Author Topic: "High Torque" Uprated clutch kit with single mass flywheel - any good?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline sarahs_gti

• GTI forum regular
The clutch is starting to slip on our 1.8t GTi and I'm looking to replace it asap.

I've been quoted £230 for standard kit with dual mass flywheel, OE spec but not genuine parts. 

Now I've been on ebay and I've seen a kit from "High Torque" with a single mass flywheel and uprated pressure plate and release bearing.

Link....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PERFORMANCE-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-KIT-GOLF-MK4-1-8-TURBO-AGU_W0QQitemZ390085546548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad2e91234

Just wondered if changing to a single mass flywheel and uprated clutch gives any side effects, I've heard that it can cause unwanted vibrations and noises and if anyone has had one of these kits what are they like!!! Cheers!
'99 1.8T GTi 5dr - Tropic Orange | 18" TT Quattro Sport Rims | Full Cream Leather Interior | 4Motion Valances | -35mm Jamex Suspension | Forge SPLT-R | VR6/G60 Clutch/Flywheel |

******NOW FOR SALE******

Offline Purely VAG

• I live here
Its essentially a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch

Heres some feedback: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/186276.aspx

Most recomend it :)

✉ Jrd@PurelyVAG.co.uk // www.PurelyVAG.co.uk

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Probably a Valeo kit.. check my most recent posts via my profile to get my take on it so far as I had one fitted a couple of weeks ago.

Not all bad, not all good lol

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
I've emailed that seller about the same kit in the past and he said it's only rated for standard torque.

Offline brianpologti

• Here all the time
Its essentially a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch

Heres some feedback: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/186276.aspx

Most recomend it :)

I've got g60 flywheel  and vr6 clutch (standard one) think it was from gsf the clutch part and problems what so ever, done lots of miles on it been in 4 years (hard and has been remapped before) even towed my mate van,

Offline sarahs_gti

• GTI forum regular
Right, after an hours reading on here and ukmkivs I've decided to go with the G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch kit mod.

Firstly, wheres the best place for a NEW flywheel - reason being I wanna have the car mapped as soon as the clutch is run in and don't wanna be pissing about I'd rather get a new one.  Ebay only has second hand ones on.

Also I've noticed that theres is some debate around whether the G60 flywheel and Mk3 16v ABF flywheel are the same, can anyone clear this up?

Also wheres the best place for a VR6 clutch either sachs or equal spec/quality?

Cheers for the help already, time to get sorted now its slipping badly so we ain't using it for a while till its done now!
'99 1.8T GTi 5dr - Tropic Orange | 18" TT Quattro Sport Rims | Full Cream Leather Interior | 4Motion Valances | -35mm Jamex Suspension | Forge SPLT-R | VR6/G60 Clutch/Flywheel |

******NOW FOR SALE******

Offline DarkGti

• I live here
lots of threads on this sarah!! ***search is your friend*** :kiss:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=87775.0

Offline sarahs_gti

• GTI forum regular
Everything in one go! Nice one, thanks for that!!!!!

******NOW FOR SALE******

Offline The Dave

• I live here
the G60 and ABF flys have same part no.

Euro Car Parts do a valeo kit for 218 which has flywheel, clutch, release bearing, pressure plate, bolts etc.

I have just had one fitted in mine... its ok but like I say check my recent posts saves me going thru all my threads to copy and paste in here.

Some people with OEM G60 fly and sachs clutches have same issue as me which is a bit of jerking/jolting when coming off the throttle and gearchanges feel a little bit sloppier/slacker than before...

End of the day you're paying 220-300 quid for bits instead of double, I think people wanna believe it's better than it really is sometimes lol.

Offline sarahs_gti

• GTI forum regular
The car has got a bit of a jerk coming off the throttle anyway, I've got a feeling that its one of the gearbox mounts or dogbone mount (its done 130k anyway so I'd imagine they're ready for changing)

Gonna try euro tomorrow and if they have the bits might pick them up and get it done. Everything with regard to gearchange is still really precise and solid so a slight bit of sloppiness won't be that bad (I used to have a Saab 95 Aero and that was like driving a bus it was that sloppy).

As long as it can handle the remap and I ain't gotta replace the flywheel again I'll be happy, the clutch thats in the car is still the original so its not done bad for 130k miles, don't think the car was ever driven in anger until we got our hands on it.

******NOW FOR SALE******