Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785031 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13020 on: 16 July 2023, 22:08 »
Lots of swearing and puffing and panting but got my VBT slotted discs and EBC Redstuff pads fitted this afternoon

Also noticed that my front tyres need replacing - both down to the wear markers and the left inner edge down to the cords!  :shocked:

So new PS4S tyres going on on Tuesday morning (probably moving the rears to the front, and new ones on the back), then I'd like to get an alignment done, as I've never had one since lowering the car roughly 6 months ago, which probably explains the wear on the inner edge.

Does anyone know a Hunter wheel alignment place near/in Cambridge? Thanks.

Input your postcode in the website at the link below and it should give details of Hunter alignment centres near to you.

https://alignmycar.co.uk/
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #13021 on: 16 July 2023, 22:35 »
Cheers. Tried that earlier but it wasn't working.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #13022 on: 17 July 2023, 08:38 »
On the align my tyres map there are 3 near Cambridge at Linton, Saffron Waldon and Royston.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #13023 on: 17 July 2023, 15:32 »

Does it need to be Hunter? Just curious as to why Hunter?

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #13024 on: 17 July 2023, 18:31 »

Just because I've heard good things about them so assumed them to be the gold standard. Am I incorrect?

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13025 on: 17 July 2023, 18:46 »

Just because I've heard good things about them so assumed them to be the gold standard. Am I incorrect?

Hunter is the de facto system for full sized 4WD cars so must be good as correct alignment in one of those is critical to more than just tyre wear and handling, can damage diffs and transfer boxes.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2023, 19:58 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #13026 on: 17 July 2023, 20:03 »
Hunter supports individual wheel alignment which is important and many systems just support a total value for both front or rear wheels and whilst the total Toe value for both back wheels for example can be within specification, the Toe value by individual wheel can be way off affecting handling.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13027 on: 18 July 2023, 08:28 »
Was yesterday but took my TCR in for its 3rd service, half price mot, free brake fluid change and front diff oil change. Currently waiting for a call back from the service manager to explain why they have disconnected my dashcam!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #13028 on: 18 July 2023, 08:30 »
Was yesterday but took my TCR in for its 3rd service, half price mot, free brake fluid change and front diff oil change. Currently waiting for a call back from the service manager to explain why they have disconnected my dashcam!

VW dealers? Mine was always unplugged when I got the car back as well. Probably so you don't have video evidence of them ragging it round the local estate.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13029 on: 18 July 2023, 08:49 »

VW dealers? Mine was always unplugged when I got the car back as well. Probably so you don't have video evidence of them ragging it round the local estate.

The politically correct reason for them unplugging a dash cam is that there’s probably something in Data Protection Legislation (or similar legislation) that gives them the right to unplug it to ‘protect the privacy of their employees’.

The real reason is more likely as - you’ve said - to ensure there’s no video evidence of the workshop techs ragging a customer’s car, or abusing it in some other way.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl