Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785025 times)

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13180 on: 29 October 2023, 18:10 »
Download the updated  maps off the VW website and installed them onto my car  :smiley:
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13181 on: 09 November 2023, 19:50 »
Clocked 30k miles as I drove home a short while ago.

Engine nicely loosened up now, next 30k should be fun
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13182 on: 09 November 2023, 19:51 »
Taken for major service and MOT under the all-in plan.

Glad I opted out of the courtesy wash - think I walked past the "detailing department" on the way out...

mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13183 on: 09 November 2023, 20:00 »
Taken for major service and MOT under the all-in plan.

Glad I opted out of the courtesy wash - think I walked past the "detailing department" on the way out...

Looks ok to me, it’s the two bucket method😄
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13184 on: 09 November 2023, 22:39 »
Looks ok to me, it’s the two bucket method😄

:cool:
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13185 on: 10 November 2023, 10:12 »
Not to get too nerdy, but there's no science behind the two bucket method to prove benefit to it and that single bucket is just as good.

Main things to keep paint is a good pre-wash and a grit guard for the bucket. Also that a chenille wash mitt is the best type of mitt from testing.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13186 on: 10 November 2023, 10:43 »
Not to get too nerdy, but there's no science behind the two bucket method to prove benefit to it and that single bucket is just as good.

Main things to keep paint is a good pre-wash and a grit guard for the bucket. Also that a chenille wash mitt is the best type of mitt from testing.

Irony is a wonderful thing…….
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #13187 on: 10 November 2023, 15:49 »
Preparing for MoT and service on Monday (all under All-in plan)
New front tyres GY Vector 4 Season Gen3 and discs and pads all round c. 62k miles
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13188 on: 11 November 2023, 18:30 »
Today I discovered why my spare wheel was swimming in 30mm of water!

And why my windows mist up whenever the sun shines.

History; I have had this car from new, paid cash almost £30ks worth, added tons of extras including leather seats, +£400 on detailing, it has been the second love of my life.
Always serviced by VW and never a single problem...........until now!

Online search indicated rear light seals or air vents (?) hidden under the wheel arches (er why ?)
Now I am a qualified mechanical engineer so I set to work removing interior trims, plug in connectors, etc.
Result; a 25mm pool of water sloshing around in a cavity between the outside and inside corner panels, directly below one of these air vents.

Wait it gets worse much worse, because VW were aware these vents leaked water. YES VW KNEW THESE VENTS LEAKED WATER - FACT!
How do I know? Because an attempt had been made to seal the floor panel below the vents....with wax! YES Liquid wax had been poured into the cavity in an attempt to seal it.
Worse - there is nowhere for this water to drain but into the area under the hatch floor, soaking into anything it contacts.

Top - a piece of the wax I melted and smeared to prove to myself exactly what it was.
Below- the cavity drained of water.
Please note;
a) the partial layer of wax in the bottom, a piece was broken away and was floating on the water before I drained it.
b) bottom right, the muck line cause when water drains from a hole in the cavity out onto the hatch floor.
c) the grey air vents (4) simple paper thin flaps that allow water into the car. The black moulded frame is so poorly made it rattles!

If anyone can explain why I should not permanently seal these vents would they please reply.

Thank you all.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2023, 18:42 by Mike J »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13189 on: 11 November 2023, 20:42 »
If anyone can explain why I should not permanently seal these vents would they please reply.

Thank you all.

They are air equalisation or pressure release vents. There’s been a few instances reported on various forums of these failing and allowing water ingress if the vent assembly no longer makes a watertight seal with the aperture in the lower quarter body panel that it’s fitted in.

When you close a door or the tailgate, the vents enable air in the cabin and / or boot space to be expelled to the outside through the vent flaps, so the doors / tailgate can be closed without having to use unnecessary force. If you completely sealed up the vents, air in the cabin wouldn’t be able to escape and I dare say it might become quite difficult to close the doors / tailgate without having to slam them fairly hard, and possibly take a number of attempts before they’ll shut.

The usual fix if they fail is to replace the vent assembly or apply some sort of flexible waterproof sealer to the edge where the vent assembly makes contact with the bodywork. For a VW dealership to attempt to repair with wax is a total bodge job and completely unacceptable IMHO  :shocked:  :angry:.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2023, 21:15 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl