Author Topic: OVER HEATING CD PLAYER HEADUNIT!!!!  (Read 591 times)

Offline richardhammond

• GTI forum regular
OVER HEATING CD PLAYER HEADUNIT!!!!
« on: 18 December 2007, 19:59 »
HI all after driving for 1 hour or so my headunit turns off!!! I assume that it is over heating becuase it is extremly hot!! is there any thing i can get some ventilation or something???
Any help please!!!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: OVER HEATING CD PLAYER HEADUNIT!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2007, 22:22 »
Hum I had a similar problem in my first MKII back in the day. I had a minidisc player in it and in the winter the heat from the heaters would cause condensation in the cold disc case in the drive and it would stop playing.

The only thing I can suggest is swapping for a different head unit (never had one overheat before myself) or relocate it to the centre console and bung some gauges in the Headunit slot.

Nick

Offline richardhammond

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2007, 22:40 »
It is a brand new head unit!! i think it might be becuase i have put lots of leads behind it for a 4 channal amp so it is very snug!!!
Can the foam around the wires be removed to make a bit more space of air?
Can a small computer fan be wired in?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2007, 22:41 »
I would guess yes to both of those. Not sure what voltage a PC fan runs at but you'd want to make sure it ran of the switche dlive so it doesn't flatten your battery.

Nick

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2007, 22:43 »
Just a thought, but maybe the foam pads on your heater flaps have disintegrated, letting hot air out all the time?

Offline richardhammond

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2007, 23:15 »
YES It does let hot air out all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do if fix/replace it??

Offline Mannings

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2007, 13:05 »
yep mine does that too, good tip on the foam pads, will have a look at that tonight, thought it was just the sh#t headunit i had borrowed will i try and remember the code to my proper one!!!

In the mean time i'll be mostly wearing more clothes with the heating on cold so the bass can still pump...priorities

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2007, 18:30 »
^^^ Fair play to that mate, you must realy love your tunes to do that in this weather

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2007, 11:26 »
just a thought from another angle -  is the head unit wired off the ignition or is it a permanent live? i had a unit once that would turn off after a while and it was a feature so your battery wouldnt get reained. ii rewired it so it would only come on with the ignition and hey presto, it worked!

it was years ago so technology might have moved on