Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785000 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11850 on: 12 November 2021, 18:14 »
Got the Goodyears whacked on them today, and they put black weights on  :smiley: Just washed and decontaminated them ready for ceramic coating tomorrow.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #11851 on: 12 November 2021, 19:38 »
Fitted my old pedal box (used only previous manual Mk7) for the first time since buying the car new in 2019.

Suddenly, leaving the car in D and just pressing the pedal makes sense. I didn’t think the combo of 245 and DSG would need a pedal box but I was wrong.

However, using the fairly high setting I had on the 230 manual makes the new car a bit aggressive for “ normal” use so it’s Ben tamed down a bit to amber minus by trial and error.

Car feels a bit fresher to drive, so does the driver 😏
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11852 on: 12 November 2021, 21:21 »
All ceramic coated with C5 Wheel Armour, just need to clean the rubber when they're on the car to bring them back to super black, super easy on my poka wheel stand.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #11853 on: 12 November 2021, 22:14 »
Wow, that's wheel cleaning commitment  :nerd: :smiley:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11854 on: 13 November 2021, 10:52 »
TCR backbox fitted!

There are quite a few posts about this upgrade (I know as I read them all) but thought worth adding my thoughts, so here's my 1 hour in review.

Managed to source the part from a UK parts supplier LLL parts for about £400 delivered and arrived in under 2 weeks. The part number is 5G6253609ED although the part shipped to me had the Seat Cupra equivalent stamped in the metal, with the VW part number on a sticker. Theyre identical though.

As I've got a 2017, the exhaust bore is 2.5 inches behind the backbox which matches the TCR and so it was a direct fit using an OEM exhaust sleeve (part 1K0253141AA). Took all of 10 minutes for the exhaust place to fit.

Now the important bit - sound. Note that my 2017 is non performance and without a particulate filter. I've not had a cold start yet, but immediately from getting in when it was fitted and giving it a few blips you can tell its more free flowing as there is a small but noticeable overrun when letting off whereas the stock exhaust immediately dies down when you lift off. It has a deeper and more meaningful tone than the standard box, however completely OEM sounding and as many have said, it's just like the gti should have sounded from factory.

There are no real changes to the characteristics in terms of pops and bangs or burbles but there is definitely more character, and its less hoover-like.

Under normal driving, you wouldn't know it was there, which is exactly what I wanted. With windows up, the extra noise is comparable to the soundaktor in sport in terms of volume and also in that its only there when you put your foot down. Zero drone at motorway speeds.

The main thing I've noticed is that with the windows cracked you can now properly hear the exhaust. Before I found that the extra wind noise from opening the windows pretty much drowned out the stock exhaust.

I'm very happy with it and for me it's worth it for the current noise gain, however many have said that over time as its run in and the carbon builds up it gets slightly louder and deeper, which I am not against.

I saw a comment in another TCR backbox thread that said this is not a revolution, but an evolution compared to the original, and so far I completely agree. I also love the fact that the backbox and clamp are both brand new OEM parts, and I imagine only the most switched on VW staff would even notice its not standard.

Overall, for anybody who doesn't want their car to look or sound "modified" but wants to improve the exhaust noise, I can't recommend this enough.

mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11855 on: 13 November 2021, 12:17 »
In to VW Northallerton this morning to get my shrunk under bonnet carpet thing replaced under warranty. 80 mile round trip for me but a good run out for the car and I must say this dealer puts my local Pulman dealership to shame. Excellent service.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #11856 on: 13 November 2021, 17:38 »
Good to see dealer honouring warranty on this. I have had mine replaced twice. No quibble.
My next move is to get rear camera retro fitted.
Decision taken as this car is my first keeper, all things considered (refer to the Mk8 forum re prices, lead times, etc).
I can see me still running this car in 3 yrs time. A first for me!!!!
I said to my long suffering wife “ why do I look after cars so well only to pass the benefit to the next owner”.
Penny has dropped, I think. 😏
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11857 on: 13 November 2021, 18:16 »
In to VW Northallerton this morning to get my shrunk under bonnet carpet thing replaced under warranty. 80 mile round trip for me but a good run out for the car and I must say this dealer puts my local Pulman dealership to shame. Excellent service.

Good stuff, looks much better when replaced. Not sure I'll bother when I'm footing the bill though!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11858 on: 13 November 2021, 19:21 »
Good to see dealer honouring warranty on this. I have had mine replaced twice. No quibble.
My next move is to get rear camera retro fitted.
Decision taken as this car is my first keeper, all things considered (refer to the Mk8 forum re prices, lead times, etc).
I can see me still running this car in 3 yrs time. A first for me!!!!
I said to my long suffering wife “ why do I look after cars so well only to pass the benefit to the next owner”.
Penny has dropped, I think. 😏

Rear Camera is very easily fitted, I did it on my last car.

Or even worse you sell your car and then see someone driving it locally and it's no where near how you kept it, which is so far all my cars I sold privately.  :cry:

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11859 on: 13 November 2021, 20:37 »
TCR backbox fitted!

There are quite a few posts about this upgrade (I know as I read them all) but thought worth adding my thoughts, so here's my 1 hour in review.

Managed to source the part from a UK parts supplier LLL parts for about £400 delivered and arrived in under 2 weeks. The part number is 5G6253609ED although the part shipped to me had the Seat Cupra equivalent stamped in the metal, with the VW part number on a sticker. Theyre identical though.

As I've got a 2017, the exhaust bore is 2.5 inches behind the backbox which matches the TCR and so it was a direct fit using an OEM exhaust sleeve (part 1K0253141AA). Took all of 10 minutes for the exhaust place to fit.

Now the important bit - sound. Note that my 2017 is non performance and without a particulate filter. I've not had a cold start yet, but immediately from getting in when it was fitted and giving it a few blips you can tell its more free flowing as there is a small but noticeable overrun when letting off whereas the stock exhaust immediately dies down when you lift off. It has a deeper and more meaningful tone than the standard box, however completely OEM sounding and as many have said, it's just like the gti should have sounded from factory.

There are no real changes to the characteristics in terms of pops and bangs or burbles but there is definitely more character, and its less hoover-like.

Under normal driving, you wouldn't know it was there, which is exactly what I wanted. With windows up, the extra noise is comparable to the soundaktor in sport in terms of volume and also in that its only there when you put your foot down. Zero drone at motorway speeds.

The main thing I've noticed is that with the windows cracked you can now properly hear the exhaust. Before I found that the extra wind noise from opening the windows pretty much drowned out the stock exhaust.

I'm very happy with it and for me it's worth it for the current noise gain, however many have said that over time as its run in and the carbon builds up it gets slightly louder and deeper, which I am not against.

I saw a comment in another TCR backbox thread that said this is not a revolution, but an evolution compared to the original, and so far I completely agree. I also love the fact that the backbox and clamp are both brand new OEM parts, and I imagine only the most switched on VW staff would even notice its not standard.

Overall, for anybody who doesn't want their car to look or sound "modified" but wants to improve the exhaust noise, I can't recommend this enough.

I was hoping you'd put me off this idea, but you're only encouraging me. Although I've a GPF so not real noise gains to be had, might as well just turn my soundaktor back on.