Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785009 times)

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9010 on: 09 December 2018, 13:59 »

Sealed my new wheels which I will use for winters.
18" Pretoria copies from CM wheels.
Getting Goodyear Ultra Performance Gen-1 tyres hopefully this week to fit next weekend.

They do look darker than on the website. Did you manage to get Centre caps sorted? I have bought 56mm centre cap stickers which come slightly domed to fit the provided blanks.
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9011 on: 09 December 2018, 14:03 »

Sealed my new wheels which I will use for winters.
18" Pretoria copies from CM wheels.
Getting Goodyear Ultra Performance Gen-1 tyres hopefully this week to fit next weekend.

They do look darker than on the website. Did you manage to get Centre caps sorted? I have bought 56mm centre cap stickers which come slightly domed to fit the provided blanks.

Yep order 56mm centre cap stickers of eBay,  seem to fit nicely on caps provided with the wheel.
The guy I spoke to at CM Wheels said heat the stickers slightly with hairdryer to help them stick better.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9012 on: 09 December 2018, 14:07 »

Here is pic, just resting on wheel at moment.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9013 on: 09 December 2018, 14:28 »
Tried to fit some carbon mirror caps today... unfortunately despite buying what I thought would be a decent product, they don’t fit.

Anyone fitted new mirror caps? Shouldn’t need to be forced into place should they? The OEM one slotted back with almost no effort. Quality of the finish is good but they just aren’t the same shape as the inside part is too curved in.

Been there, broken that :rolleyes: The problem is they fix the cf on top of a non oem part which probably wouldn't have fitted properly in the first place. The cf looks good but the standard VW black gloss ones look great and fit properly for a reasonable price.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9014 on: 09 December 2018, 14:50 »
Carbon mirrors were avail as factory option on the 7R, spendy I bet, have you enquired ?
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9015 on: 09 December 2018, 15:59 »

Here is pic, just resting on wheel at moment.

Nice, please put some pics up when you've fitted them.  :cool:
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9016 on: 09 December 2018, 16:19 »
Do these weigh roughly the same as a standard VW wheel? I'm interested in a set for putting some Bridgestone A005s on too.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9017 on: 09 December 2018, 17:02 »
Tried to fit some carbon mirror caps today... unfortunately despite buying what I thought would be a decent product, they don’t fit.

Anyone fitted new mirror caps? Shouldn’t need to be forced into place should they? The OEM one slotted back with almost no effort. Quality of the finish is good but they just aren’t the same shape as the inside part is too curved in.

Been there, broken that :rolleyes: The problem is they fix the cf on top of a non oem part which probably wouldn't have fitted properly in the first place. The cf looks good but the standard VW black gloss ones look great and fit properly for a reasonable price.

Yeah, decided that forcing them isn’t going to work especially when it’s not that warm out.

Disappointed, thought they looked great but such a shame can’t get the right fit  :sad:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #9018 on: 09 December 2018, 17:07 »
Do these weigh roughly the same as a standard VW wheel? I'm interested in a set for putting some Bridgestone A005s on too.

Quite a difference in price to genuine VW alloys.
I wonder if there is a big difference in quality ?
https://vdsshop.co.uk/collections/mk7-golf-gti/products/vw-18-pretoria-alloy-wheel-set-18-x-7-5-5-x-112-et51-gloss-black
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9019 on: 09 December 2018, 17:21 »

Quite a difference in price to genuine VW alloys.
I wonder if there is a big difference in quality ?
https://vdsshop.co.uk/collections/mk7-golf-gti/products/vw-18-pretoria-alloy-wheel-set-18-x-7-5-5-x-112-et51-gloss-black

The price differential suggests there’d be some quality difference, although IMO, I always think that VW charge top dollar for their alloys when bought as an aftermarket accessory.

It’d be interesting to know who manufactures the Pretorias sold by CM Wheels, and whether they’ve been subjected to the same TUV or JWL (or equivalent) safety testing that VW OEM wheels (and aftermarket wheels from the likes of BBS) are. Documentation supplied with the wheels and the impressed marks on the reverse of the spokes would clarify this.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2018, 17:23 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl