Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785034 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9470 on: 14 May 2019, 16:49 »
thanks to Exonian who gave me good advice on the best wheels to suit the car.

They look fantastic Alan, best 18” design I’ve seen on a mk7 easily. They look way better than 18” Pretorias and suit the car perfectly.
Good to see the Polo caps fit well too, i was going to suggest trying those but was beaten to it as I didn’t get online for a while. Handy to have proper confirmation from Borbet though.
Do your OEM bolt caps fit in the bolt holes ok? The holes looks quite big.

Really pleased with the wheels Andy and all the bolt caps fit fine except for the McGard locking wheel bolt albeit I think I can make this fit with a bit of doctoring. A Black wheel bolt would have sufficed but McGard don't make one to suit the bolt length I needed.

You can normally cut the inner tabs out of the locking bolt cover then slide the outer shell over the round bolt head. Sometimes you need a shim and sometimes they can be a snug fit.

Can’t get over how good those wheels look  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9471 on: 15 May 2019, 16:34 »
My brand new (1500miles) GTI Performance (MY19)  is in the garage for a rattling heat shield which has been bugging me for the last few weeks. While it was in they have found a major oil leak - not good news, they think it’s coming from the gearbox. Anyone else had these issues so early on with their GTIs?

I've suffered a leak from under the car for a week or so after noticing staining on the block paving below... MY2019 2100 miles on the clock.
Dropped the car off at Inchcape earlier today and just now received a telephone call saying they need to take the gearbox (DSG) out to check exactly where the leak is coming from.
Not good for a new car which leaves me highly depressed and with fitting me in today they didn't have a courtesy car so it leaves me without a car  :cry:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9472 on: 15 May 2019, 17:17 »
I'd be kicking up a fuss and saying it isn't acceptable for a car that new to be off the road so early and that under the circumstances the least VW could do is provide alternative transport. Maybe go straight to dealer principle and then VW UK after.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline jdc0907

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9473 on: 16 May 2019, 07:19 »
My brand new (1500miles) GTI Performance (MY19)  is in the garage for a rattling heat shield which has been bugging me for the last few weeks. While it was in they have found a major oil leak - not good news, they think it’s coming from the gearbox. Anyone else had these issues so early on with their GTIs?

I've suffered a leak from under the car for a week or so after noticing staining on the block paving below... MY2019 2100 miles on the clock.
Dropped the car off at Inchcape earlier today and just now received a telephone call saying they need to take the gearbox (DSG) out to check exactly where the leak is coming from.
Not good for a new car which leaves me highly depressed and with fitting me in today they didn't have a courtesy car so it leaves me without a car  :cry:

Mine was in for a week and got it back yesterday. It’s a manual but it was a faulty seal on the diff in the end which was replaced under warranty. Was a real pain in the backside with courtesy cars etc I ended up having 3 different ones in the space of a week!

The buzz/rattle has not been sorted either (I’ve started a new post on this to see if anyone here has any bright ideas) so it’s going back in on Friday.
Current: GTI Mk7.5 PP MY19
Previous: Polo BlueGT MY16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9474 on: 16 May 2019, 08:29 »

They didn't have any car they could let you have? That's disgraceful. I wouldn't have the left the dealers without a car!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9475 on: 16 May 2019, 09:29 »

They didn't have any car they could let you have? That's disgraceful. I wouldn't have the left the dealers without a car!

To be honest Jim I am more bothered about how the car is looked after whilst its with them and then how it will shape up when they have put it back together.  Its obviously a sizable task to take out the gearbox and leaves me nervous what they may leave behind after its been put back in.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9476 on: 16 May 2019, 09:42 »

To be honest Jim I am more bothered about how the car is looked after whilst its with them and then how it will shape up when they have put it back together.  Its obviously a sizable task to take out the gearbox and leaves me nervous what they may leave behind after its been put back in.

Yes, understand your point of view. Seems to a few issues with 2019 cars. Gearbox out at 2k miles isn't really acceptable though.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #9477 on: 16 May 2019, 14:33 »

They look fantastic Alan, best 18” design I’ve seen on a mk7 easily. They look way better than 18” Pretorias and suit the car perfectly.
Good to see the Polo caps fit well too, i was going to suggest trying those but was beaten to it as I didn’t get online for a while. Handy to have proper confirmation from Borbet though.

What's this? Polo caps are a different size to Golf?  What size are they? I have some cheap VW caps on my aftermarket alloys because the original VW ones were too big.

Any info gratefully received  :smiley:

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9478 on: 16 May 2019, 15:09 »

What's this? Polo caps are a different size to Golf?  What size are they? I have some cheap VW caps on my aftermarket alloys because the original VW ones were too big.

Any info gratefully received  :smiley:

The VW caps which fit my Borbet FF1s perfectly are from a Polo, part number 6C0-601-171 > 55.5mm

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #9479 on: 16 May 2019, 15:51 »
The VW caps which fit my Borbet FF1s perfectly are from a Polo, part number 6C0-601-171 > 55.5mm

Perfect, my centre caps are that size too - where did you order from?

:cool: