Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785066 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8950 on: 01 November 2018, 18:07 »
Oh no! No damage anywhere else? My last mirror replacement was done by VW at about £420 but that didn't include the mirror glass or the cap so you are going to go well over £500 what with the cap needing paint too. Presumably their insurance will pick up the tab?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8951 on: 01 November 2018, 18:16 »
That's a shame Rebecca. Hope it hasn't damaged any other paintwork.

Oh no! No damage anywhere else? My last mirror replacement was done by VW at about £420 but that didn't include the mirror glass or the cap so you are going to go well over £500 what with the cap needing paint too. Presumably their insurance will pick up the tab?

Thankfully no damage to the door or any paintwork, so it could have been much worse, and it being an paramedic car responding to a call out, a door mirror not a big deal  compared to someone in need of emergency care. 

I know I’m looking at £500+  but should be able to recoup it from the ambulance service.  Keen to get it sorted as hate a damaged car.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8952 on: 02 November 2018, 15:02 »
Had my mirror damage assessed this morning by my bodyshop, and just got the quote through.  Complete replacement wing mirror plus mounting bracket required.  Also a new genuine drivers’ side window needed as the mirror shattering has scratched and chipped the window, so that plus new window seals.  £750 all in. Want to get it done ASAP and at my trusted bodyshop so I’ll be booking it in.   I hope the ambulance service coughs up and reimburses me.

Also asked them to do a 4 wheel laser alignment check whilst it’s in.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8953 on: 02 November 2018, 15:53 »
Jeez... £750 is plenty. Just shows - 'it's only a mirror as they drive off'....
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #8954 on: 02 November 2018, 16:30 »
£750! Wow. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thought I had it bad. My dad took my car out today and has managed to kerb an alloy. He was literally out for 5 minutes.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8955 on: 02 November 2018, 16:54 »
Jeez... £750 is plenty. Just shows - 'it's only a mirror as they drive off'....

Yes, “only a wing mirror!”  Wing mirrors these dats are complex things with all the electronic adjustability and heated elements etc, so they ain’t cheap!  The replacement window is inexpensive by comparison but a common victim when the mirror shatters and hits the glass according to the assessor who was the one that spotted the window damage.

£750! Wow. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thought I had it bad. My dad took my car out today and has managed to kerb an alloy. He was literally out for 5 minutes.

Nooo!  A costly 5 mins! I hope you get it sorted and your dad doesn’t feel too bad over it.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #8956 on: 02 November 2018, 17:58 »
To be fair he knows what I’m like with cars. His face said everything!

There’s always one thing you can bank on: repairs always cost more than expected.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8957 on: 02 November 2018, 19:26 »
To be fair he knows what I’m like with cars. His face said everything!

There’s always one thing you can bank on: repairs always cost more than expected.

Yes indeed.  The small dent to my offside front wing was repaired last week, and you'd never know that anything had happened, but at the cost of £450.  Such is life.

On the subject of door mirrors, my Mark 6 TDI had a similar wipe-out by some moron in a Corsa, but luckily the coloured mirror cap, indicator LED's and everything except the (heated) mirror glass was salvageable, so a few minutes on eBay, £15 and a few minutes of my time had it sorted.  My sympathies, Rebecca, but at least there's no other damage.

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8958 on: 02 November 2018, 23:38 »
Picked mine up today -1st ever GTi 😊

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8959 on: 06 November 2018, 16:39 »
Picked mine up today -1st ever GTi 😊

You're winning at life!  :cool:

Just bought new boots for the front. They only seem to last about 12 months...... :whistle:

X2 Pilot Sport 4 - £179 fully fitted - using Michelin discount and also Saturday afternoon fitment discount & 5% cashback via Quidco.com

https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consumer
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.