Author Topic: Removed thermostat  (Read 558 times)

Offline Rod1-gti

• Not said much yet
Removed thermostat
« on: 27 January 2011, 15:23 »
Hi all, been having some problems with my car, it started off that the heaters were blowing cold all of the time which they still are, i changed the thermostat as it also started to overheat (even though temp guage read normal ???), the new stat also turned out to be fauly... Pants!

After a bit of swearing i took the stat out completly as i need to use my car, my question is will the fact that the stat has been removed have a detrimental effect on the running of the car and should the heaters work even with no stat?

Also while on the subject, why would my temp guage read normal when the car is overheating? Faulty temp sender?

Hope you can help, I've been trying to get my heaters working for 4 days now, I'm at the end of my tether!

Cheers guys

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Removed thermostat
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 15:29 »
when you say it started to overheat, what was it doing?

running with no stat will make the heaters run cold, and it will make the engine use more fuel as it will take much longer to warm up.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 15:33 »
I still think your matrix is blocked, running without the stat fitted is not the greatest idea in the world.  :smiley:

Offline Rod1-gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 18:40 »
long story short it cut out and the top hose was red hot and under serious pressure, bottom hose was cold. getting a replacement stat tomorrow shouldn't be much of a problem to fit. Got a bigger problem as i have just found out that the head gaskit has gone. Starting to regret buying this car  :cry:.