Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785048 times)

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11160 on: 13 March 2021, 19:13 »
Fixed my sticky fuel filler flap. Really didn't want the bother of taking it in for a 5 minute job so out came a sharp knife and job done. All while my tea was brewing :smiley:

What did you ‘shave’? My fuel flap has stuck a couple of times; the last time on Thursday past. I thumped it with the heel of my hand a few times but it needs sorted properly before I break it. I noticed the catch swivels as it seats.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11161 on: 13 March 2021, 20:50 »
There's a very small plastic ridge on the flap, on top of the section that connects with the actuator and it catches on a similar sized rib when the cover closes. I shaved the plastic on the cover. This has pictures which illustrate it - https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7/sticking-fuel-filler-cover/index.php

I checked by closing the cover and watching the two ridges as they touched, I could feel them rubbing together which seems enough to resist the actuator pushing the flap open. You really only need to remove a tiny amount.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11162 on: 13 March 2021, 22:26 »
I had PS4 tyres on my 2014 GTI and liked them, the soft sidewall did not bother me, initial impressions of the PS4S are encouraging, they feel stiffer than the PS4 but haven’t been on the right roads. Will update when I’ve done a few more miles.

How do you find the cross climates compared to the PS4?
the cross climates have been great in the cold temperatures but they'll be coming off and the S001s will be going back on. They were brilliant in the snow, never once lost traction 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #11163 on: 13 March 2021, 22:36 »
There's a very small plastic ridge on the flap, on top of the section that connects with the actuator and it catches on a similar sized rib when the cover closes. I shaved the plastic on the cover. This has pictures which illustrate it - https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7/sticking-fuel-filler-cover/index.php

I checked by closing the cover and watching the two ridges as they touched, I could feel them rubbing together which seems enough to resist the actuator pushing the flap open. You really only need to remove a tiny amount.

Thanks I’ll use this and get a proper look before I decide what to do.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #11164 on: 13 March 2021, 23:25 »
Fixed my sticky fuel filler flap. Really didn't want the bother of taking it in for a 5 minute job so out came a sharp knife and job done. All while my tea was brewing :smiley:

Mine has just started doing this in the last month or so, don't know why but I just put it down to the weather 😂

Easy enough job?

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #11165 on: 14 March 2021, 00:07 »
Thanks Watts. Attenuator is much more descriptive than ‘catch’.  :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11166 on: 14 March 2021, 09:19 »

Mine has just started doing this in the last month or so, don't know why but I just put it down to the weather 😂

Easy enough job?

If it is that then 5 minutes including going to the shed and back to fetch the knife, put shopping bags back in the boot, do the job and be sat back down with a cuppa!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rtg1200

• Just got here
« Reply #11167 on: 14 March 2021, 22:10 »
This weekend I got the resonator 'delete' pipe fitted at Zaustworx in Burnley, after reading mixed reviews of them i thought it was worth a gamble and i think its an improvement, i feel its how the car should be from factory.

Also the day after we got the car i disabled keyless entry with my work diagnostic kit. Im not sure if theres another way to disable it but told the car it no longer had passive entry handles, so keyless start still works but all doors except tailgate dont open without a press of the remote.

Had the golf a week tomorrow and spent every evening in it so far, very pleased

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11168 on: 15 March 2021, 15:43 »
Managed to get out in the Wife's Polo ,very different from the mk7 , good fun and very likable indeed ,The laws have a UP Gti be keen to have a go in that out of interest.

« Last Edit: 15 March 2021, 15:51 by Jason b »
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #11169 on: 15 March 2021, 17:09 »
My brother has an Up! GTI. I have driven it back to back a few times with my GTI. Great fun and I can see its appeal.