Author Topic: Any Knock Acceptable?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
Any Knock Acceptable?
« on: 22 July 2022, 13:01 »
I've had a 'knock' emanating from the front drivers side of my 2013 Mk7 GTi PP for a few months that progressively became worse. Most noticeable when travelling over uneven roads at speed (40mph+) but also occasionally at slower speeds over minor potholes. Took it to my local garage who replaced the dampers, lower control arms and drop links and the 'knock' is vastly improved. However, when hitting the more sever potholes (not on purpose may I add!), I can still hear a 'knock'. My query - should any 'knock' be acceptable?

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: Any Knock Acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2022, 13:36 »
Nope,
Are anti roll bar bushes still a problem?

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2022, 13:52 »
The garage checked all the front suspension components. The NSF damper was definitely leaking and the lower control arm bushes definitely shot. I did ask for the top mounts to be changed whilst doing the dampers, but was assured after inspecting them they were fine. I've used the independent garage a number of times and can vouch for them knowing their trade - guess they may've missed something? Has anyone had a 'knock' that after investigation, wasn't related to the suspension components?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2022, 20:45 »
Top Mounts.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Rich62

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2022, 23:27 »
Not had this experience with VW but sounds very similar to the issue I and others had with the Fiesta ST, as mentioned above it was Top Mount (drivers side on that car) 
« Last Edit: 22 July 2022, 23:28 by Rich62 »

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2022, 10:13 »
The 'knock' feels like it's emanating from around the area beneath the clutch pedal. As mentioned, since changing the dampers, lower control arms and drop links the 'knock' is far less noticeable ie. it happens far less frequently, not that it's quieter. The garage did assure me that the top mounts were fine, could they have missed something whilst inspecting them? Would a faulty top mount cause a 'knock' from beneath the clutch pedal? Might it be the front sway bar bushes as these are around the area beneath the clutch pedal?

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2022, 13:34 »
Check all the front subframe bolts are tight and also the lower engine mounting bolts.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2022, 15:05 »
Surely they checked for play before replacing all that otherwise they are wasting your money randomly changing things that can cause a knock. I would take it to another garage for a second opinion personally.

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2022, 15:27 »
The NSF shock definitely needed replacing as it was leaking and you could see the access play when the mechanic was crowbarring the wheel from beneath. The lower control arm bushes were also definitely worn as I saw them. Knocks and creaks from the MK7 seem to be an issue from the start of production and seem to have numerous reasons, all often very difficult to diagnose :angry: Would it be a correct assumption that if I hear/feel the knock from beneath the clutch pedal that the issue would be in that area? If so, the sway arm bushes seem the next logical place to look/replace? If it were the top mounts, the knock would be higher?

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2022, 20:12 »
I've had a metal knock every time I go over bumps, had it ever since I had the car :lipsrsealed: (bought used). It sounds like the exhaust is loose but to me it sounds like it's coming from the passenger front wheel area. Been to the garage multiple times for other things and nothings ever been picked up, although the majority of searches I do online brings up the top mounts. So as others have said, seems to be a common thing and one of the first spots to check