Author Topic: suspension suggestions  (Read 9080 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
suspension suggestions
« on: 24 November 2010, 13:53 »
alreeet

looking to replace the suspension on the rivage in the next month or so...

started looking at struts/springs and thought it would be best to ask you guys

I am looking to lower minimally/not much/not at all as I don't want to spoil the look of the rivage and keep it original as possible

but obviously I would like an increase in handling etc

sooo... bearing that in mind... and a limited budget (£200)

what would you suggest? happy to not have coilies as won't be fiddling with it too much!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: suspension suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2010, 14:01 »
alreeet

I am looking to lower minimally/not much/not at all as I don't want to spoil the look of the rivage and keep it original as possible

what would you suggest? happy to not have coilies as won't be fiddling with it too much!

Tricky one, I had the answer untill you put your budget up.... what condition are your current shocks in... are they in good working order?... if so I strongly recommend a set of Eibach Springs 40mm would be just right without ruining the look.

If you want the whole lot do not get cheap coilovers as they won't give you what you are after I don't think... You can get a full set of Jamex shocks and springs for under 200 if you have a google.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2010, 14:04 by SoundillusioN »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2010, 14:14 »
alreeet

Tricky one, I had the answer untill you put your budget up.... what condition are your current shocks in... are they in good working order?... if so I strongly recommend a set of Eibach Springs 40mm would be just right without ruining the look.

If you want the whole lot do not get cheap coilovers as they won't give you what you are after I don't think... You can get a full set of Jamex shocks and springs for under 200 if you have a google.

current shocks are 'ok' I think.. springs have had it for sure

what was your other suggesting (ignoring budget)

i won't get cheap coilies don't worry... have spensive koni's on the mk3 and don't want to know what cheap ones feel like in comparison!

are these the eibach that you would suggest? http://www.aktivperformanceparts.co.uk/golf-mk1-1974-1983/eibach-pro-kit-vw-golf-lowering-springs-4035mm-1974-1985-2137210-374743-.php

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2010, 15:12 »
alreeet

current shocks are 'ok' I think.. springs have had it for sure

what was your other suggesting (ignoring budget)

i won't get cheap coilies don't worry... have spensive koni's on the mk3 and don't want to know what cheap ones feel like in comparison!

are these the eibach that you would suggest? http://www.aktivperformanceparts.co.uk/golf-mk1-1974-1983/eibach-pro-kit-vw-golf-lowering-springs-4035mm-1974-1985-2137210-374743-.php

Yeah something like that... The combo I used to have on my current car and the one before it were were boge/eibach... You can't go wrong with a set of boge shocks and eibach springs... I believe boge still do a full kit for around £200 but not sure on their springs.... I have also had a bilstein setup and you can get shocks and springs with a 40mm drop for around £230???  if you want keep around the £200 mark i would suggest something like the above.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2010, 15:56 »
you need shocks too  :lipsrsealed:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2010, 15:57 »

as above then..

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2010, 16:22 »

as above then..

:grin:

excellent!! will add them to the shopping list

thank you :)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2010, 16:24 »

as above then..

well when i say you do, I aint rebuilding the old ones with new springs - Simples  :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 24 November 2010, 16:37 »

as above then..

well when i say you do, I aint rebuilding the old ones with new springs - Simples  :smiley:

Good answer, to be fair if they were rebuilt you'd be pretty pee'd off if the shocks failed not long after (which they would)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2010, 16:44 »

as above then..

Good answer, to be fair if they were rebuilt you'd be pretty pee'd off if the shocks failed not long after (which they would)

i have already said I'll add em to the list...