Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11670 on: 08 September 2021, 17:27 »
I think it was just all the heavens aligning for the economy gods. Also, I filled up at the weekend with Esso 99 when I would normally use Tesco Momentum. I wonder if that made a difference? According to the Esso website it contains no ethanol despite the E5 label.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11671 on: 08 September 2021, 22:13 »
I can't confirm this but I think a great Spotify playlist tends to add 3 mpg.

That's seriously good going I saw 46 before in the gti but that was ACC at 40-55 mph for 50 miles.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #11672 on: 08 September 2021, 22:34 »
I'm on holiday up in the Highlands (for the first time) and am getting 47 mpg along the wonderful A roads, makes such a difference to crappy roads at home.

This is the reason I got a GTi  :grin:
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11673 on: 09 September 2021, 08:22 »
Whereabouts are you travelling Rudedog? A trip around the highlands is on my to do list but I've heard it can get really busy which spoils it a bit.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #11674 on: 09 September 2021, 10:04 »
I'm staying near Fort William next to the Commando memorial, quite a lot of camper vans but yesterday I did a good run almost to Avimore and only really had cars behind me on the way back.
Only thing are the big HGVs used for timber and fishes, they hack along at the limit around the roads, only had to pull over once to let him shoot past!
Most of the roads I've been on are nice and smooth, almost as good as French ones.

SUL (BP) is the same price here as down at home in Kent.

Shame we seem to just missed the good weather from last week.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #11675 on: 12 September 2021, 10:51 »
Just as an update.... got home last night after doing the return journey, so from Fort William to my home in Kent I did 555 miles at 52.3 mpg, I brimmed the tank at the start and topped up with 30 litres at half way, in the end when I stopped on my drive I still had half a tank left which I'm really pleased with.

Must say the LED lights made driving at night on the motorway a lot less tiring.

One question... I had the 'take a break' warning ticked in the car menu which I thought would warn me after two hours of driving but I didn't notice anything, has anybody experienced this? When I used to use my old Tom Tom a little clock would flash on the screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11676 on: 12 September 2021, 11:56 »
Just as an update.... got home last night after doing the return journey, so from Fort William to my home in Kent I did 555 miles at 52.3 mpg, I brimmed the tank at the start and topped up with 30 litres at half way, in the end when I stopped on my drive I still had half a tank left which I'm really pleased with.

Very impressive economy. I managed 51 in my PP and thought it would do better.

One question... I had the 'take a break' warning ticked in the car menu which I thought would warn me after two hours of driving but I didn't notice anything, has anybody experienced this?

Perhaps you had nodded off! :laugh:

I've never had this come up on my 7.5.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11677 on: 12 September 2021, 11:57 »

Must say the LED lights made driving at night on the motorway a lot less tiring.

One question... I had the 'take a break' warning ticked in the car menu which I thought would warn me after two hours of driving but I didn't notice anything, has anybody experienced this? When I used to use my old Tom Tom a little clock would flash on the screen.

The driver alert / ‘take a break’ warning monitors driver behaviour rather than the length of time the car’s been driven, although there is likely to be a correlation between changes in driver behaviour that are an indication of tiredness and longer journeys. This is the explanation from VW’s website;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/technology/car-safety/driver-alert-system.html
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11678 on: 17 September 2021, 10:55 »
Service at local VW garage, for the GTi's 4th oil change after 2600 miles since the last one & 10,880 miles from new! Seems a bit of a waste? :)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11679 on: 17 September 2021, 11:20 »
Service at local VW garage, for the GTi's 4th oil change after 2600 miles since the last one & 10,880 miles from new! Seems a bit of a waste? :)

With your very low mileage, I’m making the assumption (apologies if my assumption’s incorrect) that you’re probably driving mainly short journeys that don’t give the engine oil an opportunity to get up to optimum operating temperature. If so, then I’d say changing the oil is definitely not a waste. With short journeys on a cold engine, there may be condensation in the oil that’s not ‘burnt off’ as it would be in a ‘hot’ engine, so the oil quality may deteriorate more in a low mileage, short journey car than it would in a car travelling longer journeys and a higher annual mileage.

There may also be other serviceable items that deteriorate with age, irrespective of a car’s mileage, so getting the car checked over once a year is worthwhile IMO :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl