.

Anyway, all the best everyone.

Happy

What have you got instead? How many miles do you do?