Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785020 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10450 on: 09 July 2020, 14:26 »
Right, just finished fitting the rear seat USB charging centre console mod. Part was purchased from AliExpress.

Luckily due to me having the factory wireless charging module (before it was dropped shortly thereafter), it meant I could access the multi plug for the cigarette lighter though the cubby under the arm rest (by unplugging and removing the 2nd USB socket and front plate in the armrest cubby), meaning I didn’t have to strip down the centre console.

Seems to fit like a glove and looks factory and works brilliantly. Note these are power only (not data), the 2 data & power USB plugs in the car remain up front. Took about 30 mins all in. I’d guess a couple of hours if you have to strip the centre console.

Do you have a link for the floor mats?
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10451 on: 09 July 2020, 14:41 »
Right, just finished fitting the rear seat USB charging centre console mod. Part was purchased from AliExpress.

Luckily due to me having the factory wireless charging module (before it was dropped shortly thereafter), it meant I could access the multi plug for the cigarette lighter though the cubby under the arm rest (by unplugging and removing the 2nd USB socket and front plate in the armrest cubby), meaning I didn’t have to strip down the centre console.

Seems to fit like a glove and looks factory and works brilliantly. Note these are power only (not data), the 2 data & power USB plugs in the car remain up front. Took about 30 mins all in. I’d guess a couple of hours if you have to strip the centre console.

That looks very cool. Well done fella.
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10452 on: 11 July 2020, 19:52 »
Changed back to my winter wheel set up with cross climates as I will be doing a few motorway journeys back up to Newcastle in the next weeks and no point wearing my CUP2s with over 1000 motorway miles. Much prefer the stance of the 8 inch rim ET45 wheel so I need to get spacers for my belvederes. Will give the belvederes a good clean and seal then when they are off the car; better late than never!!
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #10453 on: 12 July 2020, 14:40 »
All wheels off to give a thorough clean.
I know it takes longer but there is something more satisfying about doing them 100%.

Finally got round to cleaning up the hubs. Mine hadn't rusted like some but it always did annoy me.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10454 on: 12 July 2020, 14:56 »
Looking great :smiley: I need to get my wheels off soon for a deep clean. Did you paint your hubs, if so, what with? That's another job on my list. My 2015 PP hubs were still good when I sold it but my new car hubs were worse at a few months old when I picked it up :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #10455 on: 12 July 2020, 15:41 »
Proper job there p3asa!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #10456 on: 12 July 2020, 21:03 »
Looking great :smiley: I need to get my wheels off soon for a deep clean. Did you paint your hubs, if so, what with? That's another job on my list. My 2015 PP hubs were still good when I sold it but my new car hubs were worse at a few months old when I picked it up :rolleyes:

I think its just your luck with the hubs. My wifes's GTI was full of rust after 6 months and the dealer refused to sort them.
Mine just looked tired and rundown.

I just used hammerite silver.

I'd painted my daughters Polo's hubs when she first got it and it lasted for 4 years!!

Proper job there p3asa!

Thanks. My hands are paying for it now with all those chemicals  :grin:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10457 on: 13 July 2020, 10:42 »

Might have been taken down to a cheap hand carwash by the previous owner as they use some pretty harmful chemicals. Saw a 69 plate Evoque at our nursery and the callipers were completely rusted. And yet people will still go and pay £6 or £7 for a wash.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10458 on: 13 July 2020, 13:48 »

Might have been taken down to a cheap hand carwash by the previous owner as they use some pretty harmful chemicals. Saw a 69 plate Evoque at our nursery and the callipers were completely rusted. And yet people will still go and pay £6 or £7 for a wash.

100% agree. My 2018 (new to me) has rust over ever bit of every hub, no doubt the result of cheap, acid based car washing.... I've just corrected the paintwork (to approx. 80% swirl & hologram free), so next on my jobs list is getting some silver Hammerite on those hubs  :angry:
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10459 on: 13 July 2020, 14:03 »

100% agree. My 2018 (new to me) has rust over ever bit of every hub, no doubt the result of cheap, acid based car washing.... I've just corrected the paintwork (to approx. 80% swirl & hologram free), so next on my jobs list is getting some silver Hammerite on those hubs  :angry:

I don't think the newer GTI hubs are great anyway, mine had bits of rust and I'd used safe, chemical-free products from new.

My new 330e has incredible hubs which almost mirror-like. Interested to see how they look over time.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey