Author Topic: Golf MK2 1.3 (My first and new Golf beast)  (Read 2568 times)

Offline dr-green-thumb

• Not said much yet
Golf MK2 1.3 (My first and new Golf beast)
« on: 16 November 2007, 11:25 »
Hello Peeps, This is my first post here so be nice!  laugh

I have recently purchased a MK2 Golf and unfortunately it isn't a GTI. I am looking at getting some extra bhp out of the tiny little 1.3 and am wondering if anybody could stear me in the correct direction (I am looking at what I can do without a complete engine replacement!) Is it possible to fit anything to the engine?

Also, what are the differences between a GTI and a standard golf? I have spotted some but expect there are many other differences too.
I love mah lil Golf.

http://www.clickfound.com Directory of UK based website designers. Add yourself for free now!

Offline dabill

• I live here
Re: Golf MK2 1.3 (My first and new Golf beast)
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2007, 12:14 »
tbh mate, you might be better off just concentrating on replacing consumables, and keeping it looking tidy, as any 'mods' you add probbaly wont have any noticable effects, you will be better off spending your time making sure all teh standard stuff is in working order and running efficiently.

clean it all down, gunk the engine bay, give it a scrub, clean it all off and then you'll know what condition everything is in... just get it looking smart so your proud of it!

pop some engine flush through it to de-carb it and then replace the oil and that might make the engine a little more efficient. also run a decent fuel addative through the system, will help clean up all the lines etc.

basically what im getting at, is give it a damn good service, especially if it hasnt had a good one for a while, and you should notice at the very elast the car will run alot smoother for it.

rob

noble tuned - and still not fast enough!

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2007, 16:21 »
you can also get the GK manifold form a polo 86c on the continent.

im currently experimenting with an ABD exhaust manifold (has a twin downpipe 2 into 1, the manifold instead of being 4 into 1 is also 2 into 1 and 2 into 1 combined.. will need to chop off unless you cna find he end from a cat.. the flared end and flange, and weld on a short extension to make it fit to the current system/couple up

GT cam goes in, or swap the whole ehad for an ABD head.. and GT cam.. apparently bigger portage n the abd head..

weber carb sees a small improvement to..
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Leon R

« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2007, 22:53 »

Good advice from dabill

Keeping any car in a perfect mechanical working order will be the best for it. No point having a full £600 system exhaust when you have air leaks and perished rubber hoses and sticking calipers! How is your handbrake? The Mk2's suffer from rear calipers siezing and this would cause you poor performance and bad fuel economy!

My valver had quite a few problems and when i fixed them all with new parts, there was a huge difference.

Probably not what you wanted to hear! But spend that time making everything run right and you probably will start feeling the difference as you go on.

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2007, 13:32 »
1.3 doesnt have calli's its got drums  :wink:
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Leon R

« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2007, 11:12 »
Tis true!

Offline fomus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2007, 17:16 »
I recently got a 1.3 as well - you would be surprised how much a good service makes a difference, had the tracking done this weekend to finish it off and it feels like a new car (compared to how crap it felt to start with - misfiring etc)

Obviously there are various cosmetic changes you can make if you are that way inclined. But as Leon R is saying there is no point having a car thats cosmetically perfect without it running as smoothly as it looks!

I think you can get K&N replacements for the air filters that are standard on the 1.3 but i am not sure how much of a difference this will really make performance wise if any...

Offline dr-green-thumb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2007, 17:52 »
OK I understand!! I am already on the case of having the car returned to its former self! I just don't think it is as attractive as some that I have seen before and as such think it would be good to make it look and drive a lot better!

Thanks everybody for the info!
I love mah lil Golf.

http://www.clickfound.com Directory of UK based website designers. Add yourself for free now!