Author Topic: suspension suggestions  (Read 9083 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: suspension suggestions
« Reply #30 on: 08 December 2010, 17:46 »
How much more are we talking if you do?

I suggested those ones as they have oem comfort being bilsteins with a slightly stiffer drop as I thought that was what you were after...

Um I managed to find some Prothane ones on the bay as shown here and here

Cheap enough... I recommend greasing them up before fitting to prevent turret rust. 

Just had a look on the bay for you and couldn't see any but a quick google should find your some.

dunno... bout a ton more... 350/400

Well you could always go for an Apex sport kit (same drop but firmer gas shocks)  this is still under £270 delivered + the other bits you'll need...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APEX-Sport-Kit-VW-Golf-Mk1-Inc-Cabrio-74-83-/280524831096?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4150953978

No point trying to spend any more IMO unless you're after some heavy duty collies... the next step up on a shocks and spring arrangement would be something like the Bilstein B12 setup but then you're looking at over £600!.. for what you want i don't think it's worth it.

thos apex jobbies aren't grabbing me

OEM comfort might be taking it ftw... bilsteins it will be me thinks  :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #31 on: 08 December 2010, 18:37 »
Well i've had both Billie oem shocks with -40 springs and some proper expensive billies with -60 eibach springs, both were spot on for their purpose....  I think for a cabby as tidy as yours and the way I think you will drive it you're making the right choice.  Plus you're getting what you want from a reputable brand for the price of cheap sh*t collies... win.   :cool:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #32 on: 09 December 2010, 00:33 »
I had that Streetline kit on my Rivage. I got it from ECP about 5 years ago, it had the Bilstein shocks but the springs were called Ventura (apparently they also made springs for Eibach :wink: ). It was a decent kit for the money (dropped about 40mm too) as it was only about £150 at the time, but the only thing I will say is that although not overly harsh when driving around, if you hit a pot hole it felt like you had cracked the suspension as it felt like a right old whack.
......now officially dubless.