Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2777569 times)

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12430 on: 12 August 2022, 17:13 »
Well I’ve had it for about 18 months now and no issues and on the TCR….very very hot hatch! Pulls like a beast, even up steep hills just goes like it’s not there.

Well worth the upgrade and was just fine on insurance too.

Have you had the TCU remapped too?

No. But I want to k ow more about what it will do for me before I go get that done. Ideally someone here that has but not sure how many people have had a stage 1 on a TCR.

DSG is obvious an amazing shifter and I’ve lived quite happily with stage 1 for all this time. I do wonder sometimes when in sport and shifter in M and cursing in 3 the kick down you get when you flatten it feels like someone has hit you up the rear! If the box map makes that quicker and smoother then I’ll probably go for it.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12431 on: 13 August 2022, 14:23 »
Well what seemed like the longest week and a half i finally got my TCR back. After fighting a losing battle with stone chips she went in for a full front end respray and PPF. Money well spent? Time will tell i guess lol.

Welcome to the PPF club, You'll feel silly for a month or two but 6 months+ on you'll think it's the best thing ever  :grin: Looks fantastic

I'm well chuffed with it. Because having never had it before i had nothing to compare it so didn't know fully what it would look like, so i was a bit surprised that i could see parts of it on some edges (you can't see it anywhere else), for the money i paid i was expecting to see nothing lol. After chatting with the guys who installed it and them explaining how difficult it is with the tolerances etc you can understand why, they even did the headlights, which i wasn't expecting. Overall i am impressed with it and it's worth the outlay.

The mid-life crisis is continuing and in all my nearly 50 years i've just bought my first ever private plate, i didn't want to do it against me as my name is a bit boring and a little bit wanky so i went for the TCR lol. As it was too hot today to do anything (that's the excuse i'm using for not cutting the hedge!) i fitted said plates. My OCD knows that the rear plate is ever so slightly lower on the left compared to the right but i'll blame VW Marshall as i used the same holes they did when they put on their branded plate! I have the 'I' on my GTI badges sorted so i can live with a number plate that's slightly on the piss lol.
Big shout out to jv for sending me a plate surround, looks great on the TCR.

A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12432 on: 13 August 2022, 16:08 »
Well what seemed like the longest week and a half i finally got my TCR back. After fighting a losing battle with stone chips she went in for a full front end respray and PPF. Money well spent? Time will tell i guess lol.

Welcome to the PPF club, You'll feel silly for a month or two but 6 months+ on you'll think it's the best thing ever  :grin: Looks fantastic

I'm well chuffed with it. Because having never had it before i had nothing to compare it so didn't know fully what it would look like, so i was a bit surprised that i could see parts of it on some edges (you can't see it anywhere else), for the money i paid i was expecting to see nothing lol. After chatting with the guys who installed it and them explaining how difficult it is with the tolerances etc you can understand why, they even did the headlights, which i wasn't expecting. Overall i am impressed with it and it's worth the outlay.

The mid-life crisis is continuing and in all my nearly 50 years i've just bought my first ever private plate, i didn't want to do it against me as my name is a bit boring and a little bit wanky so i went for the TCR lol. As it was too hot today to do anything (that's the excuse i'm using for not cutting the hedge!) i fitted said plates. My OCD knows that the rear plate is ever so slightly lower on the left compared to the right but i'll blame VW Marshall as i used the same holes they did when they put on their branded plate! I have the 'I' on my GTI badges sorted so i can live with a number plate that's slightly on the piss lol.
Big shout out to jv for sending me a plate surround, looks great on the TCR.

Me too…

2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12433 on: 13 August 2022, 19:34 »
If you're using the number plate screws you should use the foam pad found on audis and other vw's (audi a1, a3, tiguan etc) to stop abrasion of the paintwork behind the numberplate.

I use foam tape to affix my numberplates which also stops it, if I have time I'll show you the damage it can cause.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12434 on: 13 August 2022, 21:16 »
If you're using the number plate screws you should use the foam pad found on audis and other vw's (audi a1, a3, tiguan etc) to stop abrasion of the paintwork behind the numberplate.

I use foam tape to affix my numberplates which also stops it, if I have time I'll show you the damage it can cause.

It's funny you should mention that, when i ordered the plates i ordered the fixing kit as well as it included the foam sticky pads as well. I didn't think about the abrasion side of it, it was more as a double way of securing the surround and plates  :grin: 
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12435 on: 14 August 2022, 08:09 »

It's funny you should mention that, when i ordered the plates i ordered the fixing kit as well as it included the foam sticky pads as well. I didn't think about the abrasion side of it, it was more as a double way of securing the surround and plates  :grin:

See below the abrasion line from unbacked numberplates, it's very common and £2 sticky pads do prevent it  :smiley: also the rest of the image because gloss (just corrected paint and wax nothing else).

« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 08:12 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #12436 on: 15 August 2022, 11:03 »
On my Mk2, I used some rubber tap washers to space the rear number plate off the tailgate. I did this so that it left a slight gap and any dust could be hosed out from behind the number plate, rather than getting trapped and turning into grinding paste.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #12437 on: 20 August 2022, 20:17 »
I’m pleased to say I’m back in a MK7!

I had a Clubsport #301 and loved contributing to this forum but after a couple of attempted thefts I traded it in for a Touareg 2.5 years ago. I have missed it ever since (the car and the forum  :smiley:) and rather than let the bad guys win I have bought another Clubsport.

This time it’s a 3 door manual in grey and she’s a beauty. 2 previous owners and only 17,000 miles.

I have become quite attached to the tank so we’re keeping that as the family car.

I’m glad to see a lot of familiar names, this is such a great forum!

GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #12438 on: 20 August 2022, 20:34 »
 Excellent news, welcome back!  :cool:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12439 on: 20 August 2022, 21:51 »
^^+1. Nice looking house too! CS looks great, hope you really enjoy it, brilliant cars!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.