Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784994 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9450 on: 10 May 2019, 16:18 »
Cheers Exonian :smiley: The last couple of visits to the dealer have been very boring, nothing much of interest in the showroom. They had a Polo today that looked more fun, I think it was in white silver but actually didn't look too bad, seemed to be a special edition with a few decals and a good splash of colour to the interior. All the Golfs looked boring.

Probably a Polo Beats model Watts. Not a special edition but a regular production model in the Polo range, and available with a range of earth shattering 1.0 litre three cylinder engines producing 65, 80 or 95 ps (there’s a 1.6 80ps diesel too). It has a stripe that runs along the roof and bonnet on the driver’s side of the car, and the interior colour scheme is a mix of cream, red and grey. It has the Beats audio system (the Polo equivalent of Dynaudio in the Golf), hence the Polo Beats model name.

I think the Beats model is VW’s attempt to attract the younger owner to the Polo range. I’m not a fan of the interior colour scheme (IMO it’s a bit Marmite), but then I’m far too ancient to be in VW’s target audience for the Beats model! :grin:

Carbon door mirror caps look very good by the way :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9451 on: 10 May 2019, 17:13 »
Love the mirror caps Watts. They look brill.

Cheers! I'm just pleased they fitted and I didn't break anything fitting them. Perhaps I should get some lottery tickets this week :whistle:

Cheers Exonian :smiley: The last couple of visits to the dealer have been very boring, nothing much of interest in the showroom. They had a Polo today that looked more fun, I think it was in white silver but actually didn't look too bad, seemed to be a special edition with a few decals and a good splash of colour to the interior. All the Golfs looked boring.

Probably a Polo Beats model Watts. Not a special edition but a regular production model in the Polo range, and available with a range of earth shattering 1.0 litre three cylinder engines producing 65, 80 or 95 ps (there’s a 1.6 80ps diesel too). It has a stripe that runs along the roof and bonnet on the driver’s side of the car, and the interior colour scheme is a mix of cream, red and grey. It has the Beats audio system (the Polo equivalent of Dynaudio in the Golf), hence the Polo Beats model name.

I think the Beats model is VW’s attempt to attract the younger owner to the Polo range. I’m not a fan of the interior colour scheme (IMO it’s a bit Marmite), but then I’m far too ancient to be in VW’s target audience for the Beats model! :grin:

Carbon door mirror caps look very good by the way :smiley:.

Just been back to pick mine up and had another look whilst waiting. You're right, it was a Beats model with the 80PS engine. £18k :shocked: I was thinking more for my OH. I'm also not the target audience for one of those! OH has a 50PS (when new, god knows how many are left) 1.0 2003 Lupo so a 60+% power hike should be noticeable depending on the weight disadvantage of the Polo. And thanks for the comment on the caps, no matter what happens now, I'm not buying any more :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9452 on: 10 May 2019, 21:01 »

Just been back to pick mine up and had another look whilst waiting. You're right, it was a Beats model with the 80PS engine. £18k :shocked: I was thinking more for my OH. I'm also not the target audience for one of those! OH has a 50PS (when new, god knows how many are left) 1.0 2003 Lupo so a 60+% power hike should be noticeable depending on the weight disadvantage of the Polo. And thanks for the comment on the caps, no matter what happens now, I'm not buying any more :rolleyes:

The pricing structure of the Polo range is crazy - very little difference between  the flagship GTI+ and the low to middle end of the range with a 1.0TSI variant engine. If it hadn't been pulled, the 1.5TSI Evo R-line was within a few hundred quid of the GTI+. Given the far better residuals of the GTI+ (anticipated, based on PCP GFVs) vs the lower models, there's very little between the PCP monthlies. Buying a Beats or SEL over a GTI+ seems poor value unless you're chasing mpg savings. On uncluttered roads, the Polo GTI+ is good on the fuel. In heavy traffic it's on par with my old Golf R, but you won't be working it hard all the time like you will the 1.0 engine.

Comparing that 50ps Lupo to an 80ps beats might not see much advantage in the Polo despite 60% more power.

The Polo is as big as a MK4 Golf and only weighs about 40kg less than the equivalent engined MK7 Golf.

So you have 60% more power, 40% more weight, and ridiculously tall WLTP compliant gearing on the Polo.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2019, 21:04 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9453 on: 10 May 2019, 21:31 »
Comparing that 50ps Lupo to an 80ps beats might not see much advantage in the Polo despite 60% more power.

The Polo is as big as a MK4 Golf and only weighs about 40kg less than the equivalent engined MK7 Golf.

So you have 60% more power, 40% more weight, and ridiculously tall WLTP compliant gearing on the Polo.

Just had a quick look, 0-60 17s in the Lupo, 15.4s in the Polo. The Lupo is geared for town driving so it is happy in 5th around 30mph. Terrible on a motorway though, we drove up to Teesside from London when we first got it, deafening at motorway speeds! Vowed never to do that again and haven't :laugh: Academic anyway as she doesn't want to change it, 48k miles in 16 years and has been exceptionally reliable, cheapest motoring we've had.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9454 on: 10 May 2019, 22:00 »

Just had a quick look, 0-60 17s in the Lupo, 15.4s in the Polo. The Lupo is geared for town driving so it is happy in 5th around 30mph. Terrible on a motorway though, we drove up to Teesside from London when we first got it, deafening at motorway speeds! Vowed never to do that again and haven't :laugh: Academic anyway as she doesn't want to change it, 48k miles in 16 years and has been exceptionally reliable, cheapest motoring we've had.

I always regretted almost buying a new Lupo GTI and buying a new Polo 1.9TDI Sport instead back in 2001. My mate had one, and my wife learned to drive in one. It was a great car back then and even now, VW have not made a better pocket rocket - the UP! GTI doesn't even match up to it now, 18 years later.

I see a pristine one most mornings on my commute, in a cobalt blue metallic (unsure of the official name of the colour) just to serve as a daily reminder of the choice I should've made!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9455 on: 11 May 2019, 13:36 »
Treated the Golf to a pair of Falkens on the front.The plan is a set for the rear and fit Brembo discs and pads at the same time .. Getting there ! love the car and only using it at weekends highlights how good they are far better than the roads around here !
« Last Edit: 11 May 2019, 14:00 by Jason b »
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9456 on: 13 May 2019, 09:38 »

Just bought a set of Borbet FF1 wheels in Dark Titan.  Usual pre clean with Bilberry wheel cleaner and Tardis followed by a coat of C5 Wheel Armour now leaving overnight to dry.
Only problem being is that the centre cap diameter is smaller on the Borbet than the standard VW cap and I would much prefer the VW badge. Just wondered on the best way to get over this?

Have a look at the cap from a 2016 Polo Bluemotion, same as mk7 golf only smaller diameter.
 We have one at the moment, once the car comes back here  from paint shop I will snap a pic and post.

Thanks, if you could take a few dims it would be much appreciated. For a snug fit on the Borbet wheel it would be 56mm diam overall on the face and 52mm across the connection lugs (back side).  These dims have been taken off the Borbet center caps sent with the wheels.

I sent an email to Borbet yesterday asking for info on the Hub Centre Cap arrangement and their email response today is that they actually make wheels direct for VW and that the VW part number for the FF1 wheel is - 6C0.601.171.  Will be ordering today at RPS.

Did you get sorted with these and have you got some pictures to share? Still quite interested in fitting some FF1's!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9457 on: 13 May 2019, 12:29 »

Just bought a set of Borbet FF1 wheels in Dark Titan.  Usual pre clean with Bilberry wheel cleaner and Tardis followed by a coat of C5 Wheel Armour now leaving overnight to dry.
Only problem being is that the centre cap diameter is smaller on the Borbet than the standard VW cap and I would much prefer the VW badge. Just wondered on the best way to get over this?

Have a look at the cap from a 2016 Polo Bluemotion, same as mk7 golf only smaller diameter.
 We have one at the moment, once the car comes back here  from paint shop I will snap a pic and post.

Thanks, if you could take a few dims it would be much appreciated. For a snug fit on the Borbet wheel it would be 56mm diam overall on the face and 52mm across the connection lugs (back side).  These dims have been taken off the Borbet center caps sent with the wheels.

I sent an email to Borbet yesterday asking for info on the Hub Centre Cap arrangement and their email response today is that they actually make wheels direct for VW and that the VW part number for the FF1 wheel is - 6C0.601.171.  Will be ordering today at RPS.

Did you get sorted with these and have you got some pictures to share? Still quite interested in fitting some FF1's!

Yes I have the FF1's fitted and the genuine VW centre caps off a Polo are an excellent fit. Haven't a clue how to post images so may need some guidance.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9458 on: 13 May 2019, 13:18 »

Yes I have the FF1's fitted and the genuine VW centre caps off a Polo are an excellent fit. Haven't a clue how to post images so may need some guidance.

Sounds good! Register free with this below and you can create albums. Once uploaded click Hotlinks for Forums and it will display a nice pic on here.

https://postimages.org/
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9459 on: 13 May 2019, 17:05 »

Sounds good! Register free with this below and you can create albums. Once uploaded click Hotlinks for Forums and it will display a nice pic on here.

https://postimages.org/

Not sure whether this has worked but we can only try!!