Author Topic: Lowered car alignment??? Where?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
Re: Lowered car alignment??? Where?
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2022, 18:32 »

Hey do you know if the camber is adjustable as standard for normal alignments? Or do I need adjustable top mounts?
Cheers

Camber is not adjustable from the factory on a MK 7.

A 25mm drop should dial in a small amount of negative camber.

Sorry, let me provide more information. I have attached a photo from the internet that looked exactly like my front tyres. However, the wear was on the side of the front two tyres. Is this likely to toe angle or the camber from dropping 25mm front and rear. The weird thing was that both tyres had evenly worn tread across them, apart from the inner side, like displayed in this pic. Would dropping my car 25mm cause that much of an issue to the tyres providing I have had them properly aligned. After my research I’m leaning towards toe angle rather than camber, as the camber would have to surely be ridiculously angled to cause that damage? Any thoughts from anyone would be welcome to have a guess at the cause, because I don’t really wanna spend £600 getting suspension with adjustable top mounts?

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2022, 19:21 »
If what your saying is the wear on your tyres looks like the pic but on the inner edge then that could be caused by excessive toe out caused by lowering and not readjusting the toe angle.

A 25mm drop would indeed increase the neg camber, but not by much, and certainly not enough to do that.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2022, 19:24 »
If what your saying is the wear on your tyres looks like the pic but on the inner edge then that could be caused by excessive toe out caused by lowering and not readjusting the toe angle.

A 25mm drop would indeed increase the neg camber, but not by much, and certainly not enough to do that.

Thanks for the help! I’ve spent about 4 hours watching countless YouTube videos non-stop and that is the conclusion I have come to. That meme of when a woman is wondering why her man in quiet thinking he’s cheated, but he’s actually trying to figure out wtf is going on with a minor issue with his car - is so accurate! Haha. Thanks for the help and advice!  :smiley: :smiley:
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2022, 19:29 »
Glad to be of help, all part of being on a forum like this.

Anytime.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2022, 20:33 by madstaff »

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2022, 19:33 »
Glad to be of help, all part of being on a forum like this.

Yeah, this forum is the best for advice and the nicest bunch of non judgemental people of any car brand forum I have been apart of. I’ve never seen anyone on any post be negative, only positive and willing to be very helpful. It must be a VW thing haha! Again, thank you and have a great weekend!

If you want to witness toxicity, just click on a Ford forum! Haha  :grin:
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2022, 14:36 »
Hi, to anyone that is interested. I went to ETS, as they have a hunter alignment system and only cost £37.50 for the front axle. They said it was toe out issues. I am not clued up on the results, but apparently they are fine now. I have attached the results... Do they seem okay?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 27 July 2022, 16:46 »
You had a bit of toe out and now you've got a whiff of toe in.

-41 +-30 minutes is the tolerance for camber, so 1 degree 11 minutes is the maximum tolerance, hence the right front is highlighted in red. (60 minutes = 1 degree)

Perhaps could've tweaked the camber angles by nudging the sub-frame across to the left a touch, it just would've evened them up a little, about 1 degree 20 minutes either side.

However this would have been a bit (alot!!) of trial and error and £37-50 only buys you so much time, i guess for that money its purely a front wheel toe align and adjust although it looks as though they might have tweaked the left rear and brought that into spec.

Hope some of that makes sense??

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2022, 10:10 »
You had a bit of toe out and now you've got a whiff of toe in.

-41 +-30 minutes is the tolerance for camber, so 1 degree 11 minutes is the maximum tolerance, hence the right front is highlighted in red. (60 minutes = 1 degree)

Perhaps could've tweaked the camber angles by nudging the sub-frame across to the left a touch, it just would've evened them up a little, about 1 degree 20 minutes either side.

However this would have been a bit (alot!!) of trial and error and £37-50 only buys you so much time, i guess for that money its purely a front wheel toe align and adjust although it looks as though they might have tweaked the left rear and brought that into spec.

Hope some of that makes sense??

Thanks! When I drove home last night the wheel was pulling to the left ever so slightly, I'm guessing the readings could be the result of the wheel pulling to the left? Checked tyre pressures and they were only 1 psi different. So, I'm gunna take it back today to get it looked at.

I'll say I spoke to a mate who's a mechanic and say that he thinks this maybe the solution haha.

Appreciate the help as always!!! :grin:
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2022, 11:10 »
Those toe readings are bloody good, 0.04 minutes each side, with a total toe of 0.08 is spot on.

spec is .10 minutes toe in +-10 so your pretty much bang on.

Cars tend to pull slightly to the left due to the camber of the road.

The trouble is with a front wheel alignment only, you can get the front to be spot on but it will always be fighting the rear if thats out of spec.

The rear alignment looks good in your case but thats not to say the rear axle centre line is parallel to the front axle centre line.

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 28 July 2022, 13:39 »
Those toe readings are bloody good, 0.04 minutes each side, with a total toe of 0.08 is spot on.

spec is .10 minutes toe in +-10 so your pretty much bang on.

Cars tend to pull slightly to the left due to the camber of the road.

The trouble is with a front wheel alignment only, you can get the front to be spot on but it will always be fighting the rear if thats out of spec.

The rear alignment looks good in your case but thats not to say the rear axle centre line is parallel to the front axle centre line.

Yeah, I don't think this pulling to the left is the road, as the steering wheel is off centre. I know that the road does play an affect, but when driving in a straight line the wheel is visibly off centre

They said "Your friend is 100% right haha" and they have said to bring it back down whenever and they will have a look and adjust it for free!

Thanks again!
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1