Author Topic: 'G' Digi 8v wont idle at all when cold  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Alec

• I live here
'G' Digi 8v wont idle at all when cold
« on: 04 November 2009, 14:42 »
Hello all, I am new to any kind of forum and fairly new to the golf scene so sorry for any silly sounding questions.

My G plate digi 8v gti has been having some problems from cold, it absolutely hates running unless I keep my foot on the throttle, but once the oil temp reaches 50 degrees she runs fine (alhtough idle is a little low).

I gave it a new dizzy cap n rotor and also gave the idle control valve the petrol bath treatment after another idle/backfire/misfire problem in the past (which is now cured) so I am out of ideas. Also under load I get a very annoying oil pressure warning bzzer and flashing light, could this be linked to the problem??

Any advice would be brilliant as I am getting sick of sitting like a wally for 10 mins every time I start it just so it doesnt die when I make my first gear change  :smiley:

Alec

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: 'G' Digi 8v wont idle at all when cold
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2009, 14:46 »
First thing to do would be to replace the blue temp sensor on the flange coming out of the front of the block (Get gen VW not a pattern one). This tells the ECU the water temp and regulates cold running fuelling. Could well be your problem and it's good to replace these as they're not expensive and prone to failure.

The oil buzzer is more of a concern. This is telling you your oil pressure is low and this is very bad. That said 99% of the time these things go off because of a faulty switch rather than actual oil pressure problems. When is it buzzing? Above or below 2500rpm? Have you checked the oil level (Stupid question, but best check).

Nick

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2009, 14:54 »
Cheers, i'll try it. I have noticed that the water temp gauge hardly ever reads any temperature (yet the fan still kicks in).

The oil pressure warning is a bit varied, sometimes it comes on under 2500, sometimes over. Sometimes it never comes on, even when I give it the beans. I have been driving it so slowly absolutely everywhere in the meantime just in case. Is it right there are 3 or 4 different oil pressure senders on a digi? All of them being fairly cheap?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2009, 15:04 »
The water temp gauage uses a seperate sender so you might want to replace both.

You're correct there are 2 oil pressure senders. One in the side of the head and one on the top of the oil filter housing. I can never remember which reads which but one is for low pressure at low revs and the other is for low pressure at high revs. For piece of mind it might be worth getting it inot a garage and getting the oil pressure tested. Will only take them 10 mins to hook it all up and test and it'll put your mind at rest. As witht he water senders buy gen VW, the GSF ones are pants!

nick

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2009, 15:18 »
Thanks alot for the info, i'll give it a whirl at the weekend n see what happens, will be dead chuffed if all I gotta do is change one little sensor to magically make it run from cold. Thanks again

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2009, 15:22 »
and as a heads up for ya, you are on the door step of R Tech.

If you have any further issues, I am sure between Nick, Ben And Topher they will be able to give a " hands on " answer to your problems :afro:

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2009, 16:03 »
Never heard of them mate, they in Leicester? Its a TSR engine, shame they are so far away or I would of took it down there, but as it stands I dont wanna drive it that far and after the recent re-spray I am out of pocket bigtime

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2009, 16:06 »
Unit 17, Phoenix Business Park, Brindley Road, Hinckley, Leicestershire, LE10 3BY

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2009, 16:40 »
as in spitting distance  :wink:  :cool:

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2009, 16:49 »
Yeah just down the road, they told me to take it down of friday or saturday and they will diagnose the problem free of charge. Will deffo be using them in the future. Thanks guys