Author Topic: Oh deer  (Read 4625 times)

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Oh deer
« on: 24 February 2024, 15:48 »
So unfortunately just had an incident with a deer, sadly it jumped out almost immediately in front of me with no chance to avoid it. Car dropped all of its coolant and destroyed most of the lower part of the front bumper.  Might be a silly question but is it worth claiming for the repair on insurance or paying for it myself? Never been in any kind of situation like this so slightly unsure on the best course of action.

Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Oh deer
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2024, 16:03 »
That's a real shame for both you and the deer. I'd go straight down the insurance route as it could be a sizeable bill.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2024, 17:19 »
If you have “protected” no claim bonus, I agree you prob want to go straight to insurance.
If not, it’s difficult to calculate the financial effect which will stretch over a few years premium wise.
Without “protected” you will drop back two years bonus and if you are not currently on maximum bonus at the moment, the step- back will cost you over a few years until you build back up.
No such thing as a low cost repair these days.
It’s very galling when it is “no fault” but without another party to recover from it’s just rotten luck.
Hope all goes well whatever your final choice.
Oh, and remember you will probably have a reasonably chunky excess on your policy. Mine is £500.
By the way, I am an insurance broker of (too) many years standing.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2024, 18:49 »
I'd honestly pay for it yourself depending on the damage. Could just be a coolant hose got clipped by the bumper, and then the bumper itself isn't bad and the plastics trims are actually very cheap, £20 x 2 + £60 for the middle one.

With insurance going up I'd definitely look into the price yourself first. Just depends on your current situation as you have just purchased the car as well and your excess as you could potentially get away with a £1k repair bill. By no means cheap but better than affecting your premiums.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2024, 20:01 »
I'd honestly pay for it yourself depending on the damage. Could just be a coolant hose got clipped by the bumper, and then the bumper itself isn't bad and the plastics trims are actually very cheap, £20 x 2 + £60 for the middle one.

With insurance going up I'd definitely look into the price yourself first. Just depends on your current situation as you have just purchased the car as well and your excess as you could potentially get away with a £1k repair bill. By no means cheap but better than affecting your premiums.

Yeah I've been thinking about doing this, I know it might seem like it's more upfront but it could potentially be cheaper in the long run.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2024, 20:02 »
If you have “protected” no claim bonus, I agree you prob want to go straight to insurance.
If not, it’s difficult to calculate the financial effect which will stretch over a few years premium wise.
Without “protected” you will drop back two years bonus and if you are not currently on maximum bonus at the moment, the step- back will cost you over a few years until you build back up.
No such thing as a low cost repair these days.
It’s very galling when it is “no fault” but without another party to recover from it’s just rotten luck.
Hope all goes well whatever your final choice.
Oh, and remember you will probably have a reasonably chunky excess on your policy. Mine is £500.
By the way, I am an insurance broker of (too) many years standing.
Sadly I do not have protected NCB. I don't know why as I was always under the assumption that I did. Definitely something I will be doing next time!

My excess is £450 so say it is a £1k bill to pay then it may work out better just to pay it myself. Time will tell but we'll wait and see what happens.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2024, 20:03 »
Thanks all really great advice all around. Annoying situation but certainly could've been a whole lot worse.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2024, 20:07 »
I meant to ask, how's the actual condition of the bumper? It doesn't look to have any cracks in it, a heat gun could get the lower section straight again and would save you having to replace and spray the bumper.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2024, 11:12 »
I meant to ask, how's the actual condition of the bumper? It doesn't look to have any cracks in it, a heat gun could get the lower section straight again and would save you having to replace and spray the bumper.

I can't really say as I didn't take any other pictures to be honest. I think from looking at that image though the bulk of the damage is definitely on the grills so hopefully it shouldn't be too expensive. Radiator did look somewhat bent however so could be pricey to replace that. Although without looking at parts online I wouldn't know.
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2024, 11:50 »
Catching up with thread, without protected bonus, insurance is just the solution of last resort I think.
Take hold of the situation and manage it yourself.
If you report to your insurer it is difficult to reverse and you lose control of the repair costs and more importantly the cost of insurance for some time to come.
Happy to give you more advice any time you need.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)