Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785024 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12700 on: 17 January 2023, 09:49 »
I'm guessing that the black refers to the painted hubs?

Have a look yourself - https://progressiveparts.com/product/vbt-rear-310x22-brake-discs-pair-vag-fitment-golf-mk5-6-7-8-5440744126

I'm not sure. Not that I am particularly fussed - what I have received is good enough for me

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #12701 on: 17 January 2023, 12:36 »
Today I reinsured my GTi...... 

I mention this, as despite another clean licence and no claim year, the renewal has increased by 30% from a leading insurer, this is still half the price of many other quotes.

I assume car parts prices have gone up over the last few years, increasing premiums across the board.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #12702 on: 17 January 2023, 12:59 »

I mention this, as despite another clean licence and no claim year, the renewal has increased by 30% from a leading insurer, this is still half the price of many other quotes.

I assume car parts prices have gone up over the last few years, increasing premiums across the board.

The days of cheap insurance appear to be drawing to a close, I used to swap insurers on all my cars every year via the usual comparison sites to take advantage of the low Y1 rates to attract new customers. Since the legislation that insurers have to offer the same deal to existing customers as well as new came into effect, guess what’s happened - prices rise.

I was actually told by an insurer that they couldn’t offer me a policy for the forthcoming year on my house last year.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12703 on: 17 January 2023, 13:18 »

The days of cheap insurance appear to be drawing to a close, I used to swap insurers on all my cars every year via the usual comparison sites to take advantage of the low Y1 rates to attract new customers. Since the legislation that insurers have to offer the same deal to existing customers as well as new came into effect, guess what’s happened - prices rise.

I was actually told by an insurer that they couldn’t offer me a policy for the forthcoming year on my house last year.

No surprise really that insurance premiums have increased. As much as many of us see insurance companies as the bad guys, in the current climate they will also be seeing their costs increasing like many other business sectors;
  • inflation will be impacting parts, paint and labour costs to repair damaged cars
  • I dare say injury claims also will be costing more year on year, especially those high cost injury claims which can be very expensive to settle
Also, as you’ve said, equalising new and existing customer prices will mean that the cheaper insurance for new customers will have pretty much disappeared now :sad:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #12704 on: 17 January 2023, 14:10 »
I'm guessing that the black refers to the painted hubs?

Have a look yourself - https://progressiveparts.com/product/vbt-rear-310x22-brake-discs-pair-vag-fitment-golf-mk5-6-7-8-5440744126

I'm not sure. Not that I am particularly fussed - what I have received is good enough for me

Response from the seller:

" I can confirm this is the black option. It seems manufacturers are stopping/ no longer coating the face of the disc where the brake pads contact, as this wears off within a couple of uses anyway.

The Black option refers to the center hub and outer edges typically, as these sections are left visible once the black coating of the brake disc face wears through. Once they are used, and your brakes have been applied, the face of the disc will take the usual exposed metal finish."

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12705 on: 22 January 2023, 15:15 »
Decided to vax the mats and boot floor... thing.

Then treated with Gtechnic smart fabric.

Will vax the seats once the warmer weather comes, but leave the Smart fabric for the mats only as without kids or pets I think we can avoid spilling onto the seats (famous last words)

The previous owner service the car as per spec but probably weren't into cleaning it, so after wheels and calipers sealed then car detox wash, fallout remover, tar remover, clay, DA polish and wax, Sonax hybrid seal the mat trim.

Always nice to start ownership with a clean car.

But I fear its a slippery slope.

« Last Edit: 23 January 2023, 12:37 by EB2019 »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12706 on: 25 January 2023, 12:24 »
Took it in for it's big service today. I must say that the Lookers garage I use is pretty efficient and gives friendly professional service. Anyway, all done while I waited and it does feel perkier now.

I will speak to them about the all in plan soon now that my service plan is finished. The only work likely to be needed to qualify will be an aircon service. Will probably get the sunroof serviced too.

One thing I noted whilst there was the general lack of cars both inside and out on the forecourt. The other was that nearly half of the cars on the forecourt weren't VWs.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12707 on: 25 January 2023, 16:26 »
Took it in for it's big service today. I must say that the Lookers garage I use is pretty efficient and gives friendly professional service. Anyway, all done while I waited and it does feel perkier now.

I will speak to them about the all in plan soon now that my service plan is finished. The only work likely to be needed to qualify will be an aircon service. Will probably get the sunroof serviced too.

One thing I noted whilst there was the general lack of cars both inside and out on the forecourt. The other was that nearly half of the cars on the forecourt weren't VWs.
Dealers are buying good cars from auctions now to put on the forecourt and they are also selling older VW cars now. It used to be at four years they wouldn't even entertain a car sitting on the forecourt.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12708 on: 27 January 2023, 15:09 »
For those cold mornings... OBD11 tweak to enable locking with the key when the engine is running.

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #12709 on: 27 January 2023, 15:28 »
Ordered a dogbone insert. Just need the courage to fit it now - it'll be done on axle stands on the drive!