Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785057 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13010 on: 05 July 2023, 12:12 »
Swapped the austin wheels for bola fle 18x8 et42 with ebay vw centre caps

Fill the arches much better but think the rear could do with 5mm spacers.

Needs some Eibach Pro kit springs IMO ;)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13011 on: 05 July 2023, 13:28 »

I really like Bola FLE’s, especially in the colour that yours are.

Looks as if your Austin’s had been refurbished at some point; I’d hazard a guess it was to get rid of white worm corrosion.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13012 on: 05 July 2023, 15:49 »

What specs are the alloys? There's a few fitment guru's lurking on here that could help you out.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline ES98

• Just got here
« Reply #13013 on: 05 July 2023, 15:55 »
Needs some Eibach Pro kit springs IMO ;)

Next job on the list, either springs and shocks or coilovers, not sure which yet.

I really like Bola FLE’s, especially in the colour that yours are.

Looks as if your Austin’s had been refurbished at some point; I’d hazard a guess it was to get rid of white worm corrosion.

Thanks, was torn between silver or gunmetal but think I made the right decision.
I had the Austins refurbed by the dealer when I purchased the car because they were badly kerbed but surprisingly not much white worm.

What specs are the alloys? There's a few fitment guru's lurking on here that could help you out.

The wheels are 18" x 8j et42. I was looking at flush spacer kits for stock wheels, and the rear spacer is 20mm. So on mine it looks like a 5mm spacer would give a similar fitment?

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #13014 on: 05 July 2023, 16:15 »
I have a set of Borbet 18 x 8, ET 42 winter wheels for my Mk 8. I don’t think the front need any spacers. I don’t have them on at the minute but have looked at photos with them fitted. I don’t think the wheels look any different from the 7 to the 8. I agree with you that the rear might benefit from very minimal spacers, 5mm is probably enough.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2023, 16:18 by EngineCover »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13015 on: 05 July 2023, 18:01 »
5mm rear spacers would be about right.

Having owned examples of both with aftermarket wheels added, I’m convinced the mk7 has a marginally fatter bum than a mk8 as the rear wheel arches are slightly less commodious on a mk8. All to do with aero I suppose.

The so called “flush” spacer kits for the OEM 7.5J wheels are 15 and 20mm but personally I used 12 and 17mm which I thought sat a bit more neatly. Depends on the look you want really.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13016 on: 05 July 2023, 19:45 »
I agree about 5mm would be right for the rear, 8mm for a very flush fitment.

Important to bear in mind with the front is you will be flicking up more stones directly at the arches, so should consider some sort of mudflap to protect the paint from inevitable rust.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13017 on: 06 July 2023, 22:12 »

Important to bear in mind with the front is you will be flicking up more stones directly at the arches, so should consider some sort of mudflap to protect the paint from inevitable rust.

Does vw mudflap offer adequate protection as I have some chips an after fitting new As6 so will prob flick more up?
Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13018 on: 07 July 2023, 12:54 »

Does vw mudflap offer adequate protection as I have some chips an after fitting new As6 so will prob flick more up?

They offer a lot of protection, I've no issue with my wheel specs.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #13019 on: 16 July 2023, 19:43 »
Lots of swearing and puffing and panting but got my VBT slotted discs and EBC Redstuff pads fitted this afternoon

Also noticed that my front tyres need replacing - both down to the wear markers and the left inner edge down to the cords!  :shocked:

So new PS4S tyres going on on Tuesday morning (probably moving the rears to the front, and new ones on the back), then I'd like to get an alignment done, as I've never had one since lowering the car roughly 6 months ago, which probably explains the wear on the inner edge.

Does anyone know a Hunter wheel alignment place near/in Cambridge? Thanks.