Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785082 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12880 on: 05 April 2023, 13:36 »
Picked these up today from refurb: OB5 Porsche Satin Platinum Silver with a new set of Pilot Sport 5's

Much much better than black. I would've gone slightly brighter if it were me, but it's not, so I ain't. Or something like that. Look good and will look brilliant when mounted?

I think I remember from your earlier posts that these are for winter? In which case darker is probably wise.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12881 on: 05 April 2023, 14:02 »
Picked these up today from refurb: OB5 Porsche Satin Platinum Silver with a new set of Pilot Sport 5's

Much much better than black. I would've gone slightly brighter if it were me, but it's not, so I ain't. Or something like that. Look good and will look brilliant when mounted?

I think I remember from your earlier posts that these are for winter? In which case darker is probably wise.

The OB5 colour is a colour variation from BBS so I just went with that rather than custom should I sell them on given my track record with alloys at this point (set number 6 or 8 on this gti). I thought they'd be brighter myself, like a darker hyper silver but was pleasantly surprised and I think the darker is probably better for my car style.

Winter / All year, just to try and take the harsh weather off the Brescias, hence the PS5's as they're a bit of a Swiss army knife tyre and as I don't horse the car on in the winter they seemed like the rational choice.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12882 on: 06 April 2023, 11:59 »
Drove it to work for the first time in 2.5 weeks as I've finally got the brakes fixed. Managed to fix my rear caliper, had to get right down to fixing the caliper placing individual ball bearings and springs back in. Caliper was back on the car on Tuesday night, brakes bled last night, today all sorted.

Now have to return the replacement caliper that I bought off ebay because it just doesn't work. Having seen the inside of one, I can't work out how it's broken, but it certainly seems to be. Will be nice to have fixed the problem for £8.50 rather than £75!

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #12883 on: 06 April 2023, 12:34 »
Been enjoying the sunshine with the sunroof open, even if it was only to go get bread  :smiley:

That looks soooooo good! Just perfect :cool:👍
« Last Edit: 06 April 2023, 12:51 by davo245 »
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12884 on: 06 April 2023, 22:20 »
Drove it to work for the first time in 2.5 weeks as I've finally got the brakes fixed. Managed to fix my rear caliper, had to get right down to fixing the caliper placing individual ball bearings and springs back in. Caliper was back on the car on Tuesday night, brakes bled last night, today all sorted.

Now have to return the replacement caliper that I bought off ebay because it just doesn't work. Having seen the inside of one, I can't work out how it's broken, but it certainly seems to be. Will be nice to have fixed the problem for £8.50 rather than £75!

Nice satisfying bit of DIY, specially when it saves money!
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12885 on: 06 April 2023, 22:29 »
The GTI has been joined by some friends.

Anybody know the collective noun for VWs...?
(think I have an addiction)

mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12886 on: 07 April 2023, 13:33 »
Changed the wheels...again

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12887 on: 07 April 2023, 15:07 »

They look really good! The colour of the wheels works so well with Tornado Red paintwork, and they have a real OEM+ look about them (IMHO, much nicer than any OEM diamond cut alloys with questionable durability). I think they even look better than Pretoria’s.

If it was my car, they’d be staying on permanently :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12888 on: 07 April 2023, 20:28 »

They look really good! The colour of the wheels works so well with Tornado Red paintwork, and they have a real OEM+ look about them (IMHO, much nicer than any OEM diamond cut alloys with questionable durability). I think they even look better than Pretoria’s.

If it was my car, they’d be staying on permanently :smiley:.

Have to agree I was dubious of the colour at the start but I've noticed its got a slight bronze highlight in sunlight and look a deep chrome grey in the evening, whilst being satin actually makes the paintwork pop a bit more. Just need to stomach the cost of more spacers and hub extenders to get them to sit perfectly.

Definitely better than Pretorias I'd say on par with Brescias but much nicer to not worry about the diamond cut.

Definitely very tempting to run year round, the PS5's are superb compared to the 4S so much more comfortable, can't wait until they're broken in to fully try them out, always with the 235 makes it look a little lower by filling the arches.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12889 on: 07 April 2023, 22:17 »
Nice collection LSBristol  :cool:

Will, the BBS colour looks spot on.
Assuming the wheels are 8J, what offset are they? From the photos they don’t look like they need spacers
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner