Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784992 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9440 on: 09 May 2019, 15:55 »
Finally got around to fitting my new CF mirror caps. I've broken or had broken a few sets now so hopefully these ones will last :rolleyes: Sub £100 off ebay and fit well albeit more fiddly to fit than oem.

Tomorrow the car goes in for a major service and MoT, hopefully it'll come back unscathed :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jdc0907

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9441 on: 09 May 2019, 18:13 »
My brand new (1500miles) GTI Performance (MY19)  is in the garage for a rattling heat shield which has been bugging me for the last few weeks. While it was in they have found a major oil leak - not good news, they think it’s coming from the gearbox. Anyone else had these issues so early on with their GTIs?
Current: GTI Mk7.5 PP MY19
Previous: Polo BlueGT MY16

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9442 on: 09 May 2019, 23:08 »
I used to have mk5 GT TDI 170 years ago and at about 17000 miles it developed an oil leak and this put hot oil onto heat shield which cracked and rattled and then one day went to a customer meeting less than 5 miles from my office, and got there to find smoke billowing out of engine bay.

Get the oil leak fixed straightaway or you may find bigger problems develop. I ended up getting car fixed under warranty and then part ex it after losing confidence with it big time!

Good luck with getting problem sorted.  I have not had any probs in over 7000 miles so far with my gti performance other than stone chips on my Brescia wheels which seem more prone than most cars to this especially on rear wheels!
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline jdc0907

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9443 on: 10 May 2019, 07:25 »
I used to have mk5 GT TDI 170 years ago and at about 17000 miles it developed an oil leak and this put hot oil onto heat shield which cracked and rattled and then one day went to a customer meeting less than 5 miles from my office, and got there to find smoke billowing out of engine bay.

Get the oil leak fixed straightaway or you may find bigger problems develop. I ended up getting car fixed under warranty and then part ex it after losing confidence with it big time!

Good luck with getting problem sorted.  I have not had any probs in over 7000 miles so far with my gti performance other than stone chips on my Brescia wheels which seem more prone than most cars to this especially on rear wheels!

They haven’t yet said whether the oil leak has caused the heat shield rattle but that would make sense. It’s getting all sorted under warranty and I should hopefully have it back today. Yes you’re right I have lost confidence with the car especially given what I paid for it! Any ideas where I would stand with VW in part-exing it or asking for a different car? I’ve had the car 7 weeks
Current: GTI Mk7.5 PP MY19
Previous: Polo BlueGT MY16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9444 on: 10 May 2019, 10:56 »
Finally got around to fitting my new CF mirror caps. I've broken or had broken a few sets now so hopefully these ones will last :rolleyes: Sub £100 off ebay and fit well albeit more fiddly to fit than oem.

Tomorrow the car goes in for a major service and MoT, hopefully it'll come back unscathed :rolleyes:

Fantastic! Might be worth sharing a link as the ones I got from eBay were about £115 and definitely didn't fit!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9445 on: 10 May 2019, 11:24 »

Fantastic! Might be worth sharing a link as the ones I got from eBay were about £115 and definitely didn't fit!

Cheers Jim, it was these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK7-Carbon-Fibre-Mirror-Covers-Full-Replacement-Style-GTI-GT-TDI-Golf-R/253072910941?fits=Model:Golf%7CPlat_Gen:MK+VII&hash=item3aec522a5d:g:JsYAAOSwYSRZjyz7&redirect=mobile
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9446 on: 10 May 2019, 11:38 »
Dropped mine off this morning for an MoT and a major service. Driving it with the pedalbox switched off was the usual disappointment, having anticipated this I left it on until very near the garage. They've loaned me a Golf 1.5 petrol Bluemotion in undercoat grey. A vast improvement on the last loan car I had which was an up!, it's achillies was the gearbox, the worst auto I've ever come across, a disgrace. The loan Golf goes okay, a bit slow to get going (as expected) but once rolling it's not too bad, not keen on the new dash, the flat display area just looks cheap like a budget stereo and the interior is a bit boring. If I was in the market for a basic car I don't think I could spend the amount of money these things cost on this, probably better off spending much less on a properly cheap car. Or something a bit older. :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9447 on: 10 May 2019, 14:40 »
The mirrors look really good Watts  :smiley:
A slightly less traumatic experience than before! Let’s hope your dealer visit is trauma free this time too!

Having had a boredom induced nose around the dealership whilst waiting for my own car to be serviced a few weeks ago I have to agree that a lot of the non performance facelifted Golfs do look dreary as hell and have to agree, I’d spend my money elsewhere if I didn’t want a GTI/D or R.
The pre-FL (non GTI/D etc) cars weren’t too bad inside with proper dials and more sculpturing around the head-unit but the later models are expensive and bland.
My money would be going towards a Polo/Ibiza/A1 or maybe something different altogether if I needed new or nearly new, but quite likely I think something older and better value would be a more enticing purchase.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9448 on: 10 May 2019, 14:50 »
Cheers Exonian :smiley: The last couple of visits to the dealer have been very boring, nothing much of interest in the showroom. They had a Polo today that looked more fun, I think it was in white silver but actually didn't look too bad, seemed to be a special edition with a few decals and a good splash of colour to the interior. All the Golfs looked boring.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9449 on: 10 May 2019, 16:11 »
Love the mirror caps Watts. They look brill.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.